New England car count (1 Viewer)

Go look at the car count for the next race. I don't think 12 is the future for all races. However, I do think some races will have short fields and some will have plenty of cars. It's has everything to do with cost and purse payout. For me it costs 6-8k more to go to races that all my crew guys have to fly into. That is why I usually only do 1 race a year like that.

I was going to start a thread about this earlier today. It is a darn shame. But like Kyle said, Norwalk is already at 18 top fuel and 17 funny car. This has to be the weakest race on the schedule. This date should be used for a race that will actually draw a full field. I think it is time for a late spring Indy race full time.

Sorry for the NED fans but it is just so out of the way.

The 13 car funny car bracket is always interesting. The way the bracket lays out, the #1 and #2 qualifiers would meet in the semi’s. We would have byes in each of the first three rounds meaning the #1 qualifier would have a bye in the 1st, #2 in the second and #3 in the semis.

to far out of the way? Bullcrap, Bad excuse, Most teams are in INDY, NED (989 miles) Phoenix (1698 miles) Pomona (2039 miles) Sonoma (2251 miles) Las Vegas (1831 miles) Both Capco cars are here as well as Salinas

Last edited:
to far out of the way? Bullcrap, Bad excuse, Most teams are in INDY, NED (989 miles) Phoenix (1698 miles) Pomona (2039 miles) Sonoma (2251 miles) Las Vegas (1831 miles) Both Capco cars are here as well as Salinas
Yup, all of the big budget guys are there who go to all the races. I suggest reading Kyle's post above.

There's a few reasons you don't see a lot of the independents there. The hotels are at least a half hour or more away from the track and the rates are astronomical due to it being tourist season up there. Then there's the location, Epping is out in the middle of nowhere and the traffic getting in and out of the track is a hot mess. And there's a lot of tolls to get there, even in a car it costs a lot. Like Kyle said, it doesn't make financial sense with the reduced purses for the independents to run the event.

There was a reason it was on the chopping block, same as Seattle.
1) the race was unsponsored
2) COVID restrictions
3) difficulty getting there

I grew up at Epping and melted when they got the event in 2013, but also knew that it would be a challenge for car counts due to one thing TRAVEL. Both Kyle & Bob hit the nail on the head with 'travel costs'. Epping does not have a lot of accommodations inside a 30 mile radius (Manchester to the west and Portsmouth to the Northeast)...then its the start of vacation season and now tourists & race teams are fighting for the same hotel rooms.
I am a sportsman racer, but understand that pros draw the crowds...with the event being unsponsored, plus low car counts, how would this be a profitable event for NHRA?
My personal feeling is, that if Tasca & DeJoria didn't step up with sponsorship, even with the state lifting COVID restrictions, this race would have been cancelled just like Seattle.

The 13 car funny car bracket is always interesting. The way the bracket lays out, the #1 and #2 qualifiers would meet in the semi’s. We would have byes in each of the first three rounds meaning the #1 qualifier would have a bye in the 1st, #2 in the second and #3 in the semis.

They still don't meet 'till the final, and only 2 bye runs. 1 has the bye on one side, 2 vs 13 on the other side. Winner of 2 vs 13 gets the bye in the second round. There will be 7 winners plus the bye in round 2, that makes a full 4 semi final.

They still don't meet 'till the final, and only 2 bye runs. 1 has the bye on one side, 2 vs 13 on the other side. Winner of 2 vs 13 gets the bye in the second round. There will be 7 winners plus the bye in round 2, that makes a full 4 semi final.
You are correct. I guess it’s the 9 car ladder when that scenario happens. Let’s hope we never see that.

races like this is where you really feel the effect of losing the two dsr/chandler touring FC's. throw in the once 3rd JFR FC and it's a full field.

I found a ladder with 13 from the 2019 Epping TF field. It looks like just two byes. A buy for #1 in 1st Rnd and a bye for #2 in the 2nd round. Also #1 and #2 would not meet until the final Rnd.

1623345674679.png

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back