Pro stock 16 race schedule in 2019 (1 Viewer)

Well......... I feel like there are too many national events anyway. Just hope they don’t cut tv coverage even more at the events they have left. The few teams that do make money due to sponsorship will undoubtedly lose some.

Was talking to one of the drivers before Q1 today and he mentioned NHRA had floated this as a possible change. It's funny, Lewis Bloom gave a talk at the NHRA tent between rounds and when asked about Pro Stock he predicted no changes for 2019. Not sure if he was keeping quiet or what but it made no sense to me. With the problems filling fields this year, then losing Tanner, Drew and Bo, something needed to be done.

Going to a 16 race schedule could get some people to come back in who were going to drop out thinking racing for a championship in 16 races might be better than a 24 race grind. Downside is that reducing races by 1/3 doesn't reduce expense by 1/3. Travel and race day expenses would be reduced but payroll and shop operation cost would not. So if sponsors would want a 1/3 reduction in sponsorship cost, that would be problematic for teams that require sponsors to operate. I know you could argue everyone needs sponsors but some teams have a deep internal pocketbook (Gray, Jeg) unlike others.

From the Competition Plus article:
"A source close to the situation has suggested NHRA is mulling a scenario similar to Pro Stock Motorcycle and the Mickey Thompson Top Fuel Harley-Davidson dynamic where the 500-inch cars could race 16 events while the recently exhibited Mountain Motor Pro Stock cars could run six to eight events."

I really like this idea. I've enjoyed this class since the first time I saw them run in the IHRA. I liked seeing them run at Indy this year. But since all of the Mountain Motor Pro Stock cars currently run in the PDRA, which seems to be having issues (but not in Xtreme Pro Stock, whose car counts are usually near 16), I think 6 races would be the max (unless the teams commit to the NHRA). Most of the teams are on the East Coast (6 teams in NC), but only 4 teams west of the Mississippi, so scheduling would have to be for the most part, the Southeast and the East. Potential races could be Gainesville, Atlanta, VMP, Bristol and Maple Grove? Who knows? I think that they would have trouble fielding a 16 car field, I would welcome the opportunity to see them race at NHRA events. Just my opinion.

Well......... I feel like there are too many national events anyway. Just hope they don’t cut tv coverage even more at the events they have left. The few teams that do make money due to sponsorship will undoubtedly lose some.

I hit the wrong button. I do agree. :(

look at pro mod 12 race schedule FSS 7 race schedule and they dont show much of it on tv unfornanatly I think pro stock is being put to bed.

Times change, classes change. When I first went to the drags in 1961, all the classes were different than today. About the only classes that still exist from that time would be Top Fuel and Stock Elim. Maybe a few classes in Comp, like some of the dragsters and altereds. Oh yeah, all 1/4 mile.

It's not that manufacturers aren't interested in drag racing or the NHRA - they just aren't interested in Pro Stock. From a "pro spectator" perspective, the class seemed to become more and more unattainable and the racing became more and more dry. You can talk about the closeness of the racing and holeshot wins and so on, but Top Fuel has just as much of that these days.
I've seen a lot of blame heaped on NHRA, but how do you make a product like Pro Stock interesting for TV? Every run looks near identical, the cars look identical and with a few exceptions of young talent the drivers give interviews where they don't seem to be that excited about the whole deal, even when they win. If they're not excited, how can we expect spectators to be?
I think Pro Stock had the chance to be in a new golden era, had more dramatic changes been made earlier. It's easy to say with hindsight of course. You could blame NHRA for not making changes, but I'm sure the teams would have lobbied hard against them because of the investment in equipment they had.
Look to the Factory Stock Showdown. It has the backing of manufacturers, wheelstands and interesting looking cars. Pro Stock could have been brave and moved to something like this, perhaps sorting out an engine combination that would allow them to run deep into the sevens. Put them on radial tyres, make them drive back from the top end and through the pits. Even make them required to be street registered! There are huge followings out there for serious street cars and a corporate version of that might have had potential. Anyways, enough of my rant!

If this does indeed happen, which eight races will Pro Stock be removed from the schedule? Obviously they won't take any from the final six races for the "Countdown to the Championship", so the NHRA will be only running Pro Stock in ten of the first eighteen events needed to qualify for the final six to determine a champion. Pick your eight races to remove from the calendar.

Pomona
Phoenix
Gainesville
Las Vegas
Houston
Charlotte
Atlanta
Richmond
Chicago
Topeka
Bristol
Norwalk
Epping
Denver
Sonoma
Seattle
Brainerd
Indianapolis

Since Pomona, Las Vegas and Charlotte are already represented in the countdown, I think these three should automatically be considered for removal. After that, geography should be the next consideration. If there are tracks within a few hundred miles of each other, then they should be out, therefore since Bristol, Atlanta and Richmond are all within 300 miles of Charlotte .... out they go. I could also argue that both Chicago and Norwalk are both less than 250 miles from Indy, but seeing that Jeg's and Summit are both title sponsors at each event, I don't see that that happening. Maybe Denver should be scratched because the elevation requires a unique tune up that really serves no benefit elsewhere. Phoenix would be my last race to choose for removal only because I think that Epping and Seattle need to be kept because the fans are so far removed from the rest of the circuit, plus it gives the teams an opportunity to race at least once in each of the seven divisions.

I'd love to see other opinions on how to accomplish the task at hand.

I say both 4 wides for sure. Not many of the drivers seem to enjoy it. All your points make sense. I would say cutting the far north and west events would make sense due to location with a majority of teams being from the south.

I say both 4 wides for sure. Not many of the drivers seem to enjoy it. All your points make sense. I would say cutting the far north and west events would make sense due to location with a majority of teams being from the south.
A few of them are based near Charlotte and live on Lake Norman, so I don't know if they would want to cut their home race.

I wonder what parts of the country have the highest Pro Stock fan base? Am thinking the South and the East, Mid-west. Maybe Calif, but you really don't see that many big door car type races in the West. BTW, I agree with Luke that it might have been a good idea to run Factory Stock as Pro Stock, just cuz more people would identify with the cars. They look just like a car you can buy. I well remember 1970 at Pomona, first NHRA Pro Stock race. People were excited about the class. When Jenkins ran 9.99 the crowd went nuts. It was like seeing a car you could drive on the street that cold run 9.90's and that was crazy quick for 1970. The cars then were similiar to Factory Stock today, ie: no wheel tubs, mostly steel bodies, etc. I think the original class started getting "out of control" when they started running tube frame chassis and it went from there to what we have today. Just for yuks & grins, if Factory Stock would become Pro Stock, then it might be wise to keep the class like it is now. One last thing, how many fans identify with American cars? Have long thought that Pro Stock should include Toyota, Honda, etc with turbo V-6 engines. Would be just as quick as todays Pro Stock, but wouldn't have the V-8 sound. Oh well, just my 2 cents.

Now all we need is Larry Morgan to show up with a PS car with a giant fork sticking out of the deck lid. LOL

Hope they are at bristol or im not going ( And for the races they arent at is nhra going to reduce ticket prices,less of a show should be less money right???

A few of them are based near Charlotte and live on Lake Norman, so I don't know if they would want to cut their home race.
Yea I get that but my thinking was there are two events there every season so maybe one needs cut not to mention 4 wides do not seem to work well for cars that leave the line as they do. If they want to represent pro stock at a 4 wide Charlotte is probably the one to keep.

With that kind of insight, I would have expected you to be who won the $1.6B lottery the other day. lol

But I did! And I bought Englistown too! As soon as construction is finished on the 8 wide track I'll get you some free passes ~:)~

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back