Phoenix 92 (1 Viewer)

NYNitro86

Nitro Member
Because this weekend we are in Phoenix and the NHRA's Greatest Races is on TV, I'd decided to start something for fun about one Race that was SO MONUMENTAL Even NHRA's Greatest Races couldn't cover it...

PHOENIX 92!

I'd like to have a list of all the great monumental things that happened at this historic race...I'll start with a few...

The 2nd Time ever Pat Austin Doubled up (1st being Topeka 91)
The First time a Comp World Champion (David Nickens) Did not make the final 8 in eliminations in the first 3 races of the season as of 1990 season (1st time Phoenix had the 2nd Race of the tour)
The most times in Super Gas when they pull the chutes after their runs

I hope to get 101 stats about Phoenix 92...Lets keep it goin

Phoenix 92 Stat Tally (updated regularly)

Phoenix '92:

This race was the first live TV coverage of a national event. "The telecast marks the first time that entire Professional championship rounds in Top Fuel, Funny Car, and Pro Stock will be seen live from coast to coast, and it will be the first of six such telecasts of NHRA Winston Drag Racing scheduled by TNN this season." (from NHRA.net/50th).

Was the last race under 300mph. Kenny Bernstein topped the 300mph mark at the following event, the '92 Gatornationals.

Actually the first live coverage of a National event on TV was in 1971. NHRA Supernationals at Onterio CA. I don't remember what network but it was before cable, at least where we lived.

Indy '92 sure sticks out in my mind! Bernstein runs the first 300, quickest Fields in history in TF/FC!

Phoenix '92:

This race was the first live TV coverage of a national event. "The telecast marks the first time that entire Professional championship rounds in Top Fuel, Funny Car, and Pro Stock will be seen live from coast to coast, and it will be the first of six such telecasts of NHRA Winston Drag Racing scheduled by TNN this season." (from NHRA.net/50th).

Was the last race under 300mph. Kenny Bernstein topped the 300mph mark at the following event, the '92 Gatornationals.

well you are wrong on part 2 of this because Houston came after Phoenix, the first 4 in 92 were Pomona, Phoenix, Houston, Gainesville, so it was the 2nd to last race under 300mph.

Well I got #6 the last time Bob Frey Predicted 9.94 for a driver on a Super Stock Qualifying Run. although I don't think Norman Kaplan or Buddy Nickens ran a Nova in the finals of Phoenix 92 like when he said the last time 2 Novas ran in the finals of Super Stock (Kaplan was Stock).

wow, i remember those live final rnds. - wasn't eddie hill part of that?
against shirley? - don't have a clue on fc and ps.

18 yrs. ago already - a race you knew the winners instantaneously without
spending a few bucks on the nhra call-in-for-winners hotline :rolleyes:
(which was cool though as it was mac recalling the final rnds. :cool:)

...you guys know mine and Reinharts stance on this....

"THERE WILL NEVER BE ANOTHER PHOENIX 92" It was simply put...an EPIC event!

wow, i remember those live final rnds. - wasn't eddie hill part of that?
against shirley? - don't have a clue on fc and ps.

18 yrs. ago already - a race you knew the winners instantaneously without
spending a few bucks on the nhra call-in-for-winners hotline :rolleyes:
(which was cool though as it was mac recalling the final rnds. :cool:)

Pat Austin beat doug herbert, Tom hoover won funny car over... Johnny West?, and Jerry Eckman won pro stock over Don Beverly... I think.. Top fuel I know for sure, and I know hoover won. The rest is sketchy. You can add to your list.. 2nd race in a row then rookie cruz pedregon grenaded a supercharger right off the line. Also don beverly and scott geoffrion lost semifinal and final round races getting sideways due to one NASTY crosswind that day. That's about all I can remember, I was only 8 when it happened.

Pat Austin beat doug herbert, Tom hoover won funny car over... Johnny West?, and Jerry Eckman won pro stock over Don Beverly... I think.. Top fuel I know for sure, and I know hoover won. The rest is sketchy. You can add to your list.. 2nd race in a row then rookie cruz pedregon grenaded a supercharger right off the line. Also don beverly and scott geoffrion lost semifinal and final round races getting sideways due to one NASTY crosswind that day. That's about all I can remember, I was only 8 when it happened.

In Funny Car, Tom Hoover beat the Strasser/Hartman Corvette driven by my son Richard and tuned by me. We were given a set of Firestone drive tires and it was their first final round. This was only our second race with Ray and Shirley. We beat Del, Whit and Densham before losing to Tom.

In Funny Car, Tom Hoover beat the Strasser/Hartman Corvette driven by my son Richard and tuned by me. We were given a set of Firestone drive tires and it was their first final round. This was only our second race with Ray and Shirley. We beat Del, Whit and Densham before losing to Tom.

Ah as soon as I saw you r name I rmemebr that. Smoked the tires and crossed the center line in the finals. Pink corvette wasn't it?

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back