Lewis Bloom (1 Viewer)

Bob Frey 100% left on his terms at the time of his choosing. And he has continued to work some of the heritage events and other things as well as maintaining the database that he built himself that Lewis and the rest of us use. I still talk to him often as he is a valuable resource.

I think what happened with Lewis should be obvious to anyone. Many organisations are having to make difficult decisions at this time. He told me yesterday (I called to check on him as any friend would do) that he had his retirement plan in place and was only going to work another year or two max. So he moved up the timetable.

And I didn't "Gang Up" on you or anyone else, I asked where you came up with what you said. Apparently you just made it up out of thin air. You responded with a personal attack on me.

Alan
Alan I made no attack on you but I personally think others should have been [GIVEN] the choice. Some with less knowledge than Lewis- no pissing contest but there are some a lot less capable of doing your job as to bring NHRA to the front of the uninformed.Like I said I have seen some of the best from NHRA inc. yourself- Steve Mac, but some don't offer what the racers whan't- just my opinion-Mike-

Soo Where does this go? They relied on Lewis for the previous stats and including Bob. I'll they took their book of research with them. Tony is the back up guy on the show, where is he gonna get his stats for the telecasts? Alan? or one of the guys like Whit? John Force? Nobody can pull the stats like Lewis or Bob Frey, PERIOD!!! Sportsman classes they were on the top. Show me someone that can top them! Prove me wrong.

Bob Frey 100% left on his terms at the time of his choosing. And he has continued to work some of the heritage events and other things as well as maintaining the database that he built himself that Lewis and the rest of us use. I still talk to him often as he is a valuable resource.

Alan

I can second all of that with a long convo with Bob in 2012 at e-town. I was able to "look at the stats" but as far as using them, only actual math gives away a non ownership statistic. As far as some of the situation stats (vast) and info on who is who and what is what...That's what made Bob's program legendary. You cannot put a price on it. It is not for sale and never will be.

Mike,

No issue with you and always happy to have a discussion even when we don't agree. I'm not in Glendora and I'm certainly not speaking for them. But I do know that many companies are having to make difficult decisions right now in order to survive. American Airlines just announced 19,000 lay offs. I'm sure some of those people are very good at their jobs, and I'm sure that many will be missed by the people that have come to rely on "That Guy" when they needed something. But that doesn't change the fact that hard decisions have to be made. And when I started, I was in need of some experience and not everyone loved me more than some of the "Old Guard" but I was given a chance to learn and grow, and I like to think that I ended up being OK.

Joe,

I'm sure that Lewis is happy to hear that you think no one else in the world can do his job. Maybe this opens the door for someone to make their own way in the business. And for the "He can't be replaced" mentality, anybody remember Alan Johnson leaving DSR? There was a very loud chorus saying "Tony's done" "Tony will never win another race" "AJ was the program and Tony won't be squat without him" Then Tony did win again and again, and again, including the Championship.

We will adjust, we will move on and we will overcome. First, we have to survive.
Alan

I can second all of that with a long convo with Bob in 2012 at e-town. I was able to "look at the stats" but as far as using them, only actual math gives away a non ownership statistic. As far as some of the situation stats (vast) and info on who is who and what is what...That's what made Bob's program legendary. You cannot put a price on it. It is not for sale and never will be.

I will be the third to say that Bob F. retired of his own decision so that he could be a doting grandfather to his grandchildren.

Jim

Mike,

No issue with you and always happy to have a discussion even when we don't agree. I'm not in Glendora and I'm certainly not speaking for them. But I do know that many companies are having to make difficult decisions right now in order to survive. American Airlines just announced 19,000 lay offs. I'm sure some of those people are very good at their jobs, and I'm sure that many will be missed by the people that have come to rely on "That Guy" when they needed something. But that doesn't change the fact that hard decisions have to be made. And when I started, I was in need of some experience and not everyone loved me more than some of the "Old Guard" but I was given a chance to learn and grow, and I like to think that I ended up being OK.

Joe,

I'm sure that Lewis is happy to hear that you think no one else in the world can do his job. Maybe this opens the door for someone to make their own way in the business. And for the "He can't be replaced" mentality, anybody remember Alan Johnson leaving DSR? There was a very loud chorus saying "Tony's done" "Tony will never win another race" "AJ was the program and Tony won't be squat without him" Then Tony did win again and again, and again, including the Championship.

We will adjust, we will move on and we will overcome. First, we have to survive.
Alan
Alan all I can say I hope we all can survive this tough times that WE all face-Mike-PS red ink usually means your in debt-HA-h

As the guy watching this from home, all I can say is they should have kept the Stat Man and bounced the guy in the booth that can and should go back to racing a FC.....Brian in the booth is fine for the rest of this lousy year

Lewis' voice in my head and Vinny Napp lining the cars up in the staging lanes is what I remember most of Englishtown.
I have great memories of Lewis announcing that "the next car under E-Town's tower you don't see everyday.....a Dodge Omni GLH Turbo. Watch this thing, they can surprise you..."

I heard that over my AM radio feed just before my runner up at the Mopars at ETown running a 15.65 against a super gas Duster....and I broke out on a 16.0 dial in :)

Last edited:
Mike,

Joe,

remember Alan Johnson leaving DSR? There was a very loud chorus saying "Tony's done" "Tony will never win another race" "AJ was the program and Tony won't be squat without him" Then Tony did win again and again, and again, including the Championship.

Alan

Yes and no. I'll bet a lot of people didn't know that when Alan Johnson left DSR, He lined up Mike green to take his position. So there you go with everyone thinking Tony was going to fail. Now, What is NHRA going to do without a stat guy, run to you Alan while you are trying to broadcast the show?? Wanna see how you're patience outcomes.

