maters i need your input (1 Viewer)

I was so pleased with my Brooks & Dunn idea I forgot to mention how weird it was to hear that white boxers weren't widely accepted. I think they are beautiful personally (for somebody who doesn't care for dogs). I would have imagined they'd be the rarer form of dogs so everybody would want them.

I was so pleased with my Brooks & Dunn idea I forgot to mention how weird it was to hear that white boxers weren't widely accepted. I think they are beautiful personally (for somebody who doesn't care for dogs). I would have imagined they'd be the rarer form of dogs so everybody would want them.
yeah i kinda ended up on this 'quest' by accident. my fawn dog was the first pick of a litter... i picked him out in the first few weeks. at 8 weeks when i went to take him home my breeder was begging me to take the white one too (brody). i don't have a big house so i was very hesitant but then she told me what most breeders do to white boxers and why. she was NOT one of those breeders. she always gave them to good homes. and the ones she couldn't find homes for she kept! she had about 5 white ones that she kept separate from here mated dogs.

i ended up working with a vet that was very knowledgeable about the situation. and honestly most people justify the killing by saying that the white ones are 'usually sickly or unhealthy'... not true at all.

they do have a high rate of deafness and that is because of the nature of there skin/hair/hair follicles and their pigment deficiency. white boxers are typically thin furred and shed like crazy! their skin and little follicles are just 'different' for what ever reason. this affects the dog's entire body... including the minute hairs and sensory follicles of their inner ears that sense vibrations and help their ear transmit sound. the result is a dog that 'acts' different from the rest and sometimes is slower in developing due to sensory deficits. many people assume something is 'wrong' with the puppy... when in fact it acts different because it can't hear what is going on around it. basically these little guys have just got the short end of the stick... and it's all driven by money

and btw... i think brooks and dunn is cute. but i race with john dunn from time to time (dunn and gone fuel altered/funny car) and he'll never get his helmet on again if he thinks i named my pup after him! :D

jim i could never name one of these monsters 'fluffy'!! ha ha!! lmao!

what's so funny is i'm sitting here trying to fathom calling a pup like my brooks by the name 'fluffy'... as he lays on the couch... legs sprawled out (so polite)... his upper lip snaggled up on his 2 inch underbite... drool running on my leather couch... and his smashed in nose whistling with every breath! what a little princess! ha ha!!

fluffy??? really??? i don't think so!! he's not nearly graceful enough to be a 'fluffy'!
brooks2.JPG
brooks3.jpg

brooks4.jpg
dogs1.gif

All great suggestions! I don't have a better one to offer....but being a fellow boxer LOVER I just have to add that I will probably never own another breed!

I'm even considering adding a brother or sister for my Laila. Um, you can tell I wasn't very creative by naming her after a female professional boxer. ;)

Hey Sean, cool story--thought I'd pass this one along to you--a while back I came home to find one of my outside cat kittens huddled by the back door barely alive--about 4 wk old at the time---he was comatose and barely breathing--he apparently had been attacked by a roving tomcat--I picked him up and he momentarily opened the one eye he could, so I knew he was still with us. I brought him inside and fully expected to find him gone in the morning--he wasn't--but he wasn't much better. Two days later he was showing no improvement, hadn't eaten or drank, and I contacted a friend to help me do what needed to be done cause I couldn't. I didn't want him to die of starvation or thirst. But I decided to take him to the vet first.
Vet looked at him and said, man, he's beat up--leave him overnight and I'll call you tomorrow, but don't hope for too much.

Long story short--he was better the next day--the vet says Man that cat really wants to live--so we began a long trip of various medications and vet visits, but he was getting better. About that same time, we of the drag racing world experienced a terrible loss--someone who's spriit, toughness, and will to live seemed to parallel that of my recovering kitty.
So, via my friend Suzie Q, I got permission to name him--you guessed it--Scotty.

Happy to say Scotty is growing into a very happy cat and each time I look at him I am reminded of all of the great things Scott Kalitta meant to us...

Hey Sean, boxers are the best dogs. We have a year old flashy fawn Boxer that my son named Peyton. (after his favorite quarterback) All the neighbors know him and all the kids here in our cul de sac play with him nearly daily! I'd post a picture of him if I knew how.

My suggestion for a name is Donovan!:cool:

I'm even considering adding a brother or sister for my Laila. Um, you can tell I wasn't very creative by naming her after a female professional boxer. ;)

Geez, all this time, I thought you named her after my sister. The similarities were there! :p

Why wouldn't the white dogs be breedable?

What exactly is a flashy fawn? I'm pretty sure it's not what I have in my imagnination.

Geez, all this time, I thought you named her after my sister. The similarities were there! :p

What exactly is a flashy fawn? I'm pretty sure it's not what I have in my imagnination.
LOL!

