Morgan Lucas says it was a tough decision, but one that had to be made (2 Viewers)

I's funny you say that, Stewart has been there through all of the changes. It seems like they keep him around and run MUCH more talented people off. :rolleyes:
Stewart is a pretty talented crew chief. That car pretty much out performs Morgan's car on a weekly basis. Seriously, there is an issue in Morgan Lucus' team, and changing Crew Chiefs consistantly will not fix the issue.

Just off the top of my head that have gone through there............Richard Hogan, Ron Tobler, Jimmy Walsh, Dickie Venebles. That's quite a list of talent, and a few Championships right there...........

Just off the top of my head that have gone through there............Richard Hogan, Ron Tobler, Jimmy Walsh, Dickie Venebles. That's quite a list of talent, and a few Championships right there...........

Agreed. Something else is going on. They've had the talent to win on a consistent basis.

One point to bring up as I don't think I have seen it yet. When team X hires a crew chief after firing one, does team X expect the new crew chief to run the car with all the componets that the previous CC didn't have success with ?

Like blowers , pistons, cams , injectors, clutches, etc. Throw chassis in there too. If a new CC has a blank check to start off with all that he is used to running and succeeding with , then I would expect results sooner than later.

On the other hand if the new CC has to make due with the parts on hand, it can throw the odds of success further out of reach.

The one thing I seem to notice that works is when the team is directed and tuned by ONE person, not a small committee.

I seem to remember reading an article about the F1 Ferrari team. In the front office entrance to the shop reads a sign,

" This Team is run as a dictatorship, if you are looking for democracy it's not here "

This right here. One Chief and the rest are Indians including the driver (no pun intended towards Mark's deal ;) . And before somebody gets all PC and sandy in spots over the Indian comment I can prove the Indian part on my end.)

There is nothing worse to work under in an operation when there a 5 crew chiefs, and a driver/wannabe crew chief making changes, 3 road managers, 4 asst crew chiefs, 3 PR people, 5 truck drivers, 7 clutch people... Been there and it don't work.

Have watched teams with 7 or 8 people do the work of 14 and whip up on the overstaffed and bigger is better approach.

If there is no chemistry and cohesiveness as a team, then it is simply not a team.

And Stewie can make a car run. Ain't his first rodeo. He can tune a piece of pipe. Dickie will find a place and do well as usual...

This right here. One Chief and the rest are Indians including the driver (no pun intended towards Mark's deal ;) . And before somebody gets all PC and sandy in spots over the Indian comment I can prove the Indian part on my end.)

There is nothing worse to work under in an operation when there a 5 crew chiefs, and a driver/wannabe crew chief making changes, 3 road managers, 4 asst crew chiefs, 3 PR people, 5 truck drivers, 7 clutch people... Been there and it don't work.

Have watched teams with 7 or 8 people do the work of 14 and whip up on the overstaffed and bigger is better approach.

If there is no chemistry and cohesiveness as a team, then it is simply not a team.

And Stewie can make a car run. Ain't his first rodeo. He can tune a piece of pipe. Dickie will find a place and do well as usual...
You are spot on. I can tell this isnt your first rodeo either.:)

maybe parts breakage could be from the oil they are using? :eek: Shoe's teams are doing pretty good with Valvoline. . .:D

As a side note to this thread....i wonder about Bernstein racing. They seem in the same performance tier as Morgan. Kenny has tried many a crew chief there also with similar results. Maybe they should have swapped??? You'd think Morgan would benefit from John's tune up on Shawn's car, but you haven't seen it yet. It's amazing what .05 of a second is worth these days.

As a side note to this thread....i wonder about Bernstein racing. They seem in the same performance tier as Morgan. Kenny has tried many a crew chief there also with similar results. Maybe they should have swapped??? You'd think Morgan would benefit from John's tune up on Shawn's car, but you haven't seen it yet. It's amazing what .05 of a second is worth these days.

Lucas tried a swap back in 2007 when Melanie was driving his second car. She was running great and he wasn't....well they swapped everything but haulers (maybe) and the results.....the same.
I found Morgan's statement that he's the common denominator through all of the crew chief changes was very bold and I commend him for offering up himself as the scapegoat.

Good luck to the team, as they try and rebound.

Lucas should watch a guy like Connie, they are not having the best of seasons (last couple have not been that good) but he sticks with his guys. When they get that Mojo back watch out.

Yeah.. or the flip side is... They haven't been competitive in 5 years and this is an example of the captain going down with his ship. Sometimes stubbornness and the thought of "there's always next race, month, year" doesn't work. Look at drivers like WJ and KJ going from title contenders to field fillers. I'm not trying to knock anyone, just point out the facts. Sometimes when the "Mojo" leaves the building.. it ain't coming back.. and sitting around waiting for it doesn't help anything.

Until the Lucas group (family) hires a Lee Beard Team Manager type, and give him complete control of all aspects of the race team, they will continue on their path of mediocre performance. The last person who tried too take control was fired in a couple of months. As an observer to me it is obvious, the whole organization is dysfunctional, your team needs to be staffed with people that want to win at all costs period. I'm sure there are a some good employees but on the whole it is house cleaning time top to bottom. The I'm here for the fun of it tour needs to end at Lucas Racing.
Unfortunately it is not likely to happen and the parade of tuners will continue.

Walk up to Dick LaHaie's house with a wheelbarrow full of money, then tell him he can have the wheelbarrow and it's contents if he would come tune their dragster. Tell him to bring his notes from the Miller Lite days.

Walk up to Dick LaHaie's house with a wheelbarrow full of money, then tell him he can have the wheelbarrow and it's contents if he would come tune their dragster. Tell him to bring his notes from the Miller Lite days.

I don't think LaHaie retired because of/or would come back for money. I think he wanted out, I think the travel was starting to get demanding

Until the Lucas group (family) hires a Lee Beard Team Manager type, and give him complete control of all aspects of the race team, they will continue on their path of mediocre performance. The last person who tried too take control was fired in a couple of months. As an observer to me it is obvious, the whole organization is dysfunctional, your team needs to be staffed with people that want to win at all costs period. I'm sure there are a some good employees but on the whole it is house cleaning time top to bottom. The I'm here for the fun of it tour needs to end at Lucas Racing.
Unfortunately it is not likely to happen and the parade of tuners will continue.

Perfectly said Mike.
Like the wise man once said, If you find yourself in a hole, quit digging...

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back