NASCAR For Sale (1 Viewer)

Nunz

Nitro Member
The France family is looking for a buyer, apparently due to declining TV and live attendance numbers. The value will most likely have a “B” in front of it. Makes you realize how small the NHRA is in comparison. But, it seems to me the NHRA is on an upswing, actually drag racing in general. The good thing about being small, is there is a lot of room to grow, kind of like a small cap stock. It will be interesting to see how it plays out for NASCAR.

They have the same problem many other forms of sports have right now and that is "Where the hell did all the fans go"

It is not just NASCAR if that is any consolation it's many forms of racing, Pro Golf, Baseball, Football, Car Shows, vendors who sell most racing products are seeing the same thing happening.
What's happening has been going on for the past 5 years or more but appears to be getting worse with each year.

Everyone from the NHRA to NASCAR to other forms of sports are trying to adjust their programs but the million dollar question is how to adjust their business to fit the changing times we are in.
Some events still are very popular and do have a good turnout of fans but then you have other events where the the place is no where near sold out.

Peoples interests are simply changing and with all the electronics everyone has today there is a great deal of competition for the consumers dollars.

Look at many local events from Saturday night circle track racing to drag racing and tell me if the stands are filled the way they were just 5 or 10 years ago.
Because of the business I am in I get to talk to a lot of people everyday and they almost all tell me the same thing and that is something is changing.

The old saying "Change is inevitable" sure does not make it any easier!!!

Just my opinion Jim Hill

www.nostalgicracingdecals.com

Sprint was paying a reported 75 million a year to sponsor the series, Monster is paying a reported 20 million a year. Monster re-upped for 2019, but they have no interest in extending beyond that date. NASCAR knows this and they have reportedly have NO ONE interested in signing on as a title sponsor for that rate, let alone the kind of dollar figures they were used to getting. So selling the NASCAR piece of the business seems like a good time to get out for the France family, especially with the declining ratings and attendance.

The piece of the business that interesting to me is the ISC piece, they own 11 tracks that NASCAR competes on, including Daytona and Talladega. Is that piece for sale too? NASCAR and ISC are 2 separate entities entirely.

IMO, NASCAR has been in trouble since Brian France took over. The Chase, the COT and common templates, the move away from traditional tracks and dates which alienated the traditional fanbase, constant rules manipulations (like stage racing) that have made the series contrived and complicated is as much to blame for the decline as HDTVs, the internet and millenials lack of interest in most things car related. The chickens have come home to roost to Brian France. I think a sale would be a good thing for NASCAR as long as the new owners are willing to unwind some of the changes that have been made and not try to maintain the status quo.

IMO, NASCAR has been in trouble since Brian France took over. The Chase, the COT and common templates, the move away from traditional tracks and dates which alienated the traditional fanbase, constant rules manipulations (like stage racing) that have made the series contrived and complicated......

.....the countdown....1000'.....4-wide.....hmmmm, sounds familiar. (yes, I know, dead horse)

Look at many local events from Saturday night circle track racing to drag racing and tell me if the stands are filled the way they were just 5 or 10 years ago.

I can't speak for circle burners and I've never seen full stands at a bracket race, but I do feel like the car counts are up at all the local drag strips I race at from be beginning of the decade. Most National events grandstands are way more fuller than they were at the beginning of the decade. I can't speak about the whole pie, but the slice I live on seems to be growing.

ISCA is the symbol, market cap almost 2 Billion, that’s Bruton’s Company.

Speedway Motorsports is Bruton Smith's company, and the stock symbol is TRK.

International Speedway Corporation (ISCA) is indeed the France family.

I understand that ISCA would not come with NASCAR, I was just wondering if the France family's piece of ISCA is for sale too.

With the cow being milked dry it would have to be some pretty creative buyers to think they could turn it around. The sale has the appearance of "selling it while we can still make some money" to it. I am not the biggest fan but I like pretty much most motorsports, hate to one failing after being so big. Hope its a lesson to other venues.

I understand that ISCA would not come with NASCAR, I was just wondering if the France family's piece of ISCA is for sale too.

Public companies are continually for sale, you just have to make an offer, force a shareholder vote and see if it is accepted. There are hostile acquisitions and friendly acquisitions ....

You’re right Chris, thanks for the correction.

First time I heard of this was a few months ago. And at the time everything to do with racing was up for grabs. (Talk was the prospective buyer was NBC-or some other part of the broadcast chain. ) Why pay a billion for tv rights when for 10 billion you can own the "whole cow'. Tracks-contents (which is all the racing will be)-broadcast rights-everything. Get ready NHRA-this is your future. Who just bought F1? Liberty MEDIA. Find a partner-quick!

Remember back in the mid 80's Coke got the bright idea to change the formula and it backfired, resulting in going back to
the original? Well maybe NASCAR should go find a 1978 Rule book. Tell the teams build to these specs and race under these rules and
point structure. Whatever has been tried isn't working, what's left to lose.

Remember back in the mid 80's Coke got the bright idea to change the formula and it backfired, resulting in going back to
the original? Well maybe NASCAR should go find a 1978 Rule book. Tell the teams build to these specs and race under these rules and
point structure. Whatever has been tried isn't working, what's left to lose.

The beginning to the end was when a certain dad, made a kid named "Cale" drive a car painted with Petty colors ..... screwed up the whole space / time continuum ... was even worse that it was painted with those " Melling / Coors " posters hanging in the same office... ..;)

time was when Winston...a brand that couldn't get on TV because advertising tobacco was taboo, made both NASCAR and NHRA into giants.....now soft drinks and cell phones that change as often as Auntie changed her bloomers are the name of the game...
and to NASCAR.......It is not the Sprint Champion or Nextel Champion when they are talking about King Richard Petty's career...it's WINSTON and don't ya fergit about it!

Back in the good old days....no sponsors, nothing more needed to be said....
world600.png

Last edited:
There is a lesson to be learned for all sanctioning bodies that keep changing the rules all the time.

Just my opinion but they are killing the golden goose that made them all successful for years.

Both of my sons are in there 30's and early 40's and they have raced since they were 8 years old and they no longer watch NASCAR or the NHRA so it's not just the old guy's who are loosing interest!
It all starts with putting on a better show for the fans and that is true no matter what sport you follow.

Jim Hill
www.nostalgicracingdecals.com

the original?

Comedian Norm Macdonald has a conspiracy theory about "new coke". He claims the whole thing was setup by Coke to move production of the original formula from real sugar to high fructose corn syrup, they never had any intention of producing "new coke" long term.

And the health of one definitely counts on the health of the other.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back