NASCAR For Sale (2 Viewers)

You could write a book on the decline of NASCAR and the reasons why. Had a friend who used to go to Daytona every year. He said the free parking for his motorhome suddenly became $100 per night. Ticket prices as well as fuel and everything else kept rising. Said he finally just said to heck with it. Easier to stay home and watch it on TV. Same deal with me and college football. After years of season tickets, just got tired of the hassle. My beer is colder, cheaper, and closer to my seat than that in the stadium. And when the game sucks, I can change channels. I think NASCAR is an "old guy sport" (for the most part) like a lot of the NHRA racing we all love. Younger folks just have too much other things to fill their time. And even a lot of us old guys are disgusted with it, because like all geezers, we miss the way it was.

The beginning to the end was when a certain dad, made a kid named "Cale" drive a car painted with Petty colors ..... screwed up the whole space / time continuum ... was even worse that it was painted with those " Melling / Coors " posters hanging in the same office... ..;)

Those colors was from the Pineapple's car and it was Jason's car. Lol

I always wanted to go to the Daytona 500. Just one of those bucket list things, I love all forms of racing.

I went to the Daytona website and found a great seat. Exit of turn 1, mid way up, I could see the entire track. Couldn't have asked for a better view. It cost me $180.00 Add in the AAA charter bus, food, the Racing Electronics headset that everyone said I should rent, and a few swag items, I spent over $300 for the day.

The race was pretty good, it got kind of boring in the middle when it was just one long freight train of cars, but overall, not bad.

Bucket list crossed off, I'll watch all the rest of them on my flat screen in my living room, you can see much more and it's a lot more comfortable. There were people there with large families, I can't imagine what they must have spent.

Remember when NASCAR was in it's heyday? They were actually talking about putting it on pay TV and making people pay to watch the races. Wonder how that would have worked for them? They're now hard at work removing all those seats that they put in years ago that just sit there collecting dust. I guess it's better to remove the seats than to be reminded of the dwindling attendance numbers.

On a similar note, my wife and I wanted to take our grandson to see the Monster Trucks in Philly last weekend. The cheapest tickets were $50.00 Oh, you could spend a lot more than that if you wanted really good seats. Throw in $20 for parking and $30 for food, it becomes a $200 adventure. Greed is what's causing the attendance problem. They're pricing themselves right out of business, the average family can no longer afford that nonsense.

I always wanted to go to the Daytona 500. Just one of those bucket list things, I love all forms of racing.

I went to the Daytona website and found a great seat. Exit of turn 1, mid way up, I could see the entire track. Couldn't have asked for a better view. It cost me $180.00 Add in the AAA charter bus, food, the Racing Electronics headset that everyone said I should rent, and a few swag items, I spent over $300 for the day.

The race was pretty good, it got kind of boring in the middle when it was just one long freight train of cars, but overall, not bad.

Bucket list crossed off, I'll watch all the rest of them on my flat screen in my living room, you can see much more and it's a lot more comfortable. There were people there with large families, I can't imagine what they must have spent.

Remember when NASCAR was in it's heyday? They were actually talking about putting it on pay TV and making people pay to watch the races. Wonder how that would have worked for them? They're now hard at work removing all those seats that they put in years ago that just sit there collecting dust. I guess it's better to remove the seats than to be reminded of the dwindling attendance numbers.

On a similar note, my wife and I wanted to take our grandson to see the Monster Trucks in Philly last weekend. The cheapest tickets were $50.00 Oh, you could spend a lot more than that if you wanted really good seats. Throw in $20 for parking and $30 for food, it becomes a $200 adventure. Greed is what's causing the attendance problem. They're pricing themselves right out of business, the average family can no longer afford that nonsense.
Me and a couple of my buddies took a motorhome and stayed in the infield at the Daytona 500 in 1985 and we had a great time. About all I remember about the racing was that Bill Elliot won... but I do remember that camping in the infield was a blast.:)

One year for Christmas my sons and daughter gave me a gift of going to the Richard Petty driving school and it was really a lot of fun.

