My opinion of why the 1000' rule isn't the answer (1 Viewer)

737pilot

Nitro Member
Ok, I'm brand new here so forgive me is this has been hashed to death. I'm not trying to stir the pot. Checkout out Larry Dixon's left rear tire in this video at 3:15. This is why the 1000' rule isn't the answer to preventing injuries.

YouTube - Drag Racing Crashes

Pretty amazing...that thing almost went into orbit!

What point are you attempting to make Michael?

Racing is dangerous and it always will be.

LIFE is dangerous and it always will be.

Bill,

Nice reply, thanks. I think my point is clear with the distance that tire flew and it's potential to kill. I'm quite aware that racing and life are both dangerous, but thanks.

How can anyone say that 1000' racing is NOT safer than 1320'? :rolleyes:

Just the simple fact that the speeds are slower and there is 320 more feet of shut down makes it safer. Not to mention the engines are under less stress, therefore explosions are fewer. It may not be your cup of tea, but to say it's NOT safer is a far fetch.

Just the simple fact that the speeds are slower and there is 320 more feet of shut down makes it safer. Not to mention the engines are under less stress, therefore explosions are fewer. It may not be your cup of tea, but to say it's NOT safer is a far fetch.

The speeds aren't that much slower. The main difference is the distance for brake/shut down time, but the speeds haven't changed enough.
I haven't really decided how I feel about the 1000' yet, but if you have been reading previous posts, many people feel the safety answer lies in slowing the cars down. The 1000' hasn't done that significantly enough.

That crash of Dixon's in that video happend BEFORE the 1000' mark. Also, it had nothing to do with the engine as well. And, that tire went way more than 320'

If you truely want safety, DO NOT DRIVE to the track. You have a much great chance of being killed on the way to the track, than a driver at the track. Better yet, cancel all racing as it is dangerous!

This 1000' mark stuff is like my sister in law who covers herself while in the sun to avoid getting skin cancer, yet lights up a cigarette.

Watch that video again and watch how much stuff goes on BEFORE the 1000' mark.

Michael, allow me to apologize for my initial response. I misinterpreted your message. I read it to mean that they need to add wheel tethers and all sorts of other stuff so these cars will be SAFE, which we agree can never happen due to pure life itself.

Again, sorry 'bout that. No more Monster drinks for me!

Bill, no problem, my point is basically that so much happens before the 1000' mark. That's all I am trying to say. Going to 1000' doesn't prevent the stuff that heppens before 1000'. That's all.

I too agree that 1000' racing isn't the answer.

BUT, 1000' racing is safer based on the fact that cars aren't reaching the speeds that they were. However, based on that, 1/8 racing is safer again and 60' racing is one step again.

How many runaway car accidents have we seen in the last 10 years? Very few. I don't think that 330mph is too fast, but they don't really need to go any faster.

One death is one too many, but racing is dangerous by nature and we need to accept that. Even the best laid out plans and safety precautions are never going to be enough to stop another fatal accident, these things happen.

Just like wrecks on the interstate, we can not stop crashes, we can only better prepare for them.

But at the end of the day, this is just my opinion, and I am Nobody... with a capital N.

That crash of Dixon's in that video happend BEFORE the 1000' mark. Also, it had nothing to do with the engine as well. And, that tire went way more than 320'

If you truely want safety, DO NOT DRIVE to the track. You have a much great chance of being killed on the way to the track, than a driver at the track. Better yet, cancel all racing as it is dangerous!

This 1000' mark stuff is like my sister in law who covers herself while in the sun to avoid getting skin cancer, yet lights up a cigarette.

Watch that video again and watch how much stuff goes on BEFORE the 1000' mark.

Mike,
Lets start by saying that video has been posted more times than I'd like to think.

I was in the Hot Car pits at The County when Larry blew the the clutch out of his semi streamliner entering the traps... I've seen some really strange and scary things happen on the fire up road... I've seen cars chop down the tree. I've seen cars flip over backwards at the launch. I watched Sush stuff a couple of Papa Joe's cars into the wall at less than half track, both the corvair and the camaro that replaced it... I also saw Bob Pickett fly his Javelin in the lights, I watched 'The Don' slide his 68? cuda sideways in the lights in his own oil. I watched Snake drive over Lou Baney after a burn out...
I've seen more than my share of Tranny fires and more than one rear end kicked out of the car at launch.

I also remember when the traps were shortened to just 66 feet before the finish line because too many guys were getting oil baths or worst 'driving it out the back door'... 39 years ago in September, we lost Zoo, from burns he suffered at Indy at around 1/2 track... the day after he set the world on it's ears running a 6.43.

