NHRA tears down PS Team....... (2 Viewers)

DixonFan

Staff member
Administrator
During All Access today. Alan was talking about a Prostock Car Team that put up money to have NHRA tear down both Erica and Jegs car. Acussed them cheating. I didn’t catch who it was that accused them. Didn’t know such a thing was possible. Crazy.

Just saw a story on Autoweek. Said Chris McGaha was the one who protested; said Elite had engines bigger than 500 CI. NHRA checked the engines and they were 498.6. So McGaha was out $2000, & $1800 of that went to Elite. Story says that there has been ill feelings between the 2 camps since 2015, so this is the latest in the saga.

During All Access today. Alan was talking about a Prostock Car Team that put up money to have NHRA tear down both Erica and Jegs car. Acussed them cheating. I didn’t catch who it was that accused them. Didn’t know such a thing was possible. Crazy.
I really doubt Alan said someone accused them of cheating. They were both protested, which costs $1,000 per car. If the car(s) protested pass an inspection, they get 90% ($900.00) of the protest fee, so Elite got $1,800.00 for the inconvenience. Protests have been available in the rule books for years. Chris McGaha is who made the protests. Rules violations don't need to be intentional to still be violations. A protest isn't automatically an accusation of cheating. If someone thinks there might be a problem, a protest is the way to deal with it.

Last edited:
Tear downs aren’t new. It’s just if you protest and put up the money and they find nothing than you have to live with the reputation hit afterwards. It’s one of those things where you better be sure they are hiding something.

Tear downs aren’t new. It’s just if you protest and put up the money and they find nothing than you have to live with the reputation hit afterwards. It’s one of those things where you better be sure they are hiding something.
I wouldn't consider it to be a "reputation hit". It costs $1,000 to discourage frivolous protests.

Just saw a story on Autoweek. Said Chris McGaha was the one who protested; said Elite had engines bigger than 500 CI. NHRA checked the engines and they were 498.6. So McGaha was out $2000, & $1800 of that went to Elite. Story says that there has been ill feelings between the 2 camps since 2015, so this is the latest in the saga.
Not sure where Autoweek got the CI angle.

This is what Chris posted on his facebook page about 6 hours ago:

"We already talked to Fox about it, but we thought we’d put something online too to tell everyone our justification to the protest last night that’s blowing up t...he internet. This goes back to 2015 for us. They have not played fair with the fuel off and on since 2015 and that’s one of the reasons why we fuel in the staging lanes now before each run. Not a lot of people know that we foot the bill for the fuel in the lanes so we can keep everyone honest. We’re just trying to keep it fair for everyone.
I know I’m going to take a lot of heat over the protest but it’s racing. I know it’s going to get a lot of coverage at my expense but we just had to know. We’re not the only people that wanted to know and we wanted to know before the Countdown. You gotta understand, I’m just like the New York Yankees. You either cheer for them or you hate them and I think that’s where this is going to put us."

A protest isn't automatically an accusation of cheating. If someone thinks there might be a problem, a protest is the way to deal with it.

Most likely it was in this instance, and the respondent's way of dealing with it was "If you want to handle it like men, then march your ass over here and let's get 'er done." Not saying one was right and the other wrong, just saying that at this point, diplomacy between those two teams has long since left the building.

I looked at it as a badge of honor getting torn down and a stick in their eye kind of moment when they don't find anything. Back in 2010 at Las Vegas we got a visit from a now former tech official right after Q2. Rather than say hi he said "Injector off the blower....blower off the manifold." "Yes sir!" Then we found out one of the world famous crew chiefs who couldn't stick his finger in his nose with both hands didn't like the idea we were outrunning everyone when it was hot outside. So he told this particular tech official that he should go check our supercharger because he "heard a few things."

Then before our first run on Sunday ESPN came in our pit and talked about our weekend. :)

I remember at the World Finals (2011 or 2012) they took the 4 quickest TAFC after the final qualifying session and took their superchargers apart and were checking the inserts. Nothing ever came of it though.

Protests have been around a very long time and if someone feels that their competition just might be cheating they have the right to protest and spend their money to try and prove it.
It's just part of racing and always will be.

When someone goes faster and quicker then you do after years of racing you start to question if everyone is playing by the same rules.

Jim Hill
www.nostalgicracingdecals.com

The funny part is Chris had the Balls to call them out while the other P/S guys want to just Bitch and Complain. ====Note to self === Other P/S guys, put up or just shut up.

Really $1000 bucks?? that is like 2-3 dollars for you and me. Million dollar budgets, trying to get in their heads? tearing down and resembling a perfect engine, as finicky as these engines are maybe it won't run the same after reassembly. You know even though these engines are built from the same parts in the same camp they all run different.
I do not fault him, he thought maybe they were doing something "wrong" and put up using the supplied rules. Elite did pick up an awful lot very quickly.

The funny part is Chris had the Balls to call them out while the other P/S guys want to just Bitch and Complain. ====Note to self === Other P/S guys, put up or just shut up.

Maybe you could fill the rest of us in and tell us who the other pro stock guys are that have no balls and need to put up or shut up?

Chris Mcgaha's class went up as if it could in my book ! However Richard Freeman showed NO class at all. He said on all access as I watched. "Why didn't he come over here and settle it like a man?" So,, no, he did the gentleman way and put up the money the way it was supposed to be done. (I was protested in 1962 at Fremont with my 409. I had to remove the intake and a head. $100.00 was the cost" I was okay in "Hillary Govia's barn" and then the next week it was my gas. Don Smith (Champion Speed Shop. Half Moon Bay drag strip) smelled the gas, looked at it, it was Chevron Custom Supreme and threw it out the window. Case closed. The days of physical altercation are over. They used to happen lots in the old days and Richard Freeman must think that that is the way you settle things!
As it is, or as it SHOULD BE Elite is totally vindicated and Chris Mcgaha should be satisfied and they SHOULD shake hands and say okay, case closed. We proved to all we are legal and Chris will say
that he put his mind clear and race maybe with a little more urge to win against them but either way,, IT'S OVER. This from a long time racer who just sold my last car at 70 years old five years ago.
I didn't even have the hot head at 20 the immature attitude then. Maybe I'm different but that's the way it is. As a side note even super Christian Erica's remarks didn't surprise me. She has always been a twirp and hypocrite as far as I am concerned, although she IS one of the top drivers ever to drive a Pro Stock car. She worked hard to get there but I really, as a Christian myself absolutely hate the
"All the glory to God" crap when people are playing with million dollar toys that only a few ever do and people are starving and all the violence on earth is going on. God Bless you all and these are just
my thoughts and anyone who disagrees has every right and I have no ill feelings toward them. Bob Kirkbride

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back