Saw some photos of an AJR testing session (1 Viewer)

flapjack

Staff member
Nitro Member
AJR posted some photos of testing on Facebook. The dragster was adorned with an AJPE wrap, so I am guessing it is funded solely out of Alan's pocket right now. Which doesn't surprise me. Nitro flows in that man's veins.

I'd be willing to bet that there's still a fair amount of $$$ left over in the Al-Anabi escrow account...that now belongs to Alan.

They are testing here in Vegas and I haven't been able to sneak away from work to go sneak a peek. :(

AJPE is a very successful company in it's own right, and I am sure he can write some of that signage on the car off come tax time. Alan is a smart guy, and I expect them to make the full pull, whether they pick up a marketing partner or not.

AJPE is a very successful company in it's own right, and I am sure he can write some of that signage on the car off come tax time. Alan is a smart guy,

He is a smart guy, and that's why he won't be "writing off the expense come tax time". That doesn't make you any money...might allow you (Alan) to come closer to breaking even, maybe. I can't imagine he'd plow through the left over dough (3 years worth) just to run that race car. This is a business as has been stated many times, and if it doesn't make financial $en$e over a long term, then it can collect dust.

I don't think anyone really knows the financials, except AJ himself. But if the money to run 2 teams for the next 3 years is really in escrow, why wouldn't it be business as usual? That represents a lot of money. What am I missing? Either the budget is there or it isn't.

Because smart people like to keep their money. The days of spending your own $ to run one or more of these cars is long gone for the most part, with the possible exceptions of newcomer John Hale and Jim Head.

Alan will likely keep the car out there for awhile with hopes of securing a $ponsor. Barring that, I just can't see him burning through his own money with no further obligation to his previous supporter. Time will tell...

He is a smart guy, and that's why he won't be "writing off the expense come tax time". That doesn't make you any money...might allow you (Alan) to come closer to breaking even, maybe. I can't imagine he'd plow through the left over dough (3 years worth) just to run that race car. This is a business as has been stated many times, and if it doesn't make financial $en$e over a long term, then it can collect dust.

Writing off expenses on your taxes is not about making money or breaking even on the running of the car, it is about reducing your tax liability at the end of the year (which lets you keep more of your money). There is NOTHING about running a fuel car that makes any sense in the current financial climate of NHRA. People do it because they love it. The really smart/clever/good people get someone else to pay for it, or they create a small industry around the race team to fund the dream. If any of them were worried about keeping their money, they would never, ever run a fuel car.

But on the other hand AJPE needs to be at the track and on the track to continue performing as a top company (more a long term view than a short term view). One car makes sense, hopefully he can land another good sponsor soon.

Bill I get the whole racing on your own dime argument. Pretty simple. If you can afford to, you choose whether to or not. What I'm asking is if 3 year's worth of funding, for 2 cars, ($15Mil?) is really paid up front. If so, how did Al Anabi "pull their funding"?

Post #5. 2015 funding was already in the bank prior to their exit. What is not clear about that statement?

It must be true because I read it on the internet (AJ and his leftover $$).

A long time ago AJ and family were running on their own dime long before sponsor money came along. They ran well and attracted sponsors. If he has leftover money, or won the lotto, or whatever, racing is all he does. Sitting at home sucks.

Last edited:
Does anyone know which crew members are still there? I know Ronnie Thompson and Joe Barlow are gone.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back