NHRA adds injected nitro to alky funny car class for 2023 (1 Viewer)

I see NHRA slowly struggling out of their arch conservatism. NASCAR has been wildly successful with all their new cars and venues. NHRA would be guilty of malpractice if they choose to stay with their old ways.

A/FC is a step in the right direction. Hopefully it will have a more enthusiastic reception than A/FX.

Oh, how I wish Gene Adams & Don Enriquez would run an A/FC...... Pat Austin & son Drew ran a great A/FD in Nostalgia. They just happen to have a nostalgia AA/FC right now. So maybe put a new body on it and back to the injected combo and.......

Pat Austin & son Drew ran a great A/FD in Nostalgia. They just happen to have a nostalgia AA/FC right now. So maybe put a new body on it and back to the injected combo and.......

The WAR Boss Ford is not NHRA Top Alky approved, still. It was a HUGE move that it got approved for NTF and NFC. If NHRA would finally remove the stupid bore center rule, then someone could run a Ford 385 Series engine again.

So how many injected nitro cars will be built for next year? Is every one just waiting for the existing one to prove it's a worth while combo? And just for yuks & grins, is it easier to move to T/F from an injected nitro car or a blown alky car? Am kinda thinking injected nitro. And what if injected nitro F/C becomes like T/AD today, where most of the cars are injected nitro? Will blown alky just fade away?

So how many injected nitro cars will be built for next year? Is every one just waiting for the existing one to prove it's a worth while combo? And just for yuks & grins, is it easier to move to T/F from an injected nitro car or a blown alky car? Am kinda thinking injected nitro. And what if injected nitro F/C becomes like T/AD today, where most of the cars are injected nitro? Will blown alky just fade away?

I would think that the first one out of the gate would be the Randy Meyer car ran a short while ago.

Randy, are you thinking 5.30's at 280, more or less?
Myself, I believe those numbers are attainable but they're a tenth and 10mph more than the blower cars - and I don't believe NHRA (or the blown alcohol racers) would put up with it for very long. It took what, 10 years of diddling with nitro TAD before they finally settled on an equitable combination for the fuelers?

I watched an interview with Megan Meyer recently about Randy's AFC. She had almost zero interest in driving it. Rachel wanted to try it. But Julie was the main reason that car was built. I believe it was said that Julie wishes to use the AFC to step up to FC.

Having not driven either myself, I can only repeat what I have heard/read prior. Injected nitro is a direct transition into blown nitro. The first 300' or so are very similar for both. Blown nitro rapidly changes from there. Blown alky is why different since you have to use the clutch pedal more, you have to hunt for your launch RPM, then you must swap feet, and you have to shift. For a lack of a better term, injected nitro and blown nitro are "stab and steer" affairs.

There was a team with a ready to run A/FC on display on the midway in Seattle this weekend. They said they were displaying it for NHRA. Speaking with them was interesting. They said that one of the big cost savers in running injected nitro is the blowers. They claimed that a top TAFC needs 3 blowers to keep in rotation, at 25 grand each. As well, we spoke with Jackie Fricke and she said that parts attrition is much less on nitro because they only rev to 6800 rpm, compared to the 10,000 rpm that blown alcohol runs. Interesting stuff. Hopefully this move by NHRA will increase participation. Seattle only had 6 cars in TAFC this weekend, where in years past they usually had full, or almost full, fields in TAFC.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back