nitro question (2 Viewers)

I'm not sure about Nostalgia Top Fuel Dragsters, but the Funny Cars can run 100%... if their wallets allow. lol

thanx ,, got an offer 2 trade my 69 camaro even,, been thinking just no close
races to bama:)

gk

Wow...tipping the Can? I bet they have the static Compression Wayy low to save parts!

What do those cars run 25-30 Gal. Pumps?

Last edited:
Wow...tipping the Can? I bet they have the static Compression Wayy low to save parts!

What do those cars run 25-30 Gal. Pumps?

Both NTF & NFC are allowed to run 100%, some run up to 98%...the fuel pumps are limited to 21 gal/min for the Funny Cars and 20 gal/min for Nostalgia Top Fuel. Nothing in this world sounds better than a Supercharged V8 on 98% Nitromethane.

Some Nostalgia Nitro Racers will run a higher static compression with a lower Nitro % with great results (in part to keep the engine alive at the finish line). In the Big Show, a lot of the top 1/4 mile MPHs in history were done during 85% era (though there may be other factors for that that I don't know about).

Last edited:
Both NTF & NFC are allowed to run 100%, some run up to 98%...the fuel pumps are limited to 21 gal/min for the Funny Cars and 20 gal/min for Nostalgia Top Fuel. Nothing in this world sounds better than a Supercharged V8 on 98% Nitromethane.

Some Nostalgia Nitro Racers will run a higher static compression with a lower Nitro % with great results (in part to keep the engine alive at the finish line). In the Big Show, a lot of the top 1/4 mile MPHs in history were done during 85% era (though there may be other factors for that that I don't know about).

I bet the cost per run from the 5.70 cars to the 6.0 cars is Huge!

I guess it would depend if there was any engine damage. Some guys claim to run 5.70's with no damage.

philosophy is different from one tuner to the next. here are a few basics that have been the normal understanding as of late.

To go as fast as the nostalgia fuelers go with given the restrictions, especially in the gearing for the AA/FD's and small tire; you need to make the motors RPM. Big numbers will show well in excess of 10 grand through the lights. To get them to spin that fast, a lower percentage in the tank seems the way to go. Fuel can burn only so fast, with a high rpm, the piston can get ahead of the fuel burn. Lower percentage of nitro will burn faster, the given volume of fuel per stroke will burn more completely (equals cylinder pressure/power). More rpm also means more pump speed, equals more volume; that's critical when you are restricted in pump size.

when Brendan used the rat motor, that wasn't a big speed combo, and would make more power down low and in the mid range. since it would operate at a lower rpm range, it seemed to like it around 94-96% in the tank. But it would get grumpy on the big end. Now with the elephant combo, it makes power in a different area, and to run the numbers today, it needs to run at a higher rpm. So with that in mind, while it's still being sorted out, it seems to like it with 84-86% in the tank.

have some run 5.70's and not hurt parts? yup. Boggs/Bartone were pitted by us one weekend, the thing was a bracket car running low 70's, might have dipped in the 60's too, but the thing was running perfect, and they never took the heads off. when you would hear it run, especially when we were at the turn off and he is comming at us, that thing would sound like a TAD; it was screaming.

Paul Smith has a slightly different approach with the combo's used in the Jungle and BrandX cars. Last Oct at Smokerspatch, during elim they didn't take the heads off the BrandX,, I think he told me they used the same plugs too.

so there ya go. hope this helps.

thnx all very good class info, actually hav been approved 2 run the nostalgia specs in a promod in the outlaw class here in bama but it wuld b 1/8 mile,,the nostalgia cars r so cool i wuld rather go c them run instead of the suits just not a close race :D2 bama, gonna try and go to bakersfield in march to watch ronnie and cory's cars run

Last edited:
philosophy is different from one tuner to the next. here are a few basics that have been the normal understanding as of late.

To go as fast as the nostalgia fuelers go with given the restrictions, especially in the gearing for the AA/FD's and small tire; you need to make the motors RPM. Big numbers will show well in excess of 10 grand through the lights. To get them to spin that fast, a lower percentage in the tank seems the way to go. Fuel can burn only so fast, with a high rpm, the piston can get ahead of the fuel burn. Lower percentage of nitro will burn faster, the given volume of fuel per stroke will burn more completely (equals cylinder pressure/power). More rpm also means more pump speed, equals more volume; that's critical when you are restricted in pump size.

when Brendan used the rat motor, that wasn't a big speed combo, and would make more power down low and in the mid range. since it would operate at a lower rpm range, it seemed to like it around 94-96% in the tank. But it would get grumpy on the big end. Now with the elephant combo, it makes power in a different area, and to run the numbers today, it needs to run at a higher rpm. So with that in mind, while it's still being sorted out, it seems to like it with 84-86% in the tank.

have some run 5.70's and not hurt parts? yup. Boggs/Bartone were pitted by us one weekend, the thing was a bracket car running low 70's, might have dipped in the 60's too, but the thing was running perfect, and they never took the heads off. when you would hear it run, especially when we were at the turn off and he is comming at us, that thing would sound like a TAD; it was screaming.

Paul Smith has a slightly different approach with the combo's used in the Jungle and BrandX cars. Last Oct at Smokerspatch, during elim they didn't take the heads off the BrandX,, I think he told me they used the same plugs too.

so there ya go. hope this helps.

Good Stuff Dale...there are three AAFDs that I can distinguish the sound off in the distance when they warm up in the pits: Brendan with the Chevy or Hemi, Bartone, & Jim Murphy. Bartone's sounds like a monster even when they do the alcohol-only warm up. Brendan had the Hemi sounding pretty beastly at the Saturday Night Nitro last July. I love the sound of NTF engine combinations.

I think it was Jason Rupert who told me they run the 100% including the can and label. I may be wrong. Maybe it was Dennis Tayor who told me.

Anyone who doesn't get the can and label comment is likely under 50 years of age.

There will be more nitro cars at the upcoming March Meet (March 7-10) than you will see and hear at the Winternationals... at 1/4 the price for a ticket to Pomona. :D

There will be more nitro cars at the upcoming March Meet (March 7-10) than you will see and hear at the Winternationals... at 1/4 the price for a ticket to Pomona. :D

I think Darr is on to something....I heard NHRA will Broom the current Fuel classes and replace them with the Nostalgia classes in a couple of years!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back