NHRA Pro Stock at 18 races in 2019 (1 Viewer)

I didn’t like the idea from the beginning but what they said makes since and I’m starting to like their ideas for the future.

So does this mean at these 6 events ticket prices will be discounted,since we arent getting a full show like the other events??

So does this mean at these 6 events ticket prices will be discounted,since we arent getting a full show like the other events??

This is obviously the only thing on your mind since you bring it up so much. You know damn well the answer is no, so just don't go to any of the races where pro-stock is not competing! That or take a Mello Yello can with you!

I think ticket pricing at the events missing Pro Stock is a legitimate concern. Hopefully the NHRA understands this and adds another eliminator like Mountain Motor Pro Stock.

This is obviously the only thing on your mind since you bring it up so much. You know damn well the answer is no, so just don't go to any of the races where pro-stock is not competing! That or take a Mello Yello can with you!

Absolutely. The ONLY way you could quantify a demand for a decreased ticket price at a national event is if the fuel cars weren't there.

Sean D

God just let pro stock go, its over, I havent enjoyed it since around 2000 and after WJ got out I have no more interest in it at all. And if they alternated Pro Mod and Factory Stock that would be perfect for me, as well as overlapping some of them, say Pro Mod 16 races and Factory Stock 16 races.

Hey, I like the loud cars as much as anybody but, when you have an entire 16 car field that regularly qualifies within a few 'hun of one another, you have the most competitive class is all of motorsport.
I hate to see Pro-Stock go but, moving to a limited schedule will kill the professional level teams.

Hey, I like the loud cars as much as anybody but, when you have an entire 16 car field that regularly qualifies within a few 'hun of one another, you have the most competitive class is all of motorsport.
I hate to see Pro-Stock go but, moving to a limited schedule will kill the professional level teams.
A few of the pro stock teams like ones that have other businesses like the idea and more teams will go full time with less races

If you read the article, you'd see that NHRA is looking at filler options for these events, Perhaps Mountain Motor PS... Best to read the article first before commenting and opening yourself up to criticism.

If you read the article, you'd see that NHRA is looking at filler options for these events, Perhaps Mountain Motor PS... Best to read the article first before commenting and opening yourself up to criticism.
Yea more super gas cars dont count lol

well with talking to some off the teams last year, the travel, food and lodging is a huge part of their budget.
lowering those costs might get some more teams out, also some racers have a "real" job and getting away that many weeks a year is an issue.
PS 18 weeks, some FSS in their slot other weeks, might just see people stay in the stands to watch the same car as they own race.
Hey is that not where PS started? I can dream right ?
MMPS some weeks....................

Look at the stands when Pro Stock is running. There's your answer.

also some racers have a "real" job and getting away that many weeks a year is an issue.

I'm not discounting what you're saying but the whole premise of a "Pro" class is that they are professionals, not part time (i.e. sportsman) racers.

With the number of available cars in the pro stock classes, versus which cars show up, I wouldn't be opposed to NHRA allowing some sort of divisional format to give some of these teams an opportunity to earn points near their home. I know it goes against the grain of the pro classes, but the class is dying and I don't know what the proper answer is.

the class is dying and I don't know what the proper answer is.

The class has gotten completely away from its original intentions; which was to showcase muscle cars that were available from the various manufacturers.
When NHRA allowed Grumpy Jenkins to run a tube chassis in his '72 Vega, that opened the floodgates for creative interpretations of the rulebook. Now, the cars have shocks that cost more than some houses. Plus, none of the cars (Camaros) look like anything available in showrooms.
As has been mentioned elsewhere in this thread, look at how the stands empty out when the PS cars pull into the lanes. Large-scale fan interest is just not there anymore.
Reducing the number of races is akin to pulling a stuck Band-Aid off really, really slowly. It hurts the entire time. Just quickly tear the thing off and be done with it.
Besides, it's not like Ford and Mopar racers will be hurt by the class' demise.

I think a sixteen car FS field might make an interesting experiment when the PS cars have been excluded from the event. Wondering if KB Racing and that bunch from oklahoma might show up with a FS car or two. Congrats to Leah winning the FS deal this year, proving she can drive the wheels off anything she sits in.

there is an underlying problem here that no one wants to talk about. a long time ago, the time between pro rounds was approaching 1.5-2 hours. we could watch PS and maybe even PSM, and still have plenty of time to hit the pits for a dose of nitro. these days, the first pair of FC's in a Q round are serviced and firing in the pits by the time the last pair TF'rs make their Q pass. nhra mello yello drag racing is advertised as 300mph on nitro, and up close autographs with drivers in the pits, and that's essentially what is provided for the fan. just enough time to watch the nitro cars on the track, walk back to the pits and watch them wrench, refire, and get back in bleachers cuz here they come again.......PS and PSM are the red headed step children of this new and quicker format; which what??? was supposed to improve the TV package? live rounds on TV?.......i can see where that has gotten nhra. one word. flat.......if i was chevy, ford, dodge, or even toyota, and nhra wanted to sell their PS program to me (i.e. factory involvment). the first thing i'd request is that there is sufficient time for the fans to actually watch PS........and unfortunately, i think even if FS continues to grow, the underlying theme for nhra on friday, saturday, and sunday is nitro, nitro, nitro. that is what they are selling. that is what the fans are buying. i (nhra) want my fans to watch the nitro cars, then go spend their money, then come back and watch more nitro, then go spend more money........nobody is making any addition money if the fan sits in the bleacher all day because they MUST watch these talented drivers, with stellar reaction times, race down the strip in matching camaros.......nope. boring. the rest is filler. the fans need corn dogs, ice cream, beer, t-shirts, nitro in their face, and autographs.

The class has gotten completely away from its original intentions; which was to showcase muscle cars that were available from the various manufacturers.
When NHRA allowed Grumpy Jenkins to run a tube chassis in his '72 Vega, that opened the floodgates for creative interpretations of the rulebook. Now, the cars have shocks that cost more than some houses. Plus, none of the cars (Camaros) look like anything available in showrooms.
As has been mentioned elsewhere in this thread, look at how the stands empty out when the PS cars pull into the lanes. Large-scale fan interest is just not there anymore.
Reducing the number of races is akin to pulling a stuck Band-Aid off really, really slowly. It hurts the entire time. Just quickly tear the thing off and be done with it.
Besides, it's not like Ford and Mopar racers will be hurt by the class' demise.

At the '70 Gators, the stands started to empty after the Pro Stock final. :)

I think a sixteen car FS field might make an interesting experiment when the PS cars have been excluded from the event. Wondering if KB Racing and that bunch from oklahoma might show up with a FS car or two. Congrats to Leah winning the FS deal this year, proving she can drive the wheels off anything she sits in.

Being Schumaker (Leah) is there I would say they are all going to be there shortly

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back