New Evidence Shows E 15 can Damage Even Newer Autos (1 Viewer)

Larry

Nitro Member
Less Gas Mileage , water magnet , short shelf life , and if your car burns Premium you will likely experience buying gas that will hardly burn.
I buy gas for my Vette at a Shell Station by the University where the egghead professors fill up their Volvos and BMW's .
That doesn't work for trips though.

New Evidence of E15 Fuel Damage Confirms Case Against Renewable Fuel Standard -- WASHINGTON, Jan. 29,*2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ --

Download imageWASHINGTON, Jan. 29, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- New research released by the Coordinating Research Council (CRC) today found that E15, gasoline blended with 15 percent ethanol, would damage millions of post-2001 model year vehicles. The CRC study concluded that E15 would result in fuel system failures.

(Logo: Login)

"This latest research is further evidence that E15 is not just an abstract public policy gone wrong; it's likely to harm everyday consumers," said Charlie T. Drevna , President of the American Fuel & Petrochemical Manufacturers (AFPM).

The CRC engine durability study and the newly released fuel pump study provide compelling evidence that EPA's approval of E15 was premature. EPA must examine this new information and reconsider its E15 waiver decision. EPA's decision to permit the sale of E15 will harm consumers and goes beyond the agency's authority to approve motor fuels under the Clean Air Act.

The Renewable Fuel Standard (RFS) biofuel requirements first set by Congress in 2007 have become increasingly unworkable as fuel efficiency gains mean there is less gasoline to blend ethanol into without causing major issues for millions of cars, motorcycles, and small engines, such as lawnmowers, snow blowers and chainsaws. Unfortunately, despite warnings from AAA, small engine manufacturers, and automakers that increasing ethanol concentration in gasoline could void vehicle warranties and jeopardize consumer safety, EPA has stood by its E15 decision.

"While Congress could not have anticipated that the Renewable Fuel Standard would backfire as badly as it has, increasing ethanol concentration in gasoline is not the appropriate response. Doing so will only prolong the shelf-life of a policy that has proven unworkable, time and time again. Congress must make it a priority this year to repeal the RFS before millions of motorists are put at risk," said Drevna.

AFPM, the American Fuel & Petrochemical Manufacturers (formerly known as NPRA, the National Petrochemical & Refiners Association) is a trade association representing high-tech American manufacturers of virtually the entire U.S. supply of gasoline, diesel, jet fuel, other fuels and home heating oil, as well as the petrochemicals used as building blocks for thousands of vital products in daily life. AFPM members make modern life possible and keep America moving and growing as they meet the needs of our nation and local communities, strengthen economic and national security, and support 2 million American jobs.

SOURCE American Fuel & Petrochemical Manufacturers

PR Newswire (New Evidence of E15 Fuel Damage Confirms Case Against Renewable Fuel Standard -- WASHINGTON, Jan. 29, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ --)

Last edited:
What did you expect to hear from the companies that make GASOLINE? Anytime you use less gas and more alcohol they will complain because they are not making as much money.

No fuel is perfect, but a one sided "reasearch" article by the people that make gasoline is hardly newsworthy, nor unexpected.

What did you expect to hear from the companies that make GASOLINE? Anytime you use less gas and more alcohol they will complain because they are not making as much money.

No fuel is perfect, but a one sided "research" article by the people that make gasoline is hardly newsworthy, nor unexpected.

Well as a Vette owner that buys Premium I can tell you that Ethanol gets less mileage and if you are on a trip you are rolling the dice buying fuel because it likely has been sitting in that underground tank attracting water that can damage my forged 383 stroker .
The gasoline makers have to buy additives anyway and they are selling an extra 10 percent more fuel because of the mileage difference .
They cannot control the condition of the fuel once it is delivered to the point of sale.
Premium gas for high end cars is not selling a quarter as fast as regular and it is a problem .
My vette clanks and pops and smokes like a diesel on several occasions I purchased bad gas on a trip and the fault lies with the Ethanol .

However the gasoline producers the Auto makers and other groups say water in gas is not good for your engine .
The corrosion is a killer for longevity.
Lawmakers don't know beans about gas but they do know how to take a buck from corn interests.
E 15 will make the problem even worse .

Last edited:
This is all true, Ethanol attracts water from the air, and corrodes everything, it kills gas mileage, more so on higher mileage engines.
Look at what it does to aluminum, when left in a race car fuel tank over night, it leaches into the plastic gas tanks of todays modern cars and deposts the residue in the fuel system, lines, Filter, Injectors, and realted parts its just bad for everything it kills the o-rings in the fuel system, and causes fuel leaks.

Alcohol of any kind is just bad as a day to day motor fuel, it produces to much CO2 when it burns, you need burn more of it to make any kind of power in todays low compression engines, it works in racing application as there are very high compression ratios, and boost pressures, but thats about it.

But hey put some of that corn alcohol in a oak barrell for a few months then you will have something........I'm all for using that........LF

Last edited:
We should all know that alcohol does not have the BTUs when it is burned so it requires more fuel for the same pop. No big deal. And yes straight alcohol will harm some plastics, but this isn't straight alcohol.

Alcohol does not smoke when it burns, so if your car smokes when it runs then there is something else wrong with it.

I would not run E-15 simply because of the changes required, E-85 is a far better fuel for a passenger car. A drag car could run E-15 and take advantage of cooler running temps and save $10 a gallon over racing fuel.

The drivability issues caused by the use of this fuel stem from water in the fuel mostly,but also the damage done to O2 sensors and Cat on OBDII system cars, also there is a corrolation between aluminum head damage leading to head gasket failer using the E15.

Another problem with this fuel is it has shorted storage life, it just plain spoils in the tank then just does'nt want to burn.

We should all know that alcohol does not have the BTUs when it is burned so it requires more fuel for the same pop. No big deal. And yes straight alcohol will harm some plastics, but this isn't straight alcohol.

Alcohol does not smoke when it burns, so if your car smokes when it runs then there is something else wrong with it.

I would not run E-15 simply because of the changes required, E-85 is a far better fuel for a passenger car. A drag car could run E-15 and take advantage of cooler running temps and save $10 a gallon over racing fuel.

Yeah it smokes like a Diesel when I get water and gell in my tank .
All underground tanks have water on the bottom .
You have to pump it out . It wasn't a problem when gas did not mix with water .
The shelf life of mixed gas is 1 year under optimum conditions I E no contamination .
Even then if the gas is turned over and sold it's not a problem .
Like I said rolling the dice on a trip if you burn Premo .

My Alcohol carb on my track car contains special parts that will not corrode .
You cannot run Alcohol is a ordinary fuel system.
Cars today are built to burn E 85 but not water laden fuel.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back