Mountain Motor Pro Stock Exhibition Passes at Indy (1 Viewer)

I would consider it like this

You invite me over to play a game, I am winning, you kick me in the nuts, will I ever forget that ? Nope.

Or.....you invite me over and you win all the time because you're cheating but I can't say anything because its your house.

I would consider it like this

You invite me over to play a game, I am winning, you kick me in the nuts, will I ever forget that ? Nope.

So 36 years ago NHRA said, this isn't right, let's fix it. And make the field level for everybody who wants to compete. What would you have them do now so that you can get passed this?

Alan

How about letting mopar and ford run there latest designs and not require them to build old style center cam motors, don’t think NHRA would let anyone build a 500 inch twin overhead cam ford motor at any weight.now tell me NHRA is not stacking the deck for GM

Personally I will never forget it, right now it is what it is, MOPAR and Ford have no interest in PS. If NHRA would of stayed out of factoring, the HEMI would of naturally went away because of the design. How do you fix it? Wish I new. Personally I would like to see cars that look like factory cars, like Factory Stock.
MOPAR was always competitive, there were just twice as many GM's so statistically GM won more, didn't hurt my feelings at all.
Now when NHRA changes the rules and a GM guy comes out and says this change, RPM limit, just killed the MOPARs yes something is wrong.
Was it done intentionally ? doubtful. Now you have 3 "owners" supplying engines to basically the entire field of 15 cars.......and McGaha.
If NHRA brings in MM cars and adds weight the process starts all over again.

How about letting mopar and ford run there latest designs and not require them to build old style center cam motors, don’t think NHRA would let anyone build a 500 inch twin overhead cam ford motor at any weight.now tell me NHRA is not stacking the deck for GM

Mark,
GM is now on the 4th generation of the DRCE, the only major change MOPAR has had was almost 20 years ago when the did what was known as the HEMI 99 It has seem some mild refinement, but it's basically a 20 year old design. The latest Ford engine was a near copy of the HEMI and I don't believe it is in production any longer. That's not NHRA chasing them out, that's then quitting. Chris MaGaha says the RPM limit hurt the HEMI the most, and Warren Johnson says that with a re-engineered head the HEMI could be the best platform out there. But if MOPAR and Ford don't want to play, it's not because they were forced out.

Alan

I think they've screwed the pooch so badly with PS that nothing can save it, but adding the mountain motor cars might be marginally interesting in that it could inject some new blood. Or not. But either way we already have really fast doorslammers without displacement limitations - Top Sportsman, and with power adders, Pro Mod. Both of those - and FSS to boot - are more interesting to watch. So I really don't know what is the point in trying to save Pro Stock. The days of it representing anything even remotely stock, well, that ship sailed years ago... we've just tolerated the mess it is.

Last edited:
When Dave Koffel came out with the B1 head design, that opened up the possibility for Mopar to race with a non-Hemi motor in PS. Lots of private testing and modifications followed.
In all my Mopar magazines at the time Wayne County started winning, the competition were complaining that the Mopar head design was nothing more than a rearranged GM style. That they had to modify it so much from Mopar or Koffel's design to be competitive against what GM fielded (a pure race motor design, hence the DRCE moniker) was also ridiculed by the others.
As a Mopar fan, this bothered me and I wanted the NHRA to require motors to be as designed by the manufacturer. The Gliddens were running Shotgun Boss 429 style motors 20+ years after they were designed! The Hemi and the Chevy Rat should have stayed too....instead PS ended up with their own versions of Top Fuel motors. That's part of the cost problem. If an old style 500 inch motor couldn't get the speeds past 6.99 / 200mph, so be it. Close racing would still be the result.

So why can't someone design a "new" Ford or Mopar engine for Pro Stock? Who builds the Ford & Mopar engines for mountain motor P/S and for Pro Mod? Why does the factory have to do it?

I'm thinking Kaase built a 500" Ford motor some years ago. Don't remember it doing too well. But his big motors do very well in Pro Stock & Pro Mod.

Of course times are subject to change but it looks like they will make passes at:

Saturday 12:30 (between TF Harley and Pro Mod)
Saturday 6 (after Nitro)
Sunday After Pro Mod both times (2:30 and 6)

So why can't someone design a "new" Ford or Mopar engine for Pro Stock? Who builds the Ford & Mopar engines for mountain motor P/S and for Pro Mod? Why does the factory have to do it?

The factories are the only groups that have the means ($$$) to devote personnel and resources to design, build and perfect completely new engine platforms. Since Pro Stock is such a small niche of all drag racing, there would be probably be a negative ROI on such a venture.

The factories are the only groups that have the means ($$$) to devote personnel and resources to design, build and perfect completely new engine platforms. Since Pro Stock is such a small niche of all drag racing, there would be probably be a negative ROI on such a venture.

want to have a million dollars drag racing???? start with 100 million then go racing

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back