I think what happened with Lewis should be obvious to anyone. Many organisations are having to make difficult decisions at this time. He told me yesterday (I called to check on him as any friend would do) that he had his retirement plan in place and was only going to work another year or two max. So he moved up the timetable.

And I didn't "Gang Up" on you or anyone else, I asked where you came up with what you said. Apparently you just made it up out of thin air. You responded with a personal attack on me.

Alan
My company just went through a significant RIF and the first we’re older “close to retirees” and they were offered early retirement packages. It’s standard practice for us when downturns like this happen.

Yes and no. I'll bet a lot of people didn't know that when Alan Johnson left DSR, He lined up Mike green to take his position. So there you go with everyone thinking Tony was going to fail. Now, What is NHRA going to do without a stat guy, run to you Alan while you are trying to broadcast the show?? Wanna see how you're patience outcomes.

OK Joe, you're right. NHRA will probably fold in 30 days, and I'll be here to listen to you tell everyone that you told us so.

Just one question, if AJ left a road map for those who followed him so as not to destroy the team he left, why would you think that Lewis would not do the same? As Lewis said in his post on Twitter, he had a pretty good 47 year run, and you seem to think that he would abandon those who were there by his side.

I'm glad I don't work with you, I want the people I work with to continue to succeed when I leave, not to go down in flames. And I would do the same for them. I'm guessing that you? Not so much........

Alan

Mike,

Joe,

Alan
I think our biggest challenge ahead is making sure NHRA survives there will be changes and tough dcission will be made just stand behind them as much as possible

Just that the announcement was so cryptic.......Lots of us are familiar with early retirement deals. Most are not thrilled to leave a year or two earlier than planned but - given a "decent package" and respect for the need for the enterprise to continue - we live with it.
'Kinda wish (though it's really none of our business) there was a little more background in Lewis' twitter. It sounded like a very curt goodbye -informed by a non-disparagement agreement.

I've never met Lewis, but he definitely seems like one of the good guys in drag racing. And his passion for the sport is obvious. He's been in the sport forever, but he's certainly not too old to land some racing related gig when things become more normal, if he wants to. Best of luck to him.

THANKS FOR EVERYTHING LEWIS!!
Good fortune and happiness to you for whatever you choose for the future!

As an aside, yes, I was a bit shocked, but at the same time, I am a bit surprised by some of the perceived, I don't know, resentment, toward the NHRA. This guy was able to work for 40+ years in the drag racing industry, and get PAID to do it..Talk about a dream job! The history he has experienced, the evolution of a sport. To see the rise of superstars, records shattered, to mingle with the true heroes of the sport we all love. To be a part of something so grand must upon reflection be, at some times, a very humbling experience. From broken records to the loss of some of our greatest heroes, and everything in between, such a career surely must be the envy of most of us.
As the years progress, things change, as must we. Going forward, the NHRA must continue to evolve and adapt in order to showcase what we as competitors choose to dedicate our (usually) meager resources to in support of our passions and dreams. If the last couple of years haven't been hard enough on all of us, 2020 has and surely will continue to test the mettle of us all. When it comes right down to it, all we are is race fans. We are not front line care givers, emergency service personnel, military, or any of the other personnel necessary to keep this world moving forward when we are here, we are just fans of a sport. Yes, a sport. Granted, we have all dedicated some percentage of our life to enable our ability to continue our participation, certainly some more than others, but the fact remains, it is still just an unnecessary sport. Yes, large venues and events can create revenue for the hosting area, but in dwindling amounts. The electronic and social age is changing the world in ways we are not yet even completely aware of. As generations progress, interests and extra-curricular activities morph in directions we may not like or agree with. As we grow older, younger generations find new and exciting ways to use their recreation time. It falls upon us, and our associations to find ways to engage and enthrall new generations of participants and fans alike. Like me, I'm sure many of your children do not feel the same excitement and passion we feel toward drag racing we do. Disappointing of course, but we encourage our children to follow their dreams, whatever they are. In order to continue pursuing our passions, we must be flexible, resilient and dedicated, but most of all, grateful for any chance we are afforded to be able to do so. Change is indeed, inevitable. We can choose to embrace it, or we can get our back up and be left behind. It is our choice. Be negative any time something changes, and become irrelevant, or embrace change, dive in head first and roll the dice. What will the future of Lewis hold? That is up to Lewis. What will the future of the NHRA hold, that can be influenced by all of us. What will your future hold? Only you, your actions and desires can pave that road. Don't be that one why?. Be a why not? Hope, positivity and determination will over-shadow any naysayers any day in whatever you choose. Better to boldly go forward than meakly take a step back in fear.

I met Lewis a few years ago at the Route 66 Nationals in Joliet. Since I grew up in NJ, we talked about Englishtown and places we used to hang out at. Super nice and smart guy who was a huge asset for the NHRA for many years. A class act. He will be missed. Wishing him the best in his retirement.

I enjoyed hearing his knowledge over the years and he was an asset to every broadcast. I never thought he was doing this for 47 years! I can count the number of people I know who worked for one employer for 47 years using one finger of one hand and it ain't me. Congratulations on a great career and all the best to him.

47 years never working a day in your life, (you know the saying) in drag racing/nhra!?!? That would be an awesome career! 47 years, even if he started when he was 16, do the math hes probably ready to go fishing.

I was shocked to see the 47 years. Would’ve figured him to be much younger. It’s nice to see people appreciated his work. Life will go on but I wish him and his family all the best with heath and happiness. Most cite his stats work but I mostly noticed his documentary type pieces in front of the camera. Nicely done and his enthusiasm is genuine. There are going to be a lot of these stories. I saw in an earlier post that Alan is a contractor so he likely doesn’t get paid until he works (although some other gigs I bet). Stay safe and help each other out where you can.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back