Mike Ashley's Team seeks New Title Sponsor (1 Viewer)

Matthew Brammer

Nitro Member
Ashley's Team seeks Sponsorship for 2008

MELVILLE, New York (January 8, 2008) -- Mike Ashley is no stranger to adversity or crisis in business. This morning, Ashley received a telephone call from his longtime sponsor Torco Racing Fuels, indicating that they would be taking the year off of drag racing. That leaves the opportunity wide open for new sponsors to step in and become a part of Ashley's winning team.

"While I'm shocked and surprised, first I want to say that Evan Knoll is a friend and a first class guy, I appreciate everything he's ever done for me, and I maintain the utmost respect for him," Ashley said.

"Although Torco was not specific in the conversation with me, I certainly understand based on the current state of the world economy and fuel and oil price instability why this would be an intelligent business move for them to take a break from racing in 2008.

"This leaves an incredible opportunity for entertaining new sponsorships, partnerships or mergers in order to continue operations," Ashley said.

Ashley said his company, Lend America, will temporarily take on the roll of primary sponsorship while new marketing sponsorship is secured. He also said his Gotham City Racing team expects to retain Melanie Troxel to drive, and any interested parties can contact him directly at [email protected] to explore opportunities.

Last edited:
BIG WOW:eek:,
How does this effect Melanie, does it mean that she will not be running Nitro FC for Evan Knolls in 2008?
What about Clay and Jesse Harris?
And Densham and Peanut?
Dave Connelly?
Matt Smith?
Exactly what does it mean, Torco taking a year off?:confused:

Obviously if Torco removed all of their $$$ it would have an effect on NHRA Drag Racing! Now for the not so obvious question, is this part of the master plan?:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I'm bummed to see this, but not surprised to see Mike remain upbeat and positive. He's obviously an individual who knows how to adapt to change. What I am confused about, is the statement that Torco is taking '08 off from drag racing. That is kind of saying a lot, no? I mean, I hope that's not the case, but it makes it seem like we should expect to see about 20 more announcements like this if that's the case. I'm thinking it's more like Evan & Mike couldn't come to terms for this season. Either way, Mike, I hope to see you back out this year, good luck with the team and with your company in'08.

Somehow, I think someone is pulling our leg. If you go to NHRA.com they are now saying Jessie Harris is going to drive under the TORCO banner for '08.

It's true. In business things happen. I think for now Evan has done alot for many of us out here and I for one am grateful for his support of my team and our community. Most of what Evan did was from his heart and he should be recognized for that. It hurts right now, and yes it really set's us back but I am confident that we will find support. We have a top noth team with 2 cars that can compete for a championship. Thanks to Evan for taking us this far. As for everyone else focus on solutions and they will come. Life has bumps until death thats the only thing that's final.

Expect to Win,

Mike Ashley

Somehow, I think someone is pulling our leg. If you go to NHRA.com they are now saying Jessie Harris is going to drive under the TORCO banner for '08.

Uh, Sam --- the post you're replying to was posted by Ashley's PR guy.:rolleyes: Not sure why he would want to pull anybody's leg.

Anyhow, I see Mike has already personally responded.

Uh, Sam --- the post you're replying to was posted by Ashley's PR guy.:rolleyes: Not sure why he would want to pull anybody's leg.

Anyhow, I see Mike has already personally responded.

Oh, sorry about that. :eek:

Anyway is Evan just going to not sponsor Mike's or is he pulling back on all the cars?

Mike, kudos to you for taking the high road in this shocker. You have always been a class act and I sincerely wish you the best in the sponsor search. And thanks for dropping by to verify the news. I do have one question and I understand you may not be at liberty to answer--Is your team the only one who is losing funding from Evan, or may there be an "across the board" type pullout of Torco funding? Thanks for taking time for us!

Let's start a rumor. Evan is going to put all his money into the "I". And not in sponsorship, but in purchase.
Lee
Nitroclovers

I seem to have read a rumor somewhere where Evan was pulling all his sponsorship out and boycotting the NHRA because of lack of TV Coverage. Remember this was only a rumor that I read out there.

Shannon

This caught me by surprise too. Sorry to hear this Mike. I wish you and Melanie luck this year. Hope you find a wonderful new sponsor. Although I have to say I wish I was just half as upbeat and positive as you are, especially in times like this.

Thanks for all you've done Evan...

Mike, this is all going to work out.

G.C.R. is going to have a great year

d'kid

sorry to hear about this mike, but im confident if anyone can pull through this its you and your team! good luck in 08!!

Here we go...anyone else ready for '08?

Good luck Mike, and thanks for all you have done Evan.

Last edited:
at this point in the off season, i'm surprised to say the least.
will have to wait to hear more on this.

I am also very surprised by this. I feel pretty confident that Mike will land on his feet because he can have Lend America buy them some time. I am more worried about if Evan is pulling out of other places (Millican, Harris, Smith, etc...). He has helped out SO many people and I would hate to see that all end too.

Well, I guess we'll see. Sure does SUCK though!!!

Wow, what a shocker. Kinda ****ty to find out only a few weeks before the season starts.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back