NHRA: Revised Schedule (1 Viewer)

I am all for it. No team wanted to do 5 or more straight. They have 2 sets of 4 in 9 weeks. The rest is normal with 2 rain dates. There was not a way to make it all up without demanding a nascar type, no break at all schedule. Takes up back to 1996. Series had 19 events. Do I believe that the first 2 races would have been run differently if teams knew what was coming? No. It is going to be interesting to see what happens now with the "best stuff for countdown" parts collection.

These races were canceled.
  • Denso Spark Plugs NHRA Four-Wide Nationals at The Strip at Las Vegas Motor Speedway in Las Vegas
  • NHRA Southern Nationals at Atlanta Dragway in Commerce, Ga.
  • Virginia NHRA Nationals at Virginia Motorsports Park in Dinwiddie, Va.
  • NHRA New England Nationals at New England Dragway in Epping, N.H.
  • NTK NHRA Carolina Nationals at zMax Dragway in Charlotte

Wow! Stuck it up Eppings A$$!
Yeah, as much as I'd like to criticize, they (NHRA) are doing the best they can.

The one interesting thing that I did notice is that only east coast races got nixed. Sure Vegas is in there but only because it's a double. They are still racing in Vegas.

As a Florida resident I'm glad the Gatornats has been rescheduled, though that is going to be a very uncomfortable race for fans haha! I wonder if they would consider running it as a twilight event given the heat and humidity, and the high chance of afternoon storms for that time of year around here? Not complaining, I'm happy!

I think it is also a great move to have several two-day events for the Mello Yello Series - it will be an interesting test case for fan numbers. If tracks get the same number of fans over two days (something I suspect will happen), it will present a good argument for the move on a more permanent basis for some events.

2020 NHRA Revised Schedule Updates

NHRA ANNOUNCES REVISED SCHEDULE FOR MELLO YELLO DRAG RACING SERIES

In consideration of the COVID-19 global pandemic, NHRA officials announced today revisions to the 2020 Mello Yello Drag Racing Series schedule. The series is tentatively planned to resume June 5-7 with the Amalie Motor Oil NHRA Gatornationals at Gainesville Raceway. The season will conclude with the crowning of the Mello Yello Drag Racing Series champions November 13-15 at the Auto Club Finals at Auto Club Raceway in Pomona.

The revised schedule will consist of 19 total events, with 17 of those events being contested when the series resumes in June. Six of these events will be condensed to two-day competition schedules for the Mello Yello Drag Racing Series classes due to economic and logistical factors. As a result of the compressed schedule points will not be reset after the U.S. Nationals at Lucas Oil Raceway. NHRA has held two make-up dates on the calendar in case there are further delays.

Tentative schedule announcements for the Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series, E3 Spark Plugs NHRA Pro Mod Series, Mickey Thompson Tires NHRA Top Fuel Harley Series and Samtech.edu NHRA Factory Stock Showdown Series will be announced soon. All NHRA-sanctioned drag racing series competition is still suspended until further notice.

Amalie Motor Oil NHRA Gatornationals PSC/PSM (Gainesville, Fla.) June 5-7

Mopar Express Lane NHRA SpringNationals PSC/PSM (Houston) June 12-14*

NHRA Thunder Valley Nationals PSC/PSM (Bristol, Tenn.) June 19-21*

Summit Racing Equipment NHRA Nationals PSC/PSM (Norwalk, Ohio) June 26-28*

Route 66 NHRA Nationals (Chicago) July 9-12

Dodge Mile-High NHRA Nationals PSM (Denver) July 17-19

NHRA Sonoma Nationals PSC/PSM (Sonoma, Calif.) July 24-26

NHRA Northwest Nationals PSC/PSM (Seattle) July 31-Aug. 2*

Lucas Oil NHRA Nationals (Brainerd, Minn.) Aug. 13-16

Menards NHRA Heartland Nationals PSC (Topeka, Kan.) Aug. 21-23*

NHRA U.S. Nationals PSC/PSM (Indianapolis) Sept. 3-7

Mopar Express Lane NHRA Nationals PSC/PSM (Reading, Pa.) Sept. 11-13*

NGK Spark Plugs NHRA Four-Wide Nationals PSC/PSM (Charlotte) Sept. 18-20

Make Up Date If Needed (Gainesville, Fla.) Sept. 25-27

AAA Insurance NHRA Midwest Nationals PSC/PSM (St. Louis) Oct. 2-4

Make Up Date If Needed (Houston) Oct. 9-11

AAA Texas NHRA FallNationals PSC/PSM (Dallas) Oct. 15-18

Dodge NHRA Nationals PSC/PSM (Las Vegas) Oct. 29-Nov. 1

Auto Club NHRA Finals PSC/PSM (Pomona, Calif.) Nov. 12-15

*Mello Yello Drag Racing Series on Saturday and Sunday only

PSC = Pro Stock will be contested at this event

PSM = Pro Stock Motorcycle will be contested at this event

I’m surprised to see no countdown even with the races lost. Well guys, it’s going to get real interesting with no points reset.

Last edited:
My prediction is the Gators won't draw flies in June. If you think Bowling Green is hor & humid for the NHRR you ain't seen nothin' yet. :( The September rain date isn't any better.

What a logistical nightmare. Kudos to the NHRA for trying to revamp the schedule and save the season. No Countdown, WOO-HOO! I predicted that they wouldn't race until late May. We can only hope the new cases start leveling off in the next few weeks and shrink after that. Jonesing for some live racing!

I definitely don't envy schedule-makers right now. At this point, I'm just hoping that I can make most of what I originally planned for the season and don't lose too much from everything having to be bunched together. I wasn't planning on both Topeka and Brainerd for nationals anyway, but them being back-to-back makes it next to impossible now. That's assuming we get even a partial season, of course. This whole thing being fluid makes planning ahead next to impossible.

I'll take a shot at Gainesville with the heat but not Topeka. Not interested in a two day event-flying from California is too inconvenient for two days of Pro racing. I'll roll my credit over to next year and hope they have Pro Stock again. No Pro Stock next year and I'm done with Topeka. Seems a bit iffy that the country will be back to normal by June 5 but we'll see. Glad NHRA got notice out to us early enough that we can make plans.

hats off to nhra for figuring this out; as was said already, it couldn't have been easy.
two day mello yello competition will be interesting. even without the virus, it is still a good test.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back