Mountain Motor Pro Stock Exhibition Passes at Indy (1 Viewer)

also consider that when bo won it all last year, he pocketed the money, not KB racing. KB kinda' shot themselves in their own foot so to speak by bringing in
another car, then providing said car with power equal to or possibly better than the KB cars. i don't see bo in the #1 position this year, do you?.....you can play fair,
be a gentleman, do all the rite stuff, but sooner or later it comes down to the dollar.........and the gray kid. see ya'

also consider that when bo won it all last year, he pocketed the money, not KB racing. KB kinda' shot themselves in their own foot so to speak by bringing in
another car, then providing said car with power equal to or possibly better than the KB cars. i don't see bo in the #1 position this year, do you?.....you can play fair,
be a gentleman, do all the rite stuff, but sooner or later it comes down to the dollar.........and the gray kid. see ya'

Except that he gave the check to Ken Black. Other than that, your theory sounds good......:eek::eek::eek:
LoL

Alan

if the price to lease a competitive pro stock engine is what it is reported to be (45K/race) than winning races or a championship for the team providing the motor should be a secondary consideration!!. remember when Allen Johnson leased a car to Jeg a few years ago. i bet AJ made 4 or 5 times the cash leasing the car versus wining the championship himself

Why are there no heroes like Grumpy, Glidden, Dyno Don or Sox & Martin anymore?
Hired drivers and leased engines.....

Would Big Daddy Swamp Rat be the hero he is with a leased ride? Do we remember Snake and Mongoose because they got the funding to just drive someone else's dragsters and sign autographs all day?

Why are there no heroes like Grumpy, Glidden, Dyno Don or Sox & Martin anymore?
Hired drivers and leased engines.....

A big part of it is that one guy can't do it all anymore. If you figure five days per race X 24 races, that is 120 days that you are not in the shop working on projects. Plus there's the fact that if you try to do three things, you will most likely not be as good at any of them as a guy who specializes in just one.

Alan

and the gray kid. see ya'

The Gray family is a HUGE part of NHRA drag racing. Where would Funny Car be without Terry Chandler's generosity? Where would Pro Stock be without the Grays and their engine shop? I hope we don't have to find out any time soon.

I always thought it was Bo's car and he is renting engines?

The Gray family is a HUGE part of NHRA drag racing. Where would Funny Car be without Terry Chandler's generosity? Where would Pro Stock be without the Grays and their engine shop? I hope we don't have to find out any time soon.

Tanner is going to NASCAR and Gray has sold their operation............you heard it here first

The car counts may need help again next year, the Agent over at DRO says Tanner may be going to NASCAR Truck, and Butner and Skillman may be done as well. Also, I think I read somewhere that McGaha is going back to a part time schedule for '19. The article also stated that the going rate to lease an engine is $45K/race. I wonder if that number is accurate.
We’re did you hear tanner might go nascar truck racing!??!

It is VERY expensive to run Pro Stock out of a used car dealership in Floyds Knob, Indiana. I am somewhat surprised he has lasted as long as he has. I would suppose that is because of the success he has had with the KB racing group, he has won a lot of races and a championship ... that has certainly had to help offset his expenses and keep him around. I don't know if we will see him Pro Mod or not, I don't think it is cheaper on a per race basis than Pro Stock, and I don't know that he will be able to go right in with the best team the way he has with Pro Stock.

Also, there is the health issue to consider. It was just a couple of months ago Bo had a stroke.

I think he had DVT rather than a stroke.

You also might want to do a little homework on the economics of a used car lot .... you might be surprised to figure out how quickly a fairly small operation selling pretty low end cars (say $7500 each) can turn a $500k profit. I've got a buddy that owns one in Cut 'n Shoot, Texas (red writer knows right where that is because he used to work just down the street) that does very well. Remember Floyd's Knob is aka Louisville, Kentucky. I'm guessing Mr Utner smokes that number by an X factor.

Last edited:
Last edited:
We’re did you hear tanner might go nascar truck racing!??!

Heard from one guy that they've already sold their PS operation. This guy has integrity so no reason not to believe him. It wouldn't surprise me. Considering Tanners car is numbered up like a NASCAR, it sure seems like that's where he wants to be, IMO. AFAIK, he was fairly successful at round track racing before coming to NHRA.

It looks like the PDRA Mountain Motor Pros drivers were paying attention to the exhibition in Indy. In 4 of the 5 races this year, the PDRA has fielded less than 11 cars in Pro Stock. This weekend at GALOT, 16 cars on the premises.

I think he had DVT rather than a stroke.

You also might want to do a little homework on the economics of a used car lot .... you might be surprised to figure out how quickly a fairly small operation selling pretty low end cars (say $7500 each) can turn a $500k profit. I've got a buddy that owns one in Cut 'n Shoot, Texas (red writer knows right where that is because he used to work just down the street) that does very well. Remember Floyd's Knob is aka Louisville, Kentucky. I'm guessing Mr Utner smokes that number by an X factor.

I had a customer that went from a small used car lot to high end used cars in a couple of years due to a lease program for them....plus the cars just got more and more expensive and lasted longer so they were worth more just off of lease. He went from small time car collector to regular contestant at Pebble Beach in the same amount of time.

I can't remember who (Alan will), but one PS owner/ driver was a glass guy. He fielded a top PS car on a window installing business.
When asked what kind of jobs, he said one they did was the Luxor pyramid in Vegas ..........

I had a customer that went from a small used car lot to high end used cars in a couple of years due to a lease program for them....plus the cars just got more and more expensive and lasted longer so they were worth more just off of lease. He went from small time car collector to regular contestant at Pebble Beach in the same amount of time.

I can't remember who (Alan will), but one PS owner/ driver was a glass guy. He fielded a top PS car on a window installing business.
When asked what kind of jobs, he said one they did was the Luxor pyramid in Vegas ..........
George Marnell?

Jerry Haas had a car at the Motorplex yesterday. It ran 6.53 @215! Alan Rienhart could probably lend some more specifics?

It was Brad Waddle driving. He used to run Comp in division 5 years back. I thought it was odd to have one single car make a test pass. Not something that NHRA would do in the middle of their show. It made me wonder if they were potentially testing a different type of combination trying to bring the two types of cars closer together.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back