Mike Ashley's Team seeks New Title Sponsor (1 Viewer)

Evan Knoll is a drag racing philanthropist -- he supports racing and race teams for pure love of the sport. He simply cannot be making money doing this and quite frankly, must be spending his own money hand over fist.

The POW/MIA tribute car made no money for him -- by design. That's several million dollars out of pocket in just one season on just one team.

How about the Skull Gear TF car? With the Skull merchandise retailing for about $35 per item, that car would have to generate in the neighborhood of 100,000 sales to justify its existence. I'm not a marketing guy. I'm only speculating based on what I see people wearing at the races, but I can't believe it came even remotely close to doing that. So that appears to be another team Evan was running on his own dime. The list, of course, goes on and on.

I applaud the man -- from my perspective he is a true, unselfish hero of the sport. But could this kind of spending continue indefinitely?

Evan Knoll is a drag racing philanthropist -- he supports racing and race teams for pure love of the sport. He simply cannot be making money doing this and quite frankly, must be spending his own money hand over fist.

The POW/MIA tribute car made no money for him -- by design. That's several million dollars out of pocket in just one season on just one team.

How about the Skull Gear TF car? With the Skull merchandise retailing for about $35 per item, that car would have to generate in the neighborhood of 100,000 sales to justify its existence. I'm not a marketing guy. I'm only speculating based on what I see people wearing at the races, but I can't believe it came even remotely close to doing that. So that appears to be another team Evan was running on his own dime. The list, of course, goes on and on.

I applaud the man -- from my perspective he is a true, unselfish hero of the sport. But could this kind of spending continue indefinitely?

Is Forrest Lucas next?
With all due respect and appreciation for Lucas Oil, I beg to ask the question here....
We're talking about tens and closer to hundreds of millions of sponsorship dollars from Lucas.
The man has sponsored absolutely everyone and everything in motorsports, and now holds naming rights to the new Colts stadium. Every motorsport event, big or small has some kind of Lucas donation attached..
There must be some incredible volumes and profits in oil additive sales that I'm not appreciating here because I just don't see those kinds of extreme dollars.....
Obviously I am missing something here, but those are excessively optimistic numbers to be guaranteeing, especially in an increasingly tight and unstable oil market and economy in general.

Last edited:
Is Forrest Lucas next?
With all due respect and appreciation for Lucas Oil, I beg to ask the question here....
We're talking about tens and closer to hundreds of millions of sponsorship dollars from Lucas.
The man has sponsored absolutely everyone and everything in motorsports, and now holds naming rights to the new Colts stadium. Every motorsport event, big or small has some kind of Lucas donation attached..
There must be some incredible volumes and profits in oil additive sales that I'm not appreciating here because I just don't see those kinds of extreme dollars.....
Obviously I am missing something here, but those are excessively optimistic numbers to be guaranteeing, especially in an increasingly tight and unstable oil market and economy in general.

Keep in mind you can go to Wal-Mart, auto part stores or any truck stop in America to pick up Lucas products. I for one have never seen any Torco products available in the traditional market place.

how come there isn't anything about this on competition plus. bobby bennett is usually right on top of anything that has to do with torco. he would know the most because he seems pretty tight with evan knoll...... c'mon bobby, tell us whats up

Bruce, look at what name comes before Competition Plus... it is "Torco's" Competition Plus... Whats that thing about biting the hand that feeds you?

CJ Curtsinger

Bruce, look at what name comes before Competition Plus... it is "Torco's" Competition Plus... Whats that thing about biting the hand that feeds you?

CJ Curtsinger

what i was getting at moron is i would expect the formal release to come from bobby before anyone to end any speculation. why would that mean anything about biting the hand that feeds you if bobby was to put an article about even's decision . competition plus has broken more stories first than any publication that i have ever seen. facts from the source are the best way to get to the truth.

what i was getting at moron is i would expect the formal release to come from bobby before anyone to end any speculation. why would that mean anything about biting the hand that feeds you if bobby was to put an article about even's decision . competition plus has broken more stories first than any publication that i have ever seen. facts from the source are the best way to get to the truth.

Did you consider maybe Evan doesn't want us to know yet? That seemed clear to me... So assuming Bobby does know, why would he tell us if Evan doesn't want him to (Thus biting the hand)... Your last two sentances I agree with completely though...

CJ Curtsinger

Last edited:
From what Evan put on his Myspace page, he is having some health issues that are a result of a car accident in 2004.

