Music needs to go (1 Viewer)

Jer

Nitro Member
Whats with all the music in the background with qualifying,when are these idiots that produce these shows are going to realize we want to hear cars,not announcers like hearing themselves talk and now background music, what happened to sounds of the strip,that was great!

I just tried watching the qualifying show currently airing on FS1, and had to turn it off. Between the music, and the Lohnes/Pedregon contest to see who can talk more, the show is unwatchable.
Hopefully, the eliminations show about to come on FOX will be better. But, I'm recording it so I can advance past all the talking and just watch the racing.
Granted, it is the first broadcast of the season. We can only hope the product gets better as the season progresses.

Imagine going to a concert by your favorite band, you've waited a long time, finally the day comes, the lights go down the band starts playing (sounds amazing), five minutes into the show, the volume is lowered dramatically and Alan, Brian and Tony start blabbing away about how exciting the performance is...
Wally once said the cars are the stars, since then we have seen that in addition to that, other things are important as well. Things like developing personalities of the stars, behind the scenes happenings, even the politics of the sport. Nowhere did we see that the information givers should be stars above everything else.
A few days ago I sent an email to NHRA.TV asking if car audio issues were resolved for 2021. I received a response(!!) stating that, yes all issues are resolved, "check BabyGator coverage to see for yourself" I did so, A/fueler does a burnout @ soft volume, goes silent, more soft volume @ launch..... superstar announcer blabbing @ volume MUCH louder than car thruout the entire ordeal.
Our sport has such incredible audio that if broadcasting had a clue they could put Drag Racing into another dimension of sports coverage. The technology is there, is affordable, is just begging to be implemented. What is lacking is vision from the producer. As I have said before Dean Papadeaus figured it out in the '80's, nobody since has a clue.
NHRA stance is that Drag Racing cannot be presented properly on TV because of technology limitations, I believe Drag Racing is the ultimate sport for TV coverage with current and forthcoming technology in both audio and video.

Imagine going to a concert by your favorite band, you've waited a long time, finally the day comes, the lights go down the band starts playing (sounds amazing), five minutes into the show, the volume is lowered dramatically and Alan, Brian and Tony start blabbing away about how exciting the performance is...
Wally once said the cars are the stars, since then we have seen that in addition to that, other things are important as well. Things like developing personalities of the stars, behind the scenes happenings, even the politics of the sport. Nowhere did we see that the information givers should be stars above everything else.
A few days ago I sent an email to NHRA.TV asking if car audio issues were resolved for 2021. I received a response(!!) stating that, yes all issues are resolved, "check BabyGator coverage to see for yourself" I did so, A/fueler does a burnout @ soft volume, goes silent, more soft volume @ launch..... superstar announcer blabbing @ volume MUCH louder than car thruout the entire ordeal.
Our sport has such incredible audio that if broadcasting had a clue they could put Drag Racing into another dimension of sports coverage. The technology is there, is affordable, is just begging to be implemented. What is lacking is vision from the producer. As I have said before Dean Papadeaus figured it out in the '80's, nobody since has a clue.
NHRA stance is that Drag Racing cannot be presented properly on TV because of technology limitations, I believe Drag Racing is the ultimate sport for TV coverage with current and forthcoming technology in both audio and video.

i don't think today's coverage was too bad. i just discoverd (again) how much i dislike 1000ft racing. i thought i was over that but watching the other classes go a full quarter brought it all back. guess i ll have to watch the aussie's racing.

i don't think today's coverage was too bad. i just discoverd (again) how much i dislike 1000ft racing. i thought i was over that but watching the other classes go a full quarter brought it all back. guess i ll have to watch the aussie's racing.
Was ok,way to much music for the highlights. Bring sounds of the strip back

