NASCAR For Sale (1 Viewer)

It was done because they all knew some tracks were too short and/or did not have proper shutdown areas. You dont think Scott would still be here if this happened in Vegas or Charlotte?
I believe he is saying 1000 versus 1320 would not have changed the outcome that day at that track.

If some of the drivers wanted it shortened then maybe they shouldnt be drivers?? Id be up for 100% nitro and 1320,bring it on. Its a risk going that fast i understand that i may die.

So why wear a helmet or seat belts then? This is exactly the kind of thinking why rules have to be made.

If the Boom reach equipment hadn't been in the middle of the track on the top end for top end camera, or there was a catch net with the ability to catch his car and stop him without blunt trauma, I believe Scott might be still with us, May He Rest In Peace

The only thing I like about Street Outlaws was that it brought the focus back on American iron....for a while it looked like import racing and drift (the stupidest form of motorsport) were going to be the future
...a bleak future

View attachment 4617
Let me tell you how serious this drifting thing is... Up here at the track where my shop is, they have all kinds of mid week testing going on. Two weeks ago there was a factory Ferrari drift car, flown over here from Italy with a driver that spoke no english. They were practicing with it all day. Last week there was a Bently drift car, 785 hp, 900+ lbs of torque up here practicing. As for the import drag racers, I took my Corvette to Famosa test and tune to see what it ran in the quarter. I lined up next to a Honda Civic with a big turbo inlet where the grill would have been. When we left, he was gone. I turned 116 mph, he turned 154 mph. You know he was making fun of the old geezers in their stone age Corvettes.

If some of the drivers wanted it shortened then maybe they shouldnt be drivers?? Id be up for 100% nitro and 1320,bring it on. Its a risk going that fast i understand that i may die.

Sometimes an authority figure needs to pull back the reigns on the "kids", before they hurt themselves

Let me tell you how serious this drifting thing is... Up here at the track where my shop is, they have all kinds of mid week testing going on. Two weeks ago there was a factory Ferrari drift car, flown over here from Italy with a driver that spoke no english. They were practicing with it all day. Last week there was a Bently drift car, 785 hp, 900+ lbs of torque up here practicing. As for the import drag racers, I took my Corvette to Famosa test and tune to see what it ran in the quarter. I lined up next to a Honda Civic with a big turbo inlet where the grill would have been. When we left, he was gone. I turned 116 mph, he turned 154 mph. You know he was making fun of the old geezers in their stone age Corvettes.

Drifting is showing off, plain and simple. They all scream it's about "car control" but we know where this all came from...we did it with our street cars and it was usually ticketed as "reckless driving".
Doing doughnuts is just as ridiculous....wastes tires, engines, etc. to show off. I enjoy seeing big American cars with the power to stand up off of the starting line, torque twisting and contorting the chassis. Import cars built as light racecars can do that just by stepping on their rear bumper ~:)~

Import racers can and do make more power than American iron, but how long do they stay together at 30psi boost? And who here wants to be inside a tiny little Mazda or Datsun when they ball it up at 200mph? Not me....

Drifting is showing off, plain and simple. They all scream it's about "car control" but we know where this all came from...we did it with our street cars and it was usually ticketed as "reckless driving".
Doing doughnuts is just as ridiculous....wastes tires, engines, etc. to show off. I enjoy seeing big American cars with the power to stand up off of the starting line, torque twisting and contorting the chassis. Import cars built as light racecars can do that just by stepping on their rear bumper ~:)~

Import racers can and do make more power than American iron, but how long do they stay together at 30psi boost? And who here wants to be inside a tiny little Mazda or Datsun when they ball it up at 200mph? Not me....
Different strokes for different folks. I enjoy the show drifting puts on and there is plenty of skill from the drivers.
I'm not sure how familiar you are with import motors but a stock Toyota 2JZ (Supra motor) will handle over 30psi in stock form pretty easy. The guys who are pushing the five second time slips now are using billet blocks that handle 90psi. Yes there are some light cars but there is also some phenomenal horsepower being made.
Some guys are looking to the 1FZ (Landcruiser motor) for extra cubic inches and apparently that is even tougher again in stock form.
As for 'being inside a tiny Mazda or Datsun' when it crashes at 200mph, at those kind of speeds you've got the same roll cage as everyone else - what you have wrapped around it doesn't really matter a whole lot!

I am a tech inspector for Southwest Drift and Vegasdrift. It is about car control and style (what you called showing off). These guys are all building big horsepower (800+) and going out on a track and running door handle to door handle with their competitors fully sideways at 80MPH. Whether you like it or not, it takes balls and skill. There are just as many American cars as there are import cars, late model Mustangs and Camaros are cheap. E30/36 Bimmers with turbo'd LS motors seem to be the hot setup these days versus "little Datsun or Mazdas". All of the cars are as well engineered as anything you will see in the staging lanes of a weekend program at your local drag strip, probably better engineered since they have to turn right and left, use a lot more brake and go up and down through the gearbox.

Some of these guys tried drag racing first. Some of them would still like to try drag racing. But at every turn, there are "old guys" that turn their nose up at them and scoffed at them. The message was loud and clear, they weren't welcome. So they spent their money and enthusiasm elsewhere.

