Leah Pruett-LeDuc in FC Pomona (1 Viewer)

Yes I have actually. I served 6 years on Active Duty with the USAF. Military fighter jet to TF is like apples to oranges. TF is 4 seconds at a time. Flying a fighter jet is constant abuse with the body being supported by numerous pieces of equipment, g suits, oxygen and so on. This is a lost cause. To say that a TF driver is not an athlete, or any racer for that matter is ridiculous.

Bull$hit! Then you already should know a few manuvers in a fighter jet can cause some to blackout and that has never happened in a Fuel car!
And we aren't talking about tire shake just G force's.
Chris Karamasini who is in his 80's driving a top fuel car tell me how many 80 year old fighter pilots do you know of? :rolleyes:

Not an athlete is my final answer!:cool:

Last edited:
You did not state a fact, you stated an opinion. And in my opinion, not a very good one.

It takes a set of skills to drive a nitro car and not everyone has them. Some are better than others, and some should never get into a car.

I know of individuals in their 70's and above that bowl, golf, play baseball, swim competitions, run marathons, etc. All sports that are considered athletic endeavors. Does their age change their classification as an athlete?

I also know pro athletes that have not been able to drive a nitro car successfully. They have some great skill sets for certain sports, but auto racing, drag racing in particular, was not one of them.

To keep with the thread, I wish Leah and the team the best of luck and much success.

Virgil it's a fact a driver isn't a ATHLETE! Get over it!
With the exception of Golf,Bowling and in my opinion baseball, which are games of skill, yes people can run marathons and enter swimming competitons but not on a competative level at those ages!
Golf, bowling, pool and even driving does require a certain skill but is not athletic and I'm sticking to it. I guess since a crew chief has skill he's an athlete also right! :p

Virgil it's a fact a driver isn't a ATHLETE! Get over it!
With the exception of Golf,Bowling and in my opinion baseball, which are games of skill, yes people can run marathons and enter swimming competitons but not on a competative level at those ages!
Golf, bowling, pool and even driving does require a certain skill but is not athletic and I'm sticking to it. I guess since a crew chief has skill he's an athlete also right! :p

geeezus, who took your pacifier?? and really, who cares?

She's so awesome. I really think she has it all to become a top level star.

In Vegas, sitting in the stands, some goof
rofl.gif
spilled a soda right behind her.
Gravity made all the soda flow down to where she was sitting. She had to move over one spot.

I have to say, the goof was embarrassed and sorry about that. He's a cool dude in actuality. Hey goof, I'll pm you later, I have some Pomona ticket coupons I picked up for you!

In drag racing, some drivers are more athletic than others.

Regardless, I don't think we should confuse reflexes with actual conditioning.

As far as motorsports are concerned, drivers in F1, IndyCar and even NASCAR require actual athleticism as an asset and for a competitive advantage. Because of the speeds, conditions and endurance, these racers need to have real stamina in order to overcome fatigue and sometimes dehydration.

Conversely, whatever their conditioning, the pantomime of an out-of-breath drag racer reaching for the series' sponsor's sports drink in order to replenish their depleted bodily fluids after four seconds of competition is pretty farcical. In drag racing, the guy doing the bottom end has to be more athletic than the actual driver.

I guess is could also be argued that some athletes are more athletic than others. Back in the day, Sonny Jurgensen's ever-expanding pot belly while QBing for the Washington Redskins is proof, I suppose. Although the days of playing pro football fat and out of shape are probably over -- but I don't think it is that much of a hindrance in a Nitro Car or a Pro Stocker, even though the lighter the driver, the more one can move around ballast inside the race car, I guess.

Last edited:
In drag racing, some drivers are more athletic than others.

Regardless, I don't think we should confuse reflexes with actual conditioning.

As far as motorsports are concerned, drivers in F1, IndyCar and even NASCAR require actual athleticism as an asset and for a competitive advantage. Because of the speeds, conditions and endurance, these racers need to have real stamina in order to overcome fatigue and sometimes dehydration.

Conversely, whatever their conditioning, the pantomime of an out-of-breath drag racer reaching for the series' sponsor's sports drink in order to replenish their depleted bodily fluids after four second of competition is pretty farcical. In drag racing, the guy doing the bottom end has to be more athletic than the actual driver.

I guess is could also be argued that some athletes are more athletic than others. Back in the day, Sonny Jurgensen's ever-expanding pot belly while QBing for the Washington Redskins is proof, I suppose. Although the days of playing pro football fat and out of shape are probably over -- but I don't think it is that much of a hindrance in a Nitro Car or a Pro Stocker, even though the lighter the driver, the more one can move around ballast inside the race car, I guess.

