Music needs to go (1 Viewer)

I can put up with the announcers but the constant and overpowering background music was too much....just like those videos on YT that cover up race cars and high-performance aircraft with blaring heavy metal. I guess that's something new for 2021 but the Gainesville coverage needs to be the start and the end of it. 10-4 on the green/white times and speeds....I have to pause the video, walk over to about 3-4 feet from the screen just to see what it says. For some reason, when the opponent in the other lane either bulbed or broke, the RT/ET/speed of the winner was displayed with a black background and you could read it 100 feet away. Seems like a simple enough issue to fix, no?

So how about all of us writing NHRA and suggesting that Fox Sports ditch these two annoying features?

also, when introducing show and coming into and exiting commercials, there were swamp scenes shown, and a lot of alligators, one with closeup of open mouth. really?
um, there are drones, that can fly above facility and give tv viewers a birds eye view; get an idea of size of event........this was the norm back in 1980's nhra coverage with
helicopters. not sure what happened.
Those gators have been living in those ponds at the end of the track for years. I had actually thought maybe something happened to them because the last couple of times I drove the golf cart back there they were not anywhere around...or maybe they were hiding looking at me thinking about an all you can eat buffet. ;)

I can put up with the announcers but the constant and overpowering background music was too much....just like those videos on YT that cover up race cars and high-performance aircraft with blaring heavy metal. I guess that's something new for 2021 but the Gainesville coverage needs to be the start and the end of it. 10-4 on the green/white times and speeds....I have to pause the video, walk over to about 3-4 feet from the screen just to see what it says. For some reason, when the opponent in the other lane either bulbed or broke, the RT/ET/speed of the winner was displayed with a black background and you could read it 100 feet away. Seems like a simple enough issue to fix, no?

So how about all of us writing NHRA and suggesting that Fox Sports ditch these two annoying features?
NHRA has never listened to or acknowledged customer query or complaints about broadcasting, either Fox or NHRA.TV.

A first for me went down on Friday, I had very high hopes that the sound of the cars would be good, nope, el wrongo, I just got ticked at the ultra muffled sound and turned off NHRA.tv, a first.

As an announcer myself, I get when you should talk and when to let the cars do the speaking. I did enjoy Sundays coverage but I too highly dislike the music but that may be due to my age....maybe,lol.

I still am grateful for the coverage we get, but the cars should do the yappin' more.

TopFuel@Lions
Talladega Short Track Announcer

I didn't watch it live, but same day. I was shocked that the sound went away on my coverage at about the 1:23:20 mark after a commercial break. The sounds of the cars was there, the rock music intro too.....but there was no voices or interviews (except closed captioning allowed me to see what they were saying) in the soundtrack. Just the glorious sounds of the strip. The crowd, the cars, the blowers whining, the parachutes blossoming, the brake pads scraping....all those sounds were coming through loud and clear. But When Bruno talked about Leah's Challenger.....nope, nothing at all but silence. As soon as that segment ended the strip sounds came back. The normal soundtrack came back by 1:47:23, when Tasca beat Capps. Brian Lohnes voice came on at the end of that run.
And guess what? I could figure out what was happening without anyone telling me....and it kept my eyes on the screen (saw some advertising by accident) because no one was telling me the action.

Maybe we should invite Marcus Lemonis onto this site so he can hear our feedback......

I agree with much of what has been said previously.
The cars speak for themselves.
The fans want to learn more about the people who drive them.

What I think could be beneficial is to interview the 'average joes' who work on the cars between rounds and on the starting line. Many different types of people 'feed' the sport. Fans, drivers, sponsors, but the often untapped market is those who wouldn't mind turning wrenches behind the scenes. Seeing people 'like them' that are working on these cars and hearing their paths to getting there and or their experiences might be a nice way to introduce a new group of people to the sport. Just my $0.02.

It's great to have drag racing back. Although many of my favs went down being tardy. Ugh.

How about a feature on the starter? Describe what his (or her) function is, what they look for on the starting line before the race and prior to activation of the tree, the function of the tree and the importance of what they do in getting a clean and fair race accomplished. Not sure I've ever seen a piece on this.

I agree with much of what has been said previously.
The cars speak for themselves.
The fans want to learn more about the people who drive them.

What I think could be beneficial is to interview the 'average joes' who work on the cars between rounds and on the starting line. Many different types of people 'feed' the sport. Fans, drivers, sponsors, but the often untapped market is those who wouldn't mind turning wrenches behind the scenes. Seeing people 'like them' that are working on these cars and hearing their paths to getting there and or their experiences might be a nice way to introduce a new group of people to the sport. Just my $0.02.

It's great to have drag racing back. Although many of my favs went down being tardy. Ugh.
I like that idea, i would like to see that two

That’s all well and good with interviewing behind-the-scene folks. It’s a good idea.
Just don’t do it while the cars are running.

Been real busy and just had a chance to sit down and watch the qualifying show from Friday.
I gave it a chance... and I lasted just 17 minutes. What a giant leap backwards in quality. I have a headache now, and going to take some advil... that music is effing horrible. The sound mixing is not very good either.
I sure hope someone involved in the production of this show is watching this. Please reconsider the path you are taking.
And try sitting down with some headphones and listen to your product.

Angelle has a bike that can win it all. You know they will get better. Tough loss with a .15 light. That doesn't happen often. I try to wait an hour to start watching from the start and skip through a lot of the BS. On a 3 hour broadcast I usually finish close to real time.
Just wait until they get a 25lb penalty

anyone else notice how no other suzukis ever ran 200, even though other teams were running v&h suzukis, but now at first race after HD the v&h suzuki runs 200+?

Last edited:
It likely doesn't have a thing to do with whether "Lohnes thinks...." or "Pedregon think they need to talk until the light's green". 99% chance it's the NETWORK telling them not to have dead air time on a Live broadcast. So they do their best to do as they're told so they have a job next week.

The news need to go online & learn it themselves? LMFAO! That's hilarious. People won't even go to Google when they're already online and engaging in conversation or replying to someone or something. Why in earth would you ever believe they would search for something online that they see on TV when they don't even search online for stuff they see online? Lol!

For example, just look how many people would rather get on a forum or social media and ask a question, then wait a week or more for an answer when they could, instead, take 60 seconds to type the question in Google and get the answer themselves. Instead, someone else types it into Google and gets the answer, then copies and pastes it into the conversation. It's almost unbelievable how often it happens.

Last edited:
It’s not dead air when two cars, especially nitro cars, are running.
If the networks want blabbermouths, put them on the starting line, right behind the starter. Let them blab all they want, we will hear them when the cars are done. Like when you are there and Alan gets drowned out by the cars on the p.a.

It’s my guess from the cheap seats is that the colleges professors that teach sound mixing and broadcasting skills are a large part of the problem with getting the mix of sounds and words right for a highly entertaining show. As a former teacher (many, many years ago) I observed that many if not most professors are so full of themselves they think everything revolves around their area of expertise. What may sound impressive in a classroom or mixing booth to new and young students doesn’t necessarily relate to people wanting to know the facts and feeling of being at a national event. Therefore their former students think this is required to show they are "experts". I don't want the dog and pony show... I just want the facts, visuals and sounds given in a quality method reflecting what I would hear and see if I was at the track. (Yes... some track announcers drone on forever too... Thanks Alan for not being "that guy".)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back