NHRA President Glen Cromwell Announces Lawsuit Against The Coca-Cola Company (1 Viewer)

How in the heck can NHRA survive without a title sponsor? With that money gone, racing will become even more of “pay to play.”
This late in an already unforgettable year, with an economy teetering on serious recession, if not depression, which company is going to step up at Coca-Cola’s level by next season?
Personally, I don’t see that happening.

Bad deal all around... NHRA may sue, but Coca Cola is definitely better funded. The only winners here will be the lawyers. And any potential sponsors may be rethinking doing business with NHRA, COVID or no COVID problems...

with the abbreviated year I would guess NHRA could not provide Coke with the TV air time, spectator count to meet NHRA's obligation giving Coke an out of the contract.
Contracts work both ways.
The sponsorship contract had clauses that provided for a refund for Coca-Cola in the event of there being reduced events.

For those interested, the sponsorship was worth $5.7 million a year, with Coca-Cola to provide an additional $2,000,000 a year in activation.

A link to the lawsuit was posted on Facebook (sorry for the terrible URL): https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...1XJtKMk5EBNN7fJ-s4pzhPJB78lG1pN_DKc5oVXVPsRYc

Coke CEO was just on tv, looks like they are thinning their brands, betting Mello Yello is one that bites the dust

I worked in the beverage business for years and the most dishonest and backstabbing people to deal with were Coca-Cola sales and management. The more despicable you were the higher you were promoted. That was on a regional level. I can only imagine how they operate on a corporate level. Seems it was unfair to criticize the NHRA for lowering the purses when we didn’t have all the facts.
I wonder if anyone can tell the difference between Captain Morgan and Pepsi over Capt.&coke I know for sure we will find out -we support those that support us -bye bye COKE products-no more in my coolers

5.7M IMO only covers about 1/3 of all purse money paid out over 24 races. the silver lining here is nhra is not losing 100% of it's purse money under normal operating conditions.
i would be very surprised to see another national event this year, unless individual companies band together to financially make it happen. i can't imagine, during litigation, that there will be
any money paid to nhra from coca-cola ....... coca cola entering the hard seltzer market in 2021, their first foray into alcoholic beverages since 1980.

If anything, I would think this might be further impetus to run whatever events they have to to meet contractual minimums no matter what, even if hardly anyone shows up. Harder to win a lawsuit against someone not meeting their contractual obligations if you don't meet your own, even if they did it (or tried to do it) first.
The two Texas races will have 50% capacity.

Coke CEO was just on tv, looks like they are thinning their brands, betting Mello Yello is one that bites the dust
That's what I've been thinking since this blog started, Mello Yellow is probably not giving a return on investment and since NHRA is a big pusher of it they are cutting their losses and using Covid as a front. I'm sorry but I think Mello Yellow is terrible, they give them to you after the races, can't drink it. Tried it straight, with tequila, with vodka and bourbon, didn't help. It's not in any stores down here. Rick

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back