Jenn, because white boxers don't fit the 'standard' for AKC and there are so many that are born deaf, unfortunately some think they are worthless. I don't agree!

Flashy fawn is a mix of fawn and white. My Laila girl is flashy fawn.
picture.php

picture.php

LOL!

Jenn, because white boxers don't fit the 'standard' for AKC and there are so many that are born deaf, unfortunately some think they are worthless. I don't agree!
Flashy fawn is a mix of fawn and white. My Laila girl is flashy fawn.
]

Thanks Kelly

So they can be bred, breeders just don't want to bred them?

I thought maybe being white meant they had something wrong with their reproductive systems as well.

You could probably train a deaf dog to react to lights or vibrations right? Can dogs see flashing lights? Flash a lazer pointer to call them?

People have hightened senses if they lose one sense, I wonder if dogs do. A friend of my mom's is deaf and her eyesight and sense of smell is super good. The Lord gave her a challenge and a gift.

Hmmm...I was thinking that maybe Laila's future brindel brother might be named 'Cappsie". Ya think? Oh sure, I could go for the sponsor, but I've always said....I follow the driver. ;)

Suzie! I am NOT naming a dog Stinky! Although, since boxers are 'gassy' it would be perfect! :p

My suggestion for a name is Donovan!:cool:
tim i have always LOVED the name donovan!!... someday if i ever have a 2 legged kiddo... donovan would be at the top of my list

they have the ability to be bred but it is not a good idea because of the very high occurrence of deafness among the white boxers. obviously deafness is not a 'fatal flaw' but it just put those dogs at a huge disadvantage... some people will immediately think such a dog should be destroyed and if people do buy or adopt them it is incredibly challenging to train them to the level of a 'normal' (hearing) dog. so the incidence of these white boxers being abandoned, put down and destroyed is very high... so the best option is to NOT breed the white ones back into the bloodline

unfortunately the problem is some ***hole breeders will breed them in order to increase the number of flashy dogs they get because the flashy dogs are typically worth more money. it a very ugly supply/demand issue.

if i remember correctly when a white boxer is breed with a fawn/brindle boxer the result is typically 50%-flashy, 25%-fawn/brindle, 25%-white... and often the little white guys never see the light of day

flashy is typically white sock feet, white chest/shoulders/neck and sometimes a white panel on the back/sides. i believe the akc allows a boxer to be up to 30% white before it is considered a non-standard dog

it's just an all around sad situation

Hmmm...I was thinking that maybe Laila's future brindel brother might be named 'Cappsie". Ya think? Oh sure, I could go for the sponsor, but I've always said....I follow the driver.
well when you are ready don't be afraid to look on petfinder.com cuz they have all kinds of boxers on there in need and they come in all colors and ages

Hmmm...I was thinking that maybe Laila's future brindel brother might be named 'Cappsie". Ya think? Oh sure, I could go for the sponsor, but I've always said....I follow the driver. ;)

Suzie! I am NOT naming a dog Stinky! Although, since boxers are 'gassy' it would be perfect! :p

Awe.......Stinky would be awesome!!! heeehehehee!!!:D

Hey Sean, cool story--thought I'd pass this one along to you--a while back I came home to find one of my outside cat kittens huddled by the back door barely alive--about 4 wk old at the time---he was comatose and barely breathing--he apparently had been attacked by a roving tomcat--I picked him up and he momentarily opened the one eye he could, so I knew he was still with us. I brought him inside and fully expected to find him gone in the morning--he wasn't--but he wasn't much better. Two days later he was showing no improvement, hadn't eaten or drank, and I contacted a friend to help me do what needed to be done cause I couldn't. I didn't want him to die of starvation or thirst. But I decided to take him to the vet first.
Vet looked at him and said, man, he's beat up--leave him overnight and I'll call you tomorrow, but don't hope for too much.

Long story short--he was better the next day--the vet says Man that cat really wants to live--so we began a long trip of various medications and vet visits, but he was getting better. About that same time, we of the drag racing world experienced a terrible loss--someone who's spriit, toughness, and will to live seemed to parallel that of my recovering kitty.
So, via my friend Suzie Q, I got permission to name him--you guessed it--Scotty.

Happy to say Scotty is growing into a very happy cat and each time I look at him I am reminded of all of the great things Scott Kalitta meant to us...

You got that right Terry! Post a picture of him, I haven't seen him in a while.

You got that right Terry! Post a picture of him, I haven't seen him in a while.
Ok, if I can get them to show up, one is of Scotty soon after he began his recovery from the attack, and the other one is more recent one of him hanging out with his buddies on the "cat-tree" Scotty is chillin' on the bottom shelf

picture.php

picture.php

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back