Memphis '92 (1 Viewer)

MK

Nitro Member
Stat guy Lewis Bloom's piece about Jimmy Prock and Cory Mac where he said most people don't remember them winning Memphis in 1992, made me think well I do, I was there. Anyone else remember who won funny car? It was Big Al Hofmann in the Black Diamond sponsored car. We sucked down a few beers with him in the bar that night. If I remember right, there was talk that Cory was close to parking it before they won, that kept them going. I believe that if they would have went to the event in Canada and qualified that year they would have won the championship. Anyone else remember it that way, or am I running low on brain cells?

Last edited:
I think you are right, C Mac would have probably won the championship had he not skipped Sanair. It's too bad to, I think he and Jimmy both deserve a Championship ring.

I found this article on NHRA.com. Here is small excerpt from that article.
Excellent call-you could probably do the Stats man job!!!!!:cool:

"In 1992 I lost the championship by one round of competition to Joe Amato. That was awfully tough, but it was partially our own fault because we decided not to go to Montreal."

Al was driving the BDS, Blower Drive Service, car in 1992. I am not sure if he was driving a Ford Probe or Dodge Daytona.

If my memory is right, Cory lost by 42 points, and you got 100 just for making a qualifying attempt. He could of gone to Montreal, idled down the track, and went home, and he would have been the 1992 Champ.

This was back when it was 200 pts per round.

Al was driving the BDS, Blower Drive Service, car in 1992. I am not sure if he was driving a Ford Probe or Dodge Daytona.

Well, like I said, I was there. The Black Diamond thing didn't last very long, and there sure is not much info online about it. I'll see if I can dig up any pics of it, if nothing else, I suppose I could take a pic of the tshirt he signed. Al was a cool guy deep down inside, may he rest in peace. And me like an idiot, I didn't even spell his name right. :eek:

That was Cory's first ever win against Michael Brotherton in the Coors Silver bullet dragster for Gwynn. I remember them saying it was a first time win for either driver!!!

If my memory is right, Cory lost by 42 points, and you got 100 just for making a qualifying attempt. He could of gone to Montreal, idled down the track, and went home, and he would have been the 1992 Champ.

This was back when it was 200 pts per round.

Only you paul... :D

I was there. That's the year Force blew up big-time in the semi's against Hofmann. Al was sponsored by BDS . He beat Bazemore in the final. I have photos of it. Will try to look for them.

I was there. That's the year Force blew up big-time in the semi's against Hofmann. Al was sponsored by BDS . He beat Bazemore in the final. I have photos of it. Will try to look for them.

Dave and Paul, you guys are right. Al did still have BDS on the hood and sides of the car. The Black Diamond lettering was on both sides in the blue panel under the larger BDS in the white middle. I looked all over for a pic from there to no avail, but found a Diamond P 1992 year in review vhs tape that had video of Forces' crash and the finals. They were still on the car in Columbus, gone by Englishtown. It sure was fun watching all that old footage.

hofmann1-1.jpg

Mark,
Very cool that you found that. I had forgotten about the Black Diamond sponsorhip being on the lower rocker panels. I was pretty sure the body was the Daytona. Still not sure where my photos are. :eek: I'll find them one of these days!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back