Monday NHRA News announcement rumors (1 Viewer)

I have only seen 1 VP station and I don't immediately recall where it was, but I was on my way to a Cincinnati Reds game using old state roads to get from Muncie, Indiana to Cincinnati.

increasing c-store traffic IMO would be a residual effect of this partnership....at best, and to a minimal amount; much better ways
to market c-store/gas brands to the general public; that being said, it sure seems like a natural fit for pro team pre-race appearances
at nat. event market sunoco c-store locations, in the same manner wilk displayed at (2) circle K twin cities locations on wednesday
before the BIR race last summer.

increasing c-store traffic IMO would be a residual effect of this partnership....at best, and to a minimal amount; much better ways
to market c-store/gas brands to the general public; that being said, it sure seems like a natural fit for pro team pre-race appearances
at nat. event market sunoco c-store locations, in the same manner wilk displayed at (2) circle K twin cities locations on wednesday
before the BIR race last summer.
But the chosen sponsor would also have to supply racing fuels not just consumer gasoline. Not all gasoline suppliers can supply methanol and nitromethane.

But the chosen sponsor would also have to supply racing fuels not just consumer gasoline. Not all gasoline suppliers can supply methanol and nitromethane.

that's not what i'm suggesting.....i am suggesting that the nhra/sunoco 10 yr. deal most likely is a profitable one for sunoco already;
their price paid to nhra vs. what they stand to make selling various fuel types directly to the racers will be profitable; additional c-store revenue derived from brand recognition/loyalty is 'icing on the cake'. if i want to advertise a c-store brand, i'm surely not going to do it being an 'official fuel supplier' of a motorsports series.

anyone know who pursued who on this deal? was nhra looking for someone? or did sunoco approach nhra?

Last edited:
It doesn't appear that the NHRA teams are getting their fuel free as the NASCAR teams do. That would've been a major plus, even if just for the professional categories. I don't think this sponsorship deal is going to cost Sunoco all that much money. I'd be curious to know the difference in Sunoco income from purchased NHRA racing fuels, versus how much the "Official Race Fuel" sponsorship costs them, is. I think Sunoco scored a hell of a deal on this one.

Regardless, of being an official NHRA ____________ (fill in the blank) they still have to compete for the consumer's dollar. Unless it's required by a class. Otherwise, it's just an marketing opportunity to sell more product.

I's sure all producers of fuels have to meet a minimum standard when making fuel, but I couldn't tell you the different between Sonoco, VP or any other type of Methanol. We run an index class, so we adjust accordingly. We buy Sonoco because it's cost the same as the local F&L distributor's drum price, only the Sonoco guy delivers for free. If we can get it from F&L free of delivery and at a cheaper cost, we'd switch.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back