NHRA Cans ESPN3's Live Coverage For Friday (1 Viewer)

In that the article alludes to it being Glendora who made this call, I'd suspect it comes down to ESPN looking for more money. I do think the online model for Friday and Saturday is the way to go to appease the hardcore fan. However, I still believe that the television package, with a separate qualifying show, is too ambitious and is one of the biggest drawbacks of NHRA's trying to keep up with the NASCAR model. I think for the casual fan that it is so desired to try and draw in, when they find out that what they're watching aren't actual races, they probably just turn the channel. For so many who complain about all the repetitive features between both shows, they could incorporate more thorough qualifying highlights before the first round of each class. This could also help quell the negativity of the hardcore fanbase in regards to the qualifying shows schedule being screwed with all the time.
For those that remember waiting anxiously to watch the races on Wide World of Sports or during the Diamond P era, this would still be light years better than those days.

Then can the actual TV show and keep the ESPN3. I would put my money on the guess that the Friday ratings beat almost every if not every actual qualifying show on the tube.

I'm still fuming. I hate to (and I don't often) bash the NHRA but, am I the only one who failed to see the announcement on the official NHRA.com website.
Perhaps the weasels are waiting 'til folks tune-in Friday night -then - they'll announce all the great new ways they've "re-deployed assets".
CRAP - This seals the deal with potential sponsors who may be looking for a growing marketing venue.

X3....I would take the espn3 Friday night over the Saturday qualifying show for sure. Tv is a dead medium, why pull out of the medium that all major networks (internet based) are moving to....seems silly.

A reply from ESPN

Hello,

Thanks for contacting us.

ESPN3 will be airing NHRA Eliminations coverage it has in previous years but
will not be airing Friday night qualifying coverage. The NHRA and ESPN evaluate
coverage of the NHRA Mello Yello Drag Series each year and, for 2015, we have
decided to allocate our resources elsewhere as we work to provide the
highest-quality show possible.

Regards,

A reply from ESPN

Hello,

Regards,

Sounds like a very nice way of saying.... Viewership Sucked
Audiocast Friday and Saturday... see what's up Sunday...

Didn't they do this to us a couple of years ago, then brought it back a couple of races in?

I too liked the Friday night show the best. The atmosphere was laid back, even jovial. At least they kept the Sunday live show. As I told ESPN, the live telecast on ESPN3 or whatever they call it now is the only reason I still have a cable provider.........

BINGO!
I just re-upped with Comcast. A LARGE factor in my choice was the ESPN3 deal (and Drag Racing is the ONLY thing I watched on-line).

As I told ESPN, the live telecast on ESPN3 or whatever they call it now is the only reason I still have a cable provider.........

Brilliant decision there NHRA, in the information age regress backwards...........I swear this organization is run by minions.

I am another cable subscriber (time-warner) only for ESPN3. I will keep it as long as they continue Sundays, but am really disappointed by Fridays disappearing. I guess I'll just listen to the audio cast all 4 sessions. I hope they can do a better job of keeping it on the air all the time.

A reply from ESPN

Hello,

Regards,
I got the same email earlier today. Oh well live on Sunday is better than nothing at all.

I'm still fuming. I hate to (and I don't often) bash the NHRA but, am I the only one who failed to see the announcement on the official NHRA.com website.
Perhaps the weasels are waiting 'til folks tune-in Friday night -then - they'll announce all the great new ways they've "re-deployed assets".
CRAP - This seals the deal with potential sponsors who may be looking for a growing marketing venue.
You have to be kidding me. You believe the elimination of a live internet feed will chase away potential sponsors?

Last edited:
Brilliant decision there NHRA, in the information age regress backwards...........I swear this organization is run by minions.
Maybe they have data that shows lousy viewership. Other than the diehard fan who is also a member here, does anyone believe there is a percentage of people sitting in front of their computer/device to watch this broadcast? It has to be very small. People work and have other obligations.

As someone said earlier, businesses do things to make money. They don't do things because a fractionally small group of a fan base (Mater) feels they are entitled to something.

I hate that Friday will be gone, as with many it was my favorite broadcast of a 3 day race more often than not. Sunday will still get watched many times.

With respect to the audiocast, their "pay to play" App audio seems to be MUCH more consistent .... I purchase it almost every week ($1 I think). Just don't make the stupid option of purchasing the whole season during the 10'th race! I listen to most of em, but just purchase the current one .... buying em all this week saves you next to nothing.

Maybe they have data that shows lousy viewership. Other than the diehard fan who is also a member here, does anyone believe there is a percentage of people sitting in front of their computer/device to watch this broadcast? It has to be very small. People work and have other obligations.

As someone said earlier, businesses do things to make money. They don't do things because a fractionally small group of a fan base (Mater) feels they are entitled to something.

NHRA pays ESPN to broadcast all the national events to begin with, so they're already losing money before the season even starts. The only way for NHRA to recoup that lost revenue is to jack up the prices on food, tickets, and concessions. You'll notice they didn't pull Sunday's live eliminations, just the Friday night qualifying show. Did the Friday night show bring in new fans? Maybe, maybe not, we'll never know. But from what has been posted here in the past it seemed like a large majority of people enjoyed the show. What was being said elsewhere I don't know. The Friday night show lasted for over 3+ years. So there had to be numbers supporting that people were indeed watching. I can't imagine the Friday night show was costing NHRA an arm and a leg. Especially considering the Sunday show is about 7 hrs long. I'd bet more people watched the Friday night show than the often delayed until some ungodly hour Saturday show. I'm sure they have numbers, but like anything else they won't make them public. So everyone that isn't in the know is left to take NHRA at it's word, whatever that's worth. Also, pay attention to how people are watching TV and Movies via online programming. Will it stand the test of time? I don't know. But many have faith in it, including ESPN, who created an online channel to support this new and growing segment.

Here's an ESPN article from 3 years ago regarding the Friday night show.
http://www.espnfrontrow.com/2012/03...ts-for-friday-nhra-qualifying-shows-on-espn3/

A different voice and thought. I would not sit in front of a computer screen and watch all ESPN3 anytime. I tried to watch it a couple of times and became bored and quit. As a matter of fact I record all broadcasts and probably watch a total of 30 minutes on sunday and about the same for eliminations. But then I've never been a very good spectator.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back