New Pro Stock rules (1 Viewer)

Ma Green

Nitro Member
I feel sorry for the Pro Stockers. NHRA, in their infinite wisdom, has once again thrown a bunch of new rules at a class with absolutely no testing, and no idea if anything will really work....or worse, make the cars handle worse. Is there anyone, who actually drives a Pro Stock car, who helped make these rules?

Same with the automative shutoff device at Pomona. Put in to place without ever testing it for real. It not only didn't help, it hendered by breaking parts.

But, once again, I forget who we're dealing with. Bean-counters! "We don't know what it does, but just fix it"

Maybe they should have all P/S drivers. Check to see if the NHRA track prep crews are applying the proper VHT. At least that would have helped in Phoenix.

the problem was that dump of a track not the cars, jumping the gun again nhra!!!!!!!

Sounds like AJ and several others agree, Jeff.

The wicker I get; it's quick and will be much easier to police/manage than minimum weights on the rear, thanks to the method of weighing cars that has proven to be suspect on more than one occasion. Mandating a minimum rear weight on the car sounds like it could also mandate changing quite a bit more things to accomodate, but unless I read it wrong, Jones said most teams are already in the range of the new minimum anyway, so who knows.

Overall I agree. Waaaaay too quick to make this major of a change. On the other hand, everybody complained about the junk track, but many also said the Pro Stockers are on the edge of out-of-control anyway, so maybe a little more downforce at speed isn't such a bad change.

Sean D

It's always good to pull some new rules out of your ass thinking it will solve everything.:rolleyes: "OK everyone, do this to your cars and then we'll toss you right into the deep end. We hope it works - it probably will because Nascar has a splitter so and we always copy them anyway. Look at how well the countdown worked - we copied that from Nascar and it's been a total success":eek:.

New ideas should be tested by some qualified people BEFORE they are turned into rules. How do the rule makers know these great new ideas won't screw something else up? I just hope these things do work and nobody gets hurt or worse.

I suppose if they whad up the first few pairs of cars, NHRA will probably claim it had to do with the wind or some other BS. They would never admit the new rules didn't work. I still laugh about when Jim Yates (I can't remember what year - before Warren became the first to offically go 200 MPH) made three 200+ MPH runs at Atlanta or someplace but was told the runs didn't count because his PAINT JOB was screewing up the clocks!!!

God help them!!!
Dave

Last edited:
Will someone please ask theas so called teck peps to please test at home or during a off week. Not to hinder the whole feild just a week befor another event? Why did'nt they test this during the last two weeks off. Another slap in the face, Hey Kurt you sure ya'll want to come deal with this silly crap? P.S. Come on Allen Johnson dig deep and show them what ya got!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's always good to pull some new rules out of your ass thinking it will solve everything.:rolleyes: "OK everyone, do this to your cars and then we'll toss you right into the deep end. We hope it works - it probably will because Nascar has a splitter so and we always copy them anyway. Look at how well the countdown worked - we copied that from Nascar and it's been a total success":eek:.

New ideas should be tested by some qualified people BEFORE they are turned into rules. How do the rule makers know these great new ideas won't screw something else up? I just hope these things do work and nobody gets hurt or worse.

I suppose if they whad up the first few pairs of cars, NHRA will probably claim it had to do with the wind or some other BS. They would never admit the new rules didn't work. I still laugh about when Jim Yates (I can't remember what year - before Warren became the first to offically go 200 MPH) made three 200+ MPH runs at Atlanta or someplace but was told the runs didn't count because his PAINT JOB was screewing up the clocks!!!

God help them!!!
Dave

If everyone else was running 195-197 and Yates is ripping off 202mph runs, don't you think that's a little suspect? Plus they didn't match the e.t. so it wasn't like he left the nitrous on too long.

If everyone else was running 195-197 and Yates is ripping off 202mph runs, don't you think that's a little suspect? Plus they didn't match the e.t. so it wasn't like he left the nitrous on too long.
Very nice, Dave. Between you and the one below you..we've got it made.

I wonder if Tim Gibson, the Areo Man has any opinion or statements on this subject, he would know.

Here's a good article on the new rules, doesn't sound like a knee jerk reaction to me..................

LIGHT: CHANGES TO PRO STOCK NOT BASED SOLELY ON PHOENIX

Lance I would have to agree.

I know there has been debate on the Down Force/Wickerbill issue for some time. My first car had a 1/4" Wicker and the last had 5/8" mandated by NHRA. The idea is to make the car more stable. The Teams have been running less weight on the Rear of the car, some as low as 1050 lbs and moving the Bar IC out. The lighter weight gave Teams the ability to go to lower Spring Rates on the Shocks.

And with never ending perseverance, most, if not all of the Teams will lower the ET and increase the MPH as history has proven no matter what the change.

What is a "wicker bill" and how does it work? I'm thinking that it is the kick-up at the rear of the soiler runninng left-right?

Lance I would have to agree.

I know there has been debate on the Down Force/Wickerbill issue for some time. My first car had a 1/4" Wicker and the last had 5/8" mandated by NHRA. The idea is to make the car more stable. The Teams have been running less weight on the Rear of the car, some as low as 1050 lbs and moving the Bar IC out. The lighter weight gave Teams the ability to go to lower Spring Rates on the Shocks.

And with never ending perseverance, most, if not all of the Teams will lower the ET and increase the MPH as history has proven no matter what the change.

Good to hear from you Pat! How are you doing? Will you be racing any this year?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back