The last component is one that is overlooked by the drag racing crowd. Drifting is FUN. And the guys get A LOT more seat time. These guys have spent just as much, if not more money, as most of your local drag racers, but they get a lot more use out of the car. Sitting in the staging lanes or pits all day at a dragstrip to get 3 or 4 hits is not fun. Most of our events, the guys already have an hour of seat time by noon and big giant smiles on their faces.

I am a tech inspector for Southwest Drift and Vegasdrift. It is about car control and style (what you called showing off). These guys are all building big horsepower (800+) and going out on a track and running door handle to door handle with their competitors fully sideways at 80MPH. Whether you like it or not, it takes balls and skill. There are just as many American cars as there are import cars, late model Mustangs and Camaros are cheap. E30/36 Bimmers with turbo'd LS motors seem to be the hot setup these days versus "little Datsun or Mazdas". All of the cars are as well engineered as anything you will see in the staging lanes of a weekend program at your local drag strip, probably better engineered since they have to turn right and left, use a lot more brake and go up and down through the gearbox.

Some of these guys tried drag racing first. Some of them would still like to try drag racing. But at every turn, there are "old guys" that turn their nose up at them and scoffed at them. The message was loud and clear, they weren't welcome. So they spent their money and enthusiasm elsewhere.

The last component is one that is overlooked by the drag racing crowd. Drifting is FUN. And the guys get A LOT more seat time. These guys have spent just as much, if not more money, as most of your local drag racers, but they get a lot more use out of the car. Sitting in the staging lanes or pits all day at a dragstrip to get 3 or 4 hits is not fun. Most of our events, the guys already have an hour of seat time by noon and big giant smiles on their faces.
I think any true gearhead can appreciate all kinds of motorsports. I was at the dragstrip while I was in diapers (hope that doesn't come full circle when I'm old :D) so I'm still addicted. But, I like everything to some degree. Haven't seen the drifters in person yet, but last fall my dad and I went to the Scottsdale Goodguys, and we watched the autocross guys go at it. Some of those cars are badass!

I like to watch drifting but I'm not as excited about all the tire screetching, after a while it is like fingernails on a chalkboard.:)

I really don't think you can credit NHRA for any upswing in drag racing. They are the only ones left running big show nitro cars and can barely get full fields. If you would admit it, Street Outlaws can claim more credit. They have ushered in a new wave of drag racing and drag racers. This lights out / no prep, etc. is what is driving drag racing.
.....the countdown....1000'.....4-wide.....hmmmm, sounds familiar. (yes, I know, dead horse)
Attendance has been up at every NHRA National event this year. Packed grandstands at most of them, including sellouts. Street Outlaws has helped the sport, but their events are not near the spectacle that an NHRA national event is, they get the crowds because of cheap tickets and TV personalities. NHRA is probably the only major Mortorsport that is not in decline like other Motorsports.

based on what you see for attendance at nat. events, and reported nielsen ratings, the nhra seems to be holding it's own fairly well.
in the argument of 'cars or stars', IMO nhra has focused on 'stars' and i think it is paying off. i turn on nascar every once in while and can't even watch it.
barely recognize any names at all anymore. i think nhra is selling it's drivers and it's working.

They have the same problem many other forms of sports have right now and that is "Where the hell did all the fans go"

It is not just NASCAR if that is any consolation it's many forms of racing, Pro Golf, Baseball, Football, Car Shows, vendors who sell most racing products are seeing the same thing happening.
What's happening has been going on for the past 5 years or more but appears to be getting worse with each year.

Everyone from the NHRA to NASCAR to other forms of sports are trying to adjust their programs but the million dollar question is how to adjust their business to fit the changing times we are in.
Some events still are very popular and do have a good turnout of fans but then you have other events where the the place is no where near sold out.

Peoples interests are simply changing and with all the electronics everyone has today there is a great deal of competition for the consumers dollars.

Look at many local events from Saturday night circle track racing to drag racing and tell me if the stands are filled the way they were just 5 or 10 years ago.
Because of the business I am in I get to talk to a lot of people everyday and they almost all tell me the same thing and that is something is changing.

The old saying "Change is inevitable" sure does not make it any easier!!!

Just my opinion Jim Hill

www.nostalgicracingdecals.com

Live Streaming, On demand and HD broadcasting is where the fans went!

Attendance has been up at every NHRA National event this year. Packed grandstands at most of them, including sellouts. Street Outlaws has helped the sport, but their events are not near the spectacle that an NHRA national event is, they get the crowds because of cheap tickets and TV personalities. NHRA is probably the only major Mortorsport that is not in decline like other Motorsports.

Lance, we have to accept the fact that the Nostalgia crowd won’t give NHRA credit for anything. As far as they’re concerned, Real Drag Racing ended in 1977

Most of the NASCAR commercials seem to feature Dale Ernhart or Junior or newer drivers talking about what Dale would have done.

They are trying to get the fans to come back.

Most of the NASCAR commercials seem to feature Dale Ernhart or Junior or newer drivers talking about what Dale would have done.

They are trying to get the fans to come back.
Put Dale Earnhardt Jr back itn car and stands will fill up considerbly.
Damn i cant type on these new phones

Put Dale Earnhardt Jr back itn car and stands will fill up considerbly.
Damn i cant type on these new phones
Put him back in the car to finish mid-pack like he did the last 2 years of his career? That should pack them in, lol.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back