Well put Cole!:D

all I know is that I have the skill set to be a pro driver....sadly just not the bank account :)

Congrats and good luck to Leah

Fuel drivers don't need to be athletes to be competent, but they do need to be athletes to be the best drivers.

And for those that think drivers are bluffing when they look out of breath at the end.... try it sometime for yourself - it's physically demanding.

And you're not only at work for 4 seconds, usually you are in the car for 20 min+ and you have a lot going on before, during, and after the run.

I know because I've done it - both in great athletic shape and not.

Exactly. Which means one can do it while out of shape. I think many of us can recall "winning" top-end interviews with certain Top Fuel drivers who were so "plus-sized" at the time that they couldn't climb out of the car gracefully, and the mic had to be aimed inside the cockpit.

On the other hand, it has been said that the better a driver's conditioning, the quicker the reaction times. Was that your experience Marshall?

Anyway: yes, being is shape is better than not being in shape, and I think that applies to just about any endeavor. Regardless, by definition, driving a dragster isn't of itself athletic; unlike, say, sumo wrestling or something.

So should I conclude from this thread:

1. That whenever Bob states his opinion, no matter how wrong it is, that it becomes a "fact"?

2. If anyone can perform an "act" while out of shape, or "fat", that the "act" being performed cannot then be an "athletic endeavor" for anyone?

3. That Lindsey cannot tune a car?

4. That Leah is in peril?

5. That if you can move your feet while being "fat" then you override the "non athletic endeavor" theory?

6. That you cannot be an "athlete" if someone else, say a "bottom end man", is doing something more "athletic" than you?

7. That the physicality of an "act" and your level of expertise determines the ability of a participant to be labeled an "athlete"?

My opinions, these may not be facts, but are what I think: Bob is in his own dream world, Leah will do just fine, Lindsey and the crew will take care of her and do a good job, you can be an athlete no matter what your skill level or physical shape, and the whole crew of a professional drag team is an "athletic" team, with the crew chief the "coach". As in any endeavor, the better shape you are in physically, the sharper your mind will be to make decisions. Doesn't mean some one's mind cannot be sharper than yours or have more "athletic ability" even if they are in worse physical shape.

Now I can "get over it".

Winning 80 percent of the time vs. the Vegas Number in NFL and College Football is not athletic.......BUT I was I could do it.

Enough said.

Fuel drivers don't need to be athletes to be competent, but they do need to be athletes to be the best drivers.

And for those that think drivers are bluffing when they look out of breath at the end.... try it sometime for yourself - it's physically demanding.

And you're not only at work for 4 seconds, usually you are in the car for 20 min+ and you have a lot going on before, during, and after the run.

Hey Marshall, welcome to the Mater my friend!!!

So should I conclude from this thread:

1. That whenever Bob states his opinion, no matter how wrong it is, that it becomes a "fact"?

2. If anyone can perform an "act" while out of shape, or "fat", that the "act" being performed cannot then be an "athletic endeavor" for anyone?

3. That Lindsey cannot tune a car?

4. That Leah is in peril?

5. That if you can move your feet while being "fat" then you override the "non athletic endeavor" theory?

6. That you cannot be an "athlete" if someone else, say a "bottom end man", is doing something more "athletic" than you?

7. That the physicality of an "act" and your level of expertise determines the ability of a participant to be labeled an "athlete"?

My opinions, these may not be facts, but are what I think: Bob is in his own dream world, Leah will do just fine, Lindsey and the crew will take care of her and do a good job, you can be an athlete no matter what your skill level or physical shape, and the whole crew of a professional drag team is an "athletic" team, with the crew chief the "coach". As in any endeavor, the better shape you are in physically, the sharper your mind will be to make decisions. Doesn't mean some one's mind cannot be sharper than yours or have more "athletic ability" even if they are in worse physical shape.

Now I can "get over it".

Virgil this has nothing to do with Leah, I have no doubt she will do just fine!
I hope she makes the field I doubt it but hope she does.
The athlete part was in reference to Ashley winning the hottest athlete and that is what I was refering to.
The better the shape your in makes your mind sharper right tell that to Steven Hawkings! LOL
The fact that I was refering to was that Drivers ARE NOT ATHLETES it is not an athletic endeavor. I never said an athlete couldn't drive and being in shape doesn't mean your an athlete. Comprehension slipping a little Virgil? :rolleyes:

Hey Marshall, good to see you on here. Take it from a guy that's landed a top fuel car in the grass on the wrong side of the wall at 300 MPH.

Last edited:
So I guess what you guys and gals are really saying that moving a cold beer from the table to the mouth doesnt take much athletic skill?????:):rolleyes:;)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back