Talkin' with Jimmy (1 Viewer)

Cliff

Nitro Member
Every once in awhile, I get to talk to one of my heros, Jimmy Ige. Sons of the Rising Sun JR/F and later Blown alky dragster, etc. He always has cool stories. Told me that his son was an engineer for Mazda and was involved in the front wheel drive Compact class some years ago. His son asks Jimmy to go out to the track with his car and watch. So Jimmy calls up Roland Leong and they go out to the track. Announcer spots Roland and asks him if he is gonna run a FWD car. Noooooo...... heh Anyhoo, Jimmy is wearing a team shirt & his son says, just go up to the starting line and watch the car launch. So Jimmy does that and in all the years he raced, he'd never stood behind a car for the launch. So new experience for Mr JR/F. We also talked about Rick Stewart. Jimmy & Rick knew each other "back then". Jimmy said Rick was a great guy & great to talk to. So just thought I'd share with all y'all.

Every once in awhile, I get to talk to one of my heros, Jimmy Ige. Sons of the Rising Sun JR/F and later Blown alky dragster, etc. He always has cool stories. Told me that his son was an engineer for Mazda and was involved in the front wheel drive Compact class some years ago. His son asks Jimmy to go out to the track with his car and watch. So Jimmy calls up Roland Leong and they go out to the track. Announcer spots Roland and asks him if he is gonna run a FWD car. Noooooo...... heh Anyhoo, Jimmy is wearing a team shirt & his son says, just go up to the starting line and watch the car launch. So Jimmy does that and in all the years he raced, he'd never stood behind a car for the launch. So new experience for Mr JR/F. We also talked about Rick Stewart. Jimmy & Rick knew each other "back then". Jimmy said Rick was a great guy & great to talk to. So just thought I'd share with all y'all.
Right On Cliff, love the old stories! Sons of the Rising Sun one of my all time favorite photos.
Jimmy tossing the little Chevy out at Bakersfield March Meet 1970. JR/Fuel on nitro. I can dig that!
1649203474627.png

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back