Love it or? (2 Viewers)

None

Nitro Member
Love it or hate it, 1000 foot drag racing appears to be just what the sport needed. I know that this is only the second event at this distance and I am getting my information second handed, but breakage (down time) seems to be at a minimum. And as an added bonus look at todays qualifying in both PRO classes. Top qualified spots ( 12 positions only) in funny car are from a 4.05 to a 4.10 and dragster from a 3.80 to a 4.00. Also Schumacher ran a 316.90 and Bernstein a 315.12. Makes you wonder what the motors were doing in that last 320 feet.

Pellegrini

Let's go back to our roots and put them on a freckin' dry lake bed and run 'em through a measured mile.

Maybe Wally should have stuck to his guns and kept the Nitro ban in place. Maybe we should remember why The NHRA was founded in the first place, to get 'racers' off the street. Something is big time wrong when every 5 or so years, the organization that has to do a big anti- street racer push, then still doesn't embrace the cars people are driving on the street.

If all drag racing is to someone is the Nitro show, then you're missing why this is happening at all. It's not about how long a freckin' track is, it's about that it isn't happening on a road outside of town at 2am.

Don't get me wrong, I do love nitro floppers, I grew up around them. Pipe racks don't do a thing for me, I lost interest in them after John died.

Drag Racing is two cars going an agreed distance, the first to that distance wins, and I don't care if it's 660ft, 1000ft, 1320ft, 2640ft, or two freckin' miles.
d'kid

Drag Racing is two cars going an agreed distance, the first to that distance wins, and I don't care if it's 660ft, 1000ft, 1320ft, 2640ft, or two freckin' miles.

Hard to dispute that logic Karl. Very well said! ;)

However they finish this year out, I'd rather see them go to Dale Armstrong's low compression suggestions and back to 1,320 next year.

I'll second that one and go a couple steps further. 1000' is fine by me and I am sincerely hopeful that the entire community comes up with ANY feasible, effective plan...be it AA/Dale's, a blower ban, a nitro ban, 1000' or 660' for for everyone, etc., etc. But most importantly there must be a major paradigm shift in the attitudes of the NHRA, teams, promoters, media, and fans before any of that can be realized.

Oh yeah...one more thing...add massive facility improvements and safety innovations to the list. It's not just about slowing them down.

in the immortal words of Matt Foley 'whoopee freekin doo'

Yep,

I really think the people writin' the checks for this stuff are reallllllllyyyyy unhappy:rolleyes:

And the fans that have to sit (as I have) for innumerable oil downs and explosions and on and on.

Tight fields, cost already down an enormous amount, better overall package, probably safer, If asked to, I'd vote yay on keeping 1000' racing.

I'd bet a lot of people at these shows are happy they don't have to endure the downtime, I for one hate it.

Robert Hight said they could not get the handle on their tuneup because the engine would expire past 1000'.

Now they are making laps and Prock is getting data.

I'll bet it's here for good too.

REX

Who is "Matt Foley":confused::)

What are we trying to do with this sport? The speed has been an issue with Drag Racing for many years. It has been on the minds of NHRA as well as several drivers. The NHRA has made attempts over the years to slow the cars down and the guys have managed to find a way to go faster than before. Now we lose Scott and all of a sudden NHRA makes the track shorter. Obviously, Scott's incident was tragic and shouldn't have happened. I have been close with the Kalitta's for several years and the loss of Scott is very difficult to accept. That said, NHRA's logic behind the 1000' decision is pointless. It appeared to be a suitable band-aid at Denver. The racing was good and the cars were not as fast as they had been. However, the reduced speed was more a part of racing on the mountain than the shorter track. Fast-forward to this weekend. Two Dragsters went over 315 MPH in 1000'. How fast would they have gone in 1320'? I don't remember who said it would happen, Dale Armstrong, Don Prudhomme, somebody like that. They said the cars would be going just as fast if not faster. You have a shorter distance so you have to get to the end faster. How long will it be before Schumacher goes 330 MPH in 1000'? All you need is the right track and the right conditions and it will happen. Is this really slowing them down? The Funny Cars are going just over 300 MPH and that seems to be OK, but some the Dragsters are faster. The Dragsters have more rear downforce than the Funny Cars and I think this is part of the problem. Pull the 3rd element off of the wing on the Dragsters and I guaranty they will slow down. Back in 1990, NHRA made a rear-end gear change in an effort to slow the cars down. It worked pretty good for a while. Maybe it's time for another gear change. BTW, when was the last time NHRA checked the rear-end gears in Tech? I am told that NHRA believes in the honor system when it comes to the gears and they haven't checked them in years. Maybe they 'ought to have a random surprise gear check. Never know what they might find. How many more times is NHRA going to shorten the track to keep up with everybody going faster? Sooner or later, Nitro racing will be nothing more than a burnout contest. If NHRA wants the cars to go slower, then slow them down. Making the track shorter obviously isn't the answer.

Dave

Spent all day yesterday at my first live 1000' race, and it's really not that bad. Yes, people aren't shutting down until 1320' (or is it 1300' :) ), and yes, seeing 3.xx on the board is weird. But it's still racing, and it's still loud, and it's still fun.

The worst part is the two finish lines -- looks weird and is confusing. That alone makes me think NHRA will go back to everyone running the same distance. Let's hope it's not 1000'.

The best parts are the close racing (holy cow the whole funny car field separated by .09?) and the lack of oil downs (although alky had it's problems), and THE LIVING DRIVERS. Long chat with Jack and Jenna Beckman last night -- Jenna said that she definitely prefers Jack alive. :rolleyes:

All you folks throwing babies out with the bathwater need to try it before you decide ("Hey Mikey -- he likes it!"). It's still drag racing.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back