Everything I just typed was from when AA/FD's as a whole were running 6.6 and Floppers were high to mid 7's....

Is your point that cars are just as safe at 1320 feet as they are at 1000? Nitro Cars are running to a 1000 feet in just about half the time they used to run a whole 1320... which is more ludicrous, 230 @1320 or 315@1000?

The D'jenn is out of the bottle, and we'll never get him/her back in... what this sport is really about, given a set of rules and a given distance, my car is better than yours... oh, and the important part was who set 'Top Time' (fastest), not who set low et... running a big speed got you as much 'ink' as winning an event... it was about who was first to 150, 160, 180, 190, 200...

as far as cars running it out to 1320 still, it just seems that way, no one drops the laundry or gets on the binders before the stripe... and a half second seems like a late chute... but it beats the half second 320 feet later.

d'kid
unsafe at any speed

You probably have a better chance of being hit in the head by the ball at a baseball game then a flying part at a drag race .

The speeds aren't that much slower. The main difference is the distance for brake/shut down time, but the speeds haven't changed enough.
I haven't really decided how I feel about the 1000' yet, but if you have been reading previous posts, many people feel the safety answer lies in slowing the cars down. The 1000' hasn't done that significantly enough.

Hey Lori...Haven't decided yet....ask Austin, Alan, et al....THE motors arent eating themselves up in the last 320....rev-limiters killed 'em for the last few feet.....
I luv the fact few to no oildowns, fast show, cars still awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!
Still fast cars...longer stopping distance...less carnage.....
IT IS HERE FOREVER..................WE gotta get used to it!!!!!!!!!!!:)

So many rules, so many traditions, so many....... OK, so in your opinion the 1000' rule isn't the answer. You use one incident where something bad happened before the 1,000' mark. I can name another dozen. One spectacular blast happen right on the starting line when the Snap-on top fueler of Doug Herbert exploded. Indeed a 1,000 rule would not have helped one bit.

But, there have been several incidents of late that occurred that were fatal beyond the 1,000' mark. Would the 1,000 rule have helped? Who can say for certain except those who have actually seen the data and footage close up.

One thing is for certain, it doesn't take an engineer or rocket scientist to figure out that another 300'+ will add safe distance to bring a car to a stop especially on a short track. When someone like Jim Head, Dale Armstrong or "Big" says things get hairy after 1,000 foot, I'd believe it.

See the post above for more good reasons to have the 1,000' rule in place.

Many people are working on a solution. Perhaps instead of beating a subject to death with more "I told you so's", you could contribute a suggestion to helping solve the delimma we are experiencing in Top Fuel and Funny Car.

I'm just a small time foot brake racer. My opinion is, I'm tired of seeing people die. If the 1,000 foot mark would help save a life and not break everyone's bank, I'm all for it.

It may not be the answer at the tracks with adequate or superior shutoff areas,but I think it IS the answer for tracks that cannot comply with whatever standards are established for a safe stopping distance. IHRA already said they are thinking about have multiple distance events next year (660,1000,1320)

Off the 1000 foot deal, but speaking on the tires on a top fuel deal ---

How many times has a tire blown on those cars which in turn has thrown tire shreads into the wing, which in turn threw the car out of control (didn't that contribute to Blaine Johnson's deal 1996 -I could be mistaken-) Since it seems that that wing is such a critical part to the stability of those cars at speed (see Eddie Hill 1997 or Tony Schumacher Memphis 2000) how come they haven't come up with some sort of wheel well or wing protection (other then the parachute tether)

Michael:

Good post. I agree that 1,000' is not the answer. The suits need to grow a set and make some changes.

Hey Lori...Haven't decided yet....ask Austin, Alan, et al....THE motors arent eating themselves up in the last 320....rev-limiters killed 'em for the last few feet.....
I luv the fact few to no oildowns, fast show, cars still awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!
Still fast cars...longer stopping distance...less carnage.....
IT IS HERE FOREVER..................WE gotta get used to it!!!!!!!!!!!:)

I have heard the crew chiefs comment right after this rule was imposed that all that last 320 does eat up the motors. I just was saying that the reason for this rule is to assist with more braking distance. That is a good option for now. Whether it is forever or not, I have no idea. It doens't matter cause it is out of my control.
I agree, the cars are still fast and it hasn't bothered me to see it on TV. I will know for sure when I see it live.
If it is here forever, that is fine with me. I will always watch it and go to the races. The distance doesn't bother me that much. I have kids that have done the Jr racing, and I have spent over 10 yrs watching the 1/8 mile racing.
It's all good to me.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back