My opinion of why the 1000' rule isn't the answer (1 Viewer)

Nitromater.com... where everyone has all the answers.

HEY TONY!!!
Dont YOU agree still a great show...without trashin' the wallet???...less oil downs....never mind the lack of carnage...(easier on the crews!!!)...everybody has an opinion...but I think that right now...the only opinions that matter are finally the guys strapped in and working on the thing!!!
Whats your take!!? (with respect!)
:)

PS-you know...what teams want to go back to 1320???????????????:p

Last edited:
Lets not forget, before that round, they discovered the chassis was bent in front of the footbox, and on TV they showed them back in the pits doing everything they could to get it back straight. My opinion was always that the car went to the line damaged goods.

Last edited:
Lets not forget, before that round, they discovered the chassis was bent in front of the footbox, and on TV they showed them back in the pits doing everything they could to get it back straight. My opinion was always that the car went to the line damaged goods.

Dick LaHaie dont send crap down the track. period.

I never said he would send "crap" down the track. I just said they had a damaged car the round before, and it broke in the final, and I think the 2 things are related. I can have my opinion. :rolleyes:

Even so.. Doug Herbert went about 5 feet and sent parts into the stands and part of a blower rotor OVER the stands which landed in front of Tom Hoovers trailer. :eek: We better cut the track legenth back to 3 feet. :eek:

Sh*t is going to happen no matter if the track is 1000' or 2000'.

The 1000' rule had nothing to do with cars breaking in half, or crashing during the course of a run. It has mostly to do with lowering the top speeds, and giving the cars more room to stop, and it has done both.

Last edited:
Karl, I hate to correct you but Kelly Brown was drivin Lou Baney's AA/FD when the car lurched forward and injured Baney

It looks as though the Shorter NHRA track getting praise
1,000-foot track has had many benefits... by Steve Ballard in the IndyStar

Here's a quote for you drag racing "traditionalists"

Drag racing veteran Jim Head has little patience for those who suggest that by running its races at less than a quarter mile the NHRA is flaunting tradition.

"Open-casket funerals are tradition, too," Head said. "And I'm sick of 'em."

Last edited:
I am not going to argue about the 1000' vs. the 1320'...
but has anyone noted that the tire in question would have flung off at 1320' just as easily as at 1000', therefore, neither makes any difference in this case?

(If the OP is saying the same thing, then I am siding with you. The answer in this case would be something to keep the tire/wheel from being able to fling off...but then there's that whole risk thing to do with racing).

DLB

my .02 (even though some here seem to think some of us are worthy of having an opinion)

I prefer 5.* sec, 270MPH, 1320 foot drag to 3.*, second, 300MPH, 1000 foot drag racing

and again IMHO, the reason we're not seeing the part breakage in the 1000' racing isn't some magic power that keeps the engine together the 1000' mark...it's the Glendora mandated rev limiter that hits before they get to 1320' that's killing the engines...slow 'em down in a more technically responsible fashion and you'll get rid of the 1100' grenades...

there are a lot of good ways to sharply reduce the risk of "open casket funeral", and I personally think that shortening the race length isn't a very good long term solution ('cause once they decide 1000' is the only safe way to race how long will it be before they decide 660' is safer than 1000'???)

Not if Arlo Langely is there.

Holy SH!T!!
spit.gif

That is soooo wrong and soooo funny all at the same time!

Ok, I'm brand new here so forgive me is this has been hashed to death. I'm not trying to stir the pot. Checkout out Larry Dixon's left rear tire in this video at 3:15. This is why the 1000' rule isn't the answer to preventing injuries.

YouTube - Drag Racing Crashes

Pretty amazing...that thing almost went into orbit!

Michael, I saw a Youtube video that followed that Tire that Came off Larry's car! That Tire went about 300' in the air, and bounced twice in the Pits and it Looked(?) like it some an Motorhome or something! That could've killed somebody real easy!

I’ve been doing some dinking around on the internet looking up breaking distance calculators and stuff… I’ve looked at a few different sites, and both seem to give me roughly the same numbers. one of the two layed out the numbers more clearly, and here is what I came up with. A normal car brakes at roughly -0.9g’s. At -0.9g’s at 340 mph it would take 4,543 feet to stop with a half a second to react after passing the finish line. Now, we all know that these cars stop A LOT harder then a normal passenger car. So I doubled the amount of g’s to 1.8g’s, which is being pretty generous because we know they can stop harder then that even. At 1.8g's it would take 2,396 feet to stop with the half second of reaction time once they pass the finish line. It seems to me that damn near all of the tracks have enough shutdown according to physics.

What needs to be addressed is how to handle a runaway car, not the lenght of the shut down or the racing surface…

plug in some numbers for your self and see what you all come up with.
Braking Distance Calculator | Excel Templates

Last edited:
From one who has been highly critical of nhra's decisions and choices the past few years, I must say they made the right call this time.

This one move: lowered speeds - less carnage - kept tracks from becomming obsolete. And does these things with NO cost to the teams and very little cost to tracks. (A WIN-WIN)

After seeing it in person, I say GREAT. It still looked the same, sounded the same, only difference was the numbers. And we'll get used to them. Trust me.

No idea what they will run in 2009, but if they stay 1,000' it fine with me.

Its simple, You can't put a 2008 nitro car on a 1958 dragstrip. The tracks need to keep up with the performance of todays cars.

It looks as though the Shorter NHRA track getting praise
1,000-foot track has had many benefits... by Steve Ballard in the IndyStar

Here's a quote for you drag racing "traditionalists"

Drag racing veteran Jim Head has little patience for those who suggest that by running its races at less than a quarter mile the NHRA is flaunting tradition.

"Open-casket funerals are tradition, too," Head said. "And I'm sick of 'em."

Agree with everything in the article.

I really do not care to rain on anyones parade.

If 1000' is here to stay, I think its the smartest move NHRA has made in a long time.

Carnage is WAYYYYYYYYYY down.

Ya' still get the occasional incident.

Ya' will even at 100'.

Antron Brown is a cool cat and everything, but 330 not being different than 300?

Great guy, no physicist.:rolleyes:

REX

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back