no racing at bristol (1 Viewer)

Seriously how long does it take to fix it. They could have gave people a heads up this past week. Why can't they do it the next weekend, after the original Bristol date?

I'd be willing to bet that whoever mixed those batches of concrete don't have a job anymore.
Id be willing to bet if they took samples of that concrete and sent it to an ASTM lab, Bruton would have a heck of a lawsuit against the concrete supplier for his loss of a season. Most concrete plants today are part of large corporate regional chains with deep pockets. Unless they did the pour in freezing weather, Or instead of a superplasticiser using extra water to lengthen set time and workability which severely weakens the batch, . a one weekend application of de-icing road salts shouldn't effect the concrete immediately unless it had not achieved its set strength which can take 30 days. Too much surface water during concrete finishing can produce dusting and spalling, Dirty aggregate or sands contaminated with salts (beach sands) or organic material can cause a loss of aggregate bond.

Seriously how long does it take to fix it. They could have gave people a heads up this past week. Why can't they do it the next weekend, after the original Bristol date?

Amanda - this is not like having your driveway repaved! First - ALL of the concrete in place will have to be removed . . . a huge job. IF Bruton & Co are doing this right, there should be stressed steel cables in the pour, which means the transition area will also have to be torn up. After the pour, curing needs to be carefully controlled. "Fixing" it is not an option - it's going to have to be done over. Saw how bad concrete can get when we installed the first concrete drive-thru lane at a McDonald's in Alaska! - :eek:

Amanda - this is not like having your driveway repaved! First - ALL of the concrete in place will have to be removed . . . a huge job. IF Bruton & Co are doing this right, there should be stressed steel cables in the pour, which means the transition area will also have to be torn up. After the pour, curing needs to be carefully controlled. "Fixing" it is not an option - it's going to have to be done over. Saw how bad concrete can get when we installed the first concrete drive-thru lane at a McDonald's in Alaska! - :eek:

That sucks! You would have thought we would have gotten more than a weeks warning though, ya know?

they had let it cure for bout 25 days before we ran on it and the reason nhra didnt give heads up on it cause they where not sure until today. the old concrete they had left on the track they had put epoxy on the bad spots and it was slick. i dont think the new date will give them enough time. rumor has it that the contractor was from ohio and he was the low bidder ( we all know how this works). Jeff Byrd was at the test tuesday and was very unhappy with the whole situation. guess we are bracket racing at a ihra track this year (elk creek here we come)

Damn, NHRA cant pull an IHRA (San Antonio 2007) and just repave it over night and run fuel cars the next morning! I swear I will never show up to a national event ever again and see that happening.

what's worse? finding out a week in advance, or letting everyone show up in hopes of squeeking through the events with crappy performances and excuses and then it gets cancelled anyways. i don't think nhra had much of a choice. at least ihra was able to do the 1/8 mile deal because it was the second half NOT the starting line that was coming apart.

they had let it cure for bout 25 days before we ran on it and the reason nhra didnt give heads up on it cause they where not sure until today. the old concrete they had left on the track they had put epoxy on the bad spots and it was slick. i dont think the new date will give them enough time. rumor has it that the contractor was from ohio and he was the low bidder ( we all know how this works). Jeff Byrd was at the test tuesday and was very unhappy with the whole situation. guess we are bracket racing at a ihra track this year (elk creek here we come)

Wow - hard to believe something like this could happen at a Bruton Smith track. Guess I missed the fact that only part of the pad was replaced. And then . .. epoxy patches? If NHRA knew about problems before this week and did not react it's not a surprise. If the track led NHRA to believe the problem could be fixed, they have caused a huge problem for hundreds of racers.

I was told it's been touch and go since last week, Amanda. Someone finally pulled the plug yesterday.

I didn't post anything because one day it was one story, the next day it changed. While postponing it is the right thing to do if the track isn't right, I can imagine there are a lot of very disappointed people.

Last edited:
8am Bruton Smiths american flag painted helicoper just flew over the house headed tward the track

Hey Travis...

Elk Creek....whoa man..now your talking ..as in BACK IN THE DAY PRO STOCK MATCH RACIN' SOUTHERN STYLE.. How about the " General Lee Edwards " ( Vega ) vs. Hubert Platt ( Pinto ) plus Harold Denton ...All those guys from that era...This may be before your time..Dyno Don ...Reid Whisnant ..How about the new strip at the Shelor speedway in Dublin? Have you guys been there ?

I feel sorry for all the teams because they will be out on the road for 6 weeks in a row. Please pray that there are no rain outs! I wish the NHRA would really take the time to better route the schedule. There is enough time off at the beginning of the year that they could spread it out and make it a little less greuling.

im going to go down to the track about 2. ill try and post some pics of the surface this afternoon.

travo

Were there already teams that had gone to Bristol?

Our onsite reporter (Travis) could probably let us know. Given four days notice, a lot of racers and fans who scheduled vacations are going to have a tough time resheduling.
And . . . costs that have not been considered. Honeywell paid a premium to make sure Gilby's hero cards were at the track by Wednesday. Team will now have to decide how to get them back to the shop.
A lot of damaged fuel parts are shipped out for refurbishing on Monday after a race and shipped to the next venue. Parts teams need are now piled up at Bristol - who pays for this? - :confused:

Our onsite reporter (Travis) could probably let us know. Given four days notice, a lot of racers and fans who scheduled vacations are going to have a tough time resheduling.
And . . . costs that have not been considered. Honeywell paid a premium to make sure Gilby's hero cards were at the track by Wednesday. Team will now have to decide how to get them back to the shop.
A lot of damaged fuel parts are shipped out for refurbishing on Monday after a race and shipped to the next venue. Parts teams need are now piled up at Bristol - who pays for this? - :confused:

the only trucks that had arrived at the track were two of the nhra trailers parked at the top end and they had been there since last monday. not sure which of there trailers it was.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back