What did Jay Payne do to earn NHRAs wrath? (1 Viewer)

Nitro Member
Review Panel Decision - Jay Payne Appeal
http://www.nhraracer.com/content/general.asp?articleid=69280&zoneid=175

His TAFC license was on probation for a year and his Pro Mod license was indefinitely suspended. Now it's been changed to his Pro Mod license being suspended until May and then indefinite probation, and his TAFC license on indefinite probation.

I remember the nasty Pro Mod wreck last year at St. Louis, but what else has happened that NHRA went after him so harshly? I guess this kind of explains why Larry Morgan is going Pro Mod and Jonnie Lindberg is helping out Jay until he hops into the Head Funny Car.

Didn't he destroy his FC into the net at one race last year? I know he banged the wall pretty good in Vegas national a couple of years ago too. I've always considered him to be a good driver but maybe he isn't. I've never driven either so I'm no expert on the subject. I just hate to see NHRA hassling a driver. We need more of them out there.

Last year at Indy in Q2 he clipped the wall and in Q3, no chutes 'til just before the kitty litter. The end of his weekend. Then the aforementioned Pro Mod crash 3 weeks later at St. Louis.

Last edited:
Well Shelly had a pretty bad PM crash a few years ago too. These are probably the 2 most evil cars in the NHRA. What's kind of crazy is I don't know if there is an active TAFC racer out there right now with more runs than Jay.

He's needed shoulder surgery for quite a while and NHRA is basically forcing him to do it. Yes, the lack of mobility most definitely assisted in his "crash-itis" issues.

jaypayne1.png
jaypayne2.png
jaypayne3.png
jaypayne4.png

Jay likes to drive a race car not just ride it.If he cant use the steering wheel he said its no fun--

I was there at LVMS in 2015, and when he wiped out the tree that was definitely not his fault. It was much like the situation with Larry Dixon there this year. However, Jay did have too many other issues that NHRA took exception to on the track.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back