The instuctor told me has long as I could stay within four cars lengths of him that he would continue to go faster so we went out on the track and I got up to 147 mph and since there were only a few laps left I was able to get up into the mid 150's before he waved me off and we slowed down and stopped in the pits.

I asked him why he waved me off and he told me they did not want new students going over 160 and he said that's where we were going next.

It really is a great deal of fun and the only bad part was that had a different rears in the rear and at the end of the back straight I ony had about 6800 rpm's so the only way to go faster is to drive a higher line around the track.

Jim Hill
www.nostalgicracingdecals.com

...and by the way, the race teams asked for 1000 foot, not NHRA.
Very few teams asked for 1000 feet. I remember most teams were against it at first..... especially when discussing it in private, away from TV cameras.

Very few teams asked for 1000 feet. I remember most teams were against it at first..... especially when discussing it in private, away from TV cameras.

It was my understanding after Scotts accident most of the drivers went to the NHRA to make this change. Either way it was the correct move.

NASCAR fell out of favor with me when they banned the Hemis and the winged cars.
Kind of like NHRA banning the Hemis.
“If you can’t beat them, ban them.”

It was my understanding after Scotts accident most of the drivers went to the NHRA to make this change. Either way it was the correct move.
even if it were 1000 feet when scott crashed,wouldnt have chnaged a thing,he blew up before then.

I really don't think you can credit NHRA for any upswing in drag racing. They are the only ones left running big show nitro cars and can barely get full fields. If you would admit it, Street Outlaws can claim more credit. They have ushered in a new wave of drag racing and drag racers. This lights out / no prep, etc. is what is driving drag racing.

IMO, Many dislike Street Outlaws and No Prep but they are creating a Lot of attention to drag racing especially the younger generation that many may think are not interested in the sport that we love.

I believe many people still really love drag racing just not the type of drag racing the sanctioning bodies are selling.

The Nostalgic Drag Racing events seem to have plenty of drag racers and fans showing up.

I guess it all depends on what type of drag racing you want to see. I also notice that some of the street racers now appear to be doing the exact same thing but on drag strips instead of the streets.

Jim Hill
www.nostalgicracingdecals.com

The only thing I like about Street Outlaws was that it brought the focus back on American iron....for a while it looked like import racing and drift (the stupidest form of motorsport) were going to be the future
...a bleak future

two idiots.jpg

I tried again this weekend to watch street outlaws on tv and 2 episodes is all I could handle. I could get more excited watching Three Stooges reruns. I'm just thankful that I can still watch NASCAR, NHRA, World of Outlaws, Chili Bowl, and my favorite race in the world the Indy 500. I do find it a little odd that the hottest thread on a drag racing forum is a thread about NASCAR.:)

Last edited:
Not true, the teams threatened to boycott Denver if it wasn't changed to 1000 foot and NHRA relented.

even if it were 1000 feet when scott crashed,wouldnt have chnaged a thing,he blew up before then.

It was done because they all knew some tracks were too short and/or did not have proper shutdown areas. You dont think Scott would still be here if this happened in Vegas or Charlotte?

It was done because they all knew some tracks were too short and/or did not have proper shutdown areas. You dont think Scott would still be here if this happened in Vegas or Charlotte?
If some of the drivers wanted it shortened then maybe they shouldnt be drivers?? Id be up for 100% nitro and 1320,bring it on. Its a risk going that fast i understand that i may die.

I really don't think you can credit NHRA for any upswing in drag racing. They are the only ones left running big show nitro cars and can barely get full fields. If you would admit it, Street Outlaws can claim more credit. They have ushered in a new wave of drag racing and drag racers. This lights out / no prep, etc. is what is driving drag racing.
Exactly. Look at the stands at an event where the Street Outlaws guys or the no prep cars show up. They are generally pretty full.
I’d venture to say most people are there because of the drivers and their personalities, and not because of the cars.
The drivers generally are not talking advertisements for sponsors.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back