This quote is from Torco's Comp Plus dot com awards in 2005:

Knoll quicky credits a strong supporting cast as the key to his success, but those close to him know that his success comes from an undying desire to succeed. He's sometimes unconventional and lives life with the intensity of a candle burning at both ends. Knoll's physicians will tell you that he suffers from a condition that injects an overabundance of adrenalin into his system.

That condition is probably the one thing (along with the prayers of friends) that enabled Knoll to survive a single-car accident in a Dodge Viper that led to multiple brain bleeds.

All I care about at this point is for him to take care of himself and get well. Keep him is your prayers.

Once there is an official response, we will post it. The company has said they will release it today and once that comes across -- we will post it as well as share with our fellow members of the media.

I do know in brief conversations with officers of the company this is a tough time for them. Suzie, thanks for posting what you did.

There is no cover up or nothing -- I'm just waiting on the official word -- that's all.

Once there is an official response, we will post it. The company has said they will release it today and once that comes across -- we will post it as well as share with our fellow members of the media.

I do know in brief conversations with officers of the company this is a tough time for them. Suzie, thanks for posting what you did.

There is no cover up or nothing -- I'm just waiting on the official word -- that's all.

Thanks Bobby. All I care about is Evan's well being. Please pass on my well wishes.

I just sense there is something freaky going on. Evan has given so many people the opportunity to get out there and race I just find it unlike him to pull the plug on everything considering everything that he has done. Hopefully the release will give us some more information but like most cases, we wont hear the full story. I hope he gets well and takes care of himself and gets back out there soon!

I just sense there is something freaky going on. Evan has given so many people the opportunity to get out there and race I just find it unlike him to pull the plug on everything considering everything that he has done. Hopefully the release will give us some more information but like most cases, we wont hear the full story. I hope he gets well and takes care of himself and gets back out there soon!
Pull the plug? This is the glass is half full syndrome. Some will say pull the plug while others will say "Thank you Mr. Knoll for the jump start and/or awesome support you have given us which has been far more than ever expected of anyone.

I too, share the sentiments of those who are most concerned for Evan's health, well being and bottom line. He'll be in my prayers-especially those of thanks.

Thank you so much for the press release. I am typing this with tears in my eyes. The Mayo Clininc is one of the finest facilities in the world. Evan is in good hands.

You should start a new thread with them so that everyone knows what is going on and the speculation will stop.

i can't say this enough..........Pray for him

I wish Evan all the best in his recovery and hope he knows we are all in full support of his taking the time off due to his health and hope to see him out there as soon as hes better! :)

My one question is this...are all the sponsored teams going to be sidelined this season and sit out while Torco is taking the year off? I know Mike Ashley expressed he would be using funding from his mortgage company but what about everyone else? Would the other sponsors they have been enough to cover the season? Evan has helped so many, as I've said before, I think they would all like to stay on board with him when he comes back in 09.

First off..I want to wish Evan a Speedy recovery! I had always wondered what would happen should Evan, Ken Black, or Connie Kalitta should decide to take their funds somewhere else. Well in this case it's an illness, but you get my point. Don't think Compton/Light aren't just a tiny winy bit nervous over this...:eek:

Last edited:
G. Light nervous over this? C'mon...Light was doing this long before anyone ever heard of TORCO..I hope Torco stays involved in drag racing and I am sure many are Thankful for their given opportunity w/ the support BUT the show will go on...I have said this before...Kalitta/Knoll/Lucas/Bernstein/etc could step away and the show will go on...and on...

Wow!
I hope Evan gets well soon.
The economy is in a recession it has been heading that way for quite a while and the US dollars value sucks it will be a little while before it gets any better that's just a fact.

G. Light nervous over this? C'mon...Light was doing this long before anyone ever heard of TORCO..I hope Torco stays involved in drag racing and I am sure many are Thankful for their given opportunity w/ the support BUT the show will go on...I have said this before...Kalitta/Knoll/Lucas/Bernstein/etc could step away and the show will go on...and on...

I wouldn't be so sure about things going on as they are. NHRA has caused at least one pro team to make major changes in their hospitality program.
If Virgil is correct about the obscure rule not allowing single car TF and FC teams to have hospitality facilities in the pits, the chances of smaller teams attracting corporate sponsorship will quickly approach . . . zero. JMHO

I wish nothing but the best for Mike, and pray that Evan comes back bigger and badder than ever. Mike, you are a class act. Don't ever change.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back