the 3 hr. show on FOX network today is a great format. some of the filler stuff could be improved on. more driver interviews imo.
i think the fans want to get to know who these women and men are who drive and ride these amazing machines.
lohnes should not say 'the crowd is going wild' then pan to crowd doing absolutely nothing. what crowd is brian looking at?
a zamboni does not lay down a sheet of ice, it shaves the ice and puts water down. not that anyone should be a zamboni expert, so please don't try......just tell us what the tractor does.
one day nhra will wake up and notice that amanda busik has accepted another job offer........please, show two people talking. she is interviewing the drivers. she was practically invisible today. bad move.
she is very talented. please use her for more than just the top end interviews. i'd even suggest putting her in booth; yes, as a replacement.
did not see an interview with marcus lemonis? (who was supposedly there today?).....nor did i see camping world livery on any pro team?...... m.l. should take a good look at josh hart operation.
comedy relief by jeg jr. hitting the curb in shutdown area :rolleyes:
eddy and andrew on line watching angel w/solo v&h effort. you just can't make this stuff up. she's on a mission ;)

the 3 hr. show on FOX network today is a great format. some of the filler stuff could be improved on. more driver interviews imo.
i think the fans want to get to know who these women and men are who drive and ride these amazing machines.
lohnes should not say 'the crowd is going wild' then pan to crowd doing absolutely nothing. what crowd is brian looking at?
a zamboni does not lay down a sheet of ice, it shaves the ice and puts water down. not that anyone should be a zamboni expert, so please don't try......just tell us what the tractor does.
one day nhra will wake up and notice that amanda busik has accepted another job offer........please, show two people talking. she is interviewing the drivers. she was practically invisible today. bad move.
she is very talented. please use her for more than just the top end interviews. i'd even suggest putting her in booth; yes, as a replacement.
did not see an interview with marcus lemonis? (who was supposedly there today?).....nor did i see camping world livery on any pro team?...... m.l. should take a good look at josh hart operation.
comedy relief by jeg jr. hitting the curb in shutdown area :rolleyes:
eddy and andrew on line watching angel w/solo v&h effort. you just can't make this stuff up. she's on a mission ;)
Angelle has a bike that can win it all. You know they will get better. Tough loss with a .15 light. That doesn't happen often. I try to wait an hour to start watching from the start and skip through a lot of the BS. On a 3 hour broadcast I usually finish close to real time.

I figured out why drag racing has been so blah lately...the cars used to line up, the announcer would say who is going against who, and then excitement would build as you had no idea what was going to happen. Now, the announcing has completely filled every second and the excitement is gone. As I type this, TPed is yapping about the heat and how it affects the cars. I know all about that, I have been a fan for over 42 years and learned about my favorite sport by researching it for myself. Stop trying to announcer-splain everything to the newbys.....they need to go on the web and learn it for themselves.

I have a VHS tape of a 1980's Pocono NASCAR race that was taped off of a pay per view channel....the lack of gab (and ticker tape info on the screen) is not just refreshing, but shocking

What he said!

Also, am I the only one that struggles to read the winning numbers (white) in fluorescent green boxes (graphics)?
This! I have no idea what the ET or reaction times are with this color combo!

I figured out why drag racing has been so blah lately...the cars used to line up, the announcer would say who is going against who, and then excitement would build as you had no idea what was going to happen. Now, the announcing has completely filled every second and the excitement is gone. As I type this, TPed is yapping about the heat and how it affects the cars. I know all about that, I have been a fan for over 42 years and learned about my favorite sport by researching it for myself. Stop trying to announcer-splain everything to the newbys.....they need to go on the web and learn it for themselves.

I have a VHS tape of a 1980's Pocono NASCAR race that was taped off of a pay per view channel....the lack of gab (and ticker tape info on the screen) is not just refreshing, but shocking
When is the last time you watched a Baseball game that the announcer nonstop explained the purpose of the ball and the bat, gave explanation of how many bases there are and just continued to blab unneeded information, like our guys do?

Terrible idea putting awful phony hair band music over race coverage. Fail.

Lohnes and Co. need to be extricated from their echo chamber and produce a show that genuinely captures the excitement of a national event. NHRA.TV is vastly better. Alan and WFO Joe have a much better grasp on how to comment on the event.

I liked the motorhome race/giveaway. A great day at the drags has a nice blend of the awe inspiring/terrifying and absurd/comical.

Last edited:
also, when introducing show and coming into and exiting commercials, there were swamp scenes shown, and a lot of alligators, one with closeup of open mouth. really?
um, there are drones, that can fly above facility and give tv viewers a birds eye view; get an idea of size of event........this was the norm back in 1980's nhra coverage with
helicopters. not sure what happened.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back