NHRA Impounds AJPE Superchargers (1 Viewer)

Nhra tech bulletin

NHRA TECH BULLETIN

GLENDORA, Calif. (Feb. 18, 2010) –
NHRA’s technical department made two announcements today effective at this weekend’s NHRA Arizona Nationals in Phoenix, Ariz.

ELECTRIMOTION SHUTOFF RECEIVER

NHRA has temporarily suspended mandatory use of the Electrimotion Shutoff Receiver while NHRA works with the manufacturer to meet driver requests.

Top Fuel and Funny Car teams, after the just concluded Pomona event, raised certain concerns about the automatic shutoff process, including potential wear on certain engine components, and a desire among some drivers to keep their traditional routine in place at the end of the track and manually shut down the car when they were fully capable of doing so.

As a result, NHRA and Electrimotion are currently working to develop an override to the Shutoff Receiver when both parachute handles have been enabled. When both chutes have been pulled, the driver will be able to shut down according to his or her normal procedures rather than having the automatic device shut off the vehicle. The override kit is expected to be available prior to the Gainesville, Fla. event which begins March 11.

The automatic shutoff procedure was implemented as a safety measure to stop a vehicle in the event of driver inability to do so. NHRA still encourages the use of the automatic shutoff even during this time period when its use is not mandatory. Therefore, NHRA will install Electrimotion Shutoff Transmitters to accommodate those teams wishing to continue to use the shutoff receivers.

The Electrimotion Safety Shutoff Controllers on Top Fuel and Funny Car vehicles, activated in the case of burst panel rupture, fire bottle activation or activation by the driver, will remain mandatory.

ALAN JOHNSON PERFORMANCE ENGINEERING (AJPE) SUPERCHARGERS

The NHRA Technical Department impounded superchargers on Top Fuel and Funny Car vehicles at the NHRA Winternationals last weekend at Auto Club Raceway at Pomona. This week in Phoenix, NHRA inspected each impounded supercharger with a representative from the applicable team. It was determined that certain AJPE Superchargers do not meet certain NHRA specifications. In addition, the NHRA Rulebook states that all engine component development, including superchargers, must be submitted to the NHRA Technical Department for review.

The subject AJPE Superchargers were not submitted to NHRA Technical Department for review. Therefore, AJPE Superchargers that do not meet the current specification cannot be used in competition. This information has been conveyed to all affected teams and to the manufacturer, and NHRA is informed that they are working to resolve the issue.

-30-

It would appear that someone within NHRA didn't like all of the scrap aluminum he received after the race due to the shutoff switch.:rolleyes:

how many teams use these parts?

Good question, walk through the staging lanes and see who has a billet supercharger case. That may be the first step in answering your question.

I'd like to know how NHRA plans on policing new parts brought into nitro racing, when certain teams are producing more and more parts in house.

Could this have any impact on the results of the Winternationals and the points earned by any team using the JAPE blowers?

Could this have any impact on the results of the Winternationals and the points earned by any team using the JAPE blowers?

Common sense should tell us that cars/teams using illegal parts should be required to forfeit points earned at events where these parts were used.

When this has happened in previous years the teams were not reprimanded other than to be told to take the parts off the car.

Common sense should tell us that cars/teams using illegal parts should be required to forfeit points earned at events where these parts were used.

When this has happened in previous years the teams were not reprimanded other than to be told to take the parts off the car.

If they passed tech at Pomona then I dont see how they could take points from them. Like Virgil said, I think they will just tell them to take them off.

If they passed tech at Pomona then I dont see how they could take points from them. Like Virgil said, I think they will just tell them to take them off.

Are you saying that if my car passes tech at the beginning of the event I can run any illegal item for the event and be OK?

Examples: My car passes tech but after the race it was found to have -

Too many cubic inches?

Illegal cylinder heads?

Block with the cam location moved up?

Traction control device?

Illegal gear ratio?

Delay in line activating rev limiter?

Illegal electrical monitoring/control system?

Car is too light but driver/crew add ballast at end of run before scales?

Rear wheels too wide or narrow?

Excessive wheel base?

Nitrous?

I am not saying that these items have been found by NHRA, but they have been ........................

Are you saying that if my car passes tech at the beginning of the event I can run any illegal item for the event and be OK?

Too many cubic inches?

Illegal cylinder heads?

Traction control device?

Illegal gear ratio?

Excessive wheel base?

Nitrous?

I am not saying that these items have been found by NHRA, but they have been ........................

Virgil, are you saying some(?) teams have got caught doing those very things?

Too many cubic inches?

Illegal cylinder heads?

Traction control device?

Illegal gear ratio?

Excessive wheel base?

Nitrous?

If your car is found to have any of those after the race, as in the same day right after you win the final round, then yes you should be disqualified.

However, if you win Pomona and pass inspection after the race and then show up in Arizona and they say that is illegal then they shouldnt be able to say anything about Pomona. Thats my opinion.

Re: Nhra tech bulletin

[

ALAN JOHNSON PERFORMANCE ENGINEERING (AJPE) SUPERCHARGERS[/B]

The NHRA Technical Department impounded superchargers on Top Fuel and Funny Car vehicles at the NHRA Winternationals last weekend at Auto Club Raceway at Pomona. This week in Phoenix, NHRA inspected each impounded supercharger with a representative from the applicable team. It was determined that certain AJPE Superchargers do not meet certain NHRA specifications. In addition, the NHRA Rulebook states that all engine component development, including superchargers, must be submitted to the NHRA Technical Department for review.

The subject AJPE Superchargers were not submitted to NHRA Technical Department for review. Therefore, AJPE Superchargers that do not meet the current specification cannot be used in competition. This information has been conveyed to all affected teams and to the manufacturer, and NHRA is informed that they are working to resolve the issue.

-30-

[/I][/QUOTE]

By the above quoted bulletin, I read that the superchargers were impounded at the Winternationals where they had been used during the event.

Now if teams are using parts that were not sent to be properly verified by NHRA and they were found to be outside the rules, and were impounded at the event they were used at, wouldn't that be considered being caught "red-handed" of running an illegal car? And the penalty should be? And if these parts were bought from a manufacturer, that manufacturer should be liable for whatever losses occur from the use of the aforementioned illegal part(s).

Would the penalties be different if the teams using parts found to be outside the rules were lesser funded teams?

Rut row, in the update Graham wouldn't comment about penalties. Outside of Alan's two cars, who else uses these superchargers?

Who was it in Pro Stock a while back that got dinged because their wrist pins were too light, even though the piston/wrist pin combo was over the minimum weight? Wouldn't this be a similar situation?

The rules are the rules. If they were running superchargers that were illegal for competition then they should be punished.

Who was it in Pro Stock a while back that got dinged because their wrist pins were too light, even though the piston/wrist pin combo was over the minimum weight? Wouldn't this be a similar situation?

The rules are the rules. If they were running superchargers that were illegal for competition then they should be punished.

Brent, for some reason I wanna say that was Mike Edwards 3 or 4 years or so ago back when he wasnt but just barely qualifying.

Last edited:
Good thing the NHRA doesn't police things like the Almighty rulers at NASCAR, they would have been fined 250,000 grand had thier points stripped, thier cars impounded, crew chief suspended indefinatily and been subject to a strip search at every event for the whole year, They did all that while putting the car through tech BEFORE even trying to qualify, God help those they catch after the race has finished:eek:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back