Larry Spiderman Mcbride Jaw Dropper... (1 Viewer)

Years ago, when my brother worked for Kallitta.......my son and I were fortunate enough to be given passes to the Kallitta suites at Dallas. The fuel bikes were running and we watched a session from basically straight behind them. I guess I knew with the front wheel in the air that they had to guide with body english only.........but until I saw it from behind, I never truely appreciated how much they have to move......and how far!!!!! Also interesting was to notice who all came to watch them run. Most if not all the TF & FC guys were there and really loved it. :D

That was how Larry got the "Spiderman" nickname, from the way he would have to crawl around all over some of those earlier bikes he rode.

Jay

Hi everyone ! This is my first post on this site, and I have to say I like what I've seen on here. Great bunch of people !
Glad to see some Top Fuel Bike fans on the site. I love Top Fuel Bikes and am also a good friend of Larry and his brother Steve. Here is a current shot of Larry's bike in Valdosta where he ran the current ET record. He actually got out of the groove on the big end and had some tire spin which showed in the MPH on the pass. He's been as fast as 248 mph....

potw030508.jpg

Here's another shot of him moving his weight around to get the bike to go where he wants....hence the nick name "Spiderman"

08valdosta_TF_mcbride.jpg

For those in the Atlanta, Ga. area, The Top Fuel bikes will be there in Commerce For the "Elmer Trett Nationals" April 5-6th.

Hi everyone ! This is my first post on this site, and I have to say I like what I've seen on here. Great bunch of people !
Glad to see some Top Fuel Bike fans on the site. I love Top Fuel Bikes and am also a good friend of Larry and his brother Steve. Here is a current shot of Larry's bike in Valdosta where he ran the current ET record. He actually got out of the groove on the big end and had some tire spin which showed in the MPH on the pass. He's been as fast as 248 mph....

*******Way to make your first post count. Great pics!!

I believe the Sorcerer had two engines, mounted opposite each other with a blower in between them, so it was kind of like a V8. The triple was before that. Wild, wild bikes. I remember seeing all those guys at Indy, including Terry Vance on his wild streamlined Suzuki. It's amazing that the PS bikes are now quicker than the TF bikes of that era.

My oh my!

How in the hell can this NOT be a class at the big show. Fans would be all over that wouldn't they?
That same day in Houston when McBride ran the 5.99, there were a total of 4 Fuel Bikes there. During the 2nd round of their show, one of them exploded the transmission on the burnout, and also a large chunk of his leg. I remember he just stopped and fell forward on the bike, and one of the girls on his crew ran up and looked down at his leg began screeming her lungs out. The ambulance hauled him off, and Graham told the rest of the bikes right then to go back to the pits. No more Nitro Bikes that weekend.:cool:

That same day in Houston when McBride ran the 5.99, there were a total of 4 Fuel Bikes there. During the 2nd round of their show, one of them exploded the transmission on the burnout, and also a large chunk of his leg. I remember he just stopped and fell forward on the bike, and one of the girls on his crew ran up and looked down at his leg began screeming her lungs out. The ambulance hauled him off, and Graham told the rest of the bikes right then to go back to the pits. No more Nitro Bikes that weekend.:cool:

I remember that too Lance. I dont remember his name but I remember it taking a chunk out of his left leg if I'm not mistaken.

That was Ron Webb on the "Fire and Ice" Bike. I was there with Larry that weekend. If I remember right, it was the chain that broke, not the tranny. The chain also broke the chain guard, which is what they think caused the cut across his leg.

Here is a pic of Ron on the "Fire and Ice" bike...
photo_bike_atl_300.jpg

Last edited:
I believe the Sorcerer had two engines, mounted opposite each other with a blower in between them, so it was kind of like a V8. The triple was before that. Wild, wild bikes. I remember seeing all those guys at Indy, including Terry Vance on his wild streamlined Suzuki. It's amazing that the PS bikes are now quicker than the TF bikes of that era.

Of course, I'd forgotten that. Thank you. Wasn't the triple the 'Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe', or some such? Or is my memory faulty there too?

Of course, I'd forgotten that. Thank you. Wasn't the triple the 'Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe', or some such? Or is my memory faulty there too?
Robin, you nailed it with the Atchison, Topeka and the Santa Fe T/F Bike. This bike was owned by Russ Collins, had three Honda four cyl. motors between the framerails and was one bad M/F. Thanks for the memories!!!:D

That was Ron Webb on the "Fire and Ice" Bike. I was there with Larry that weekend. If I remember right, it was the chain that broke, not the tranny. The chain also broke the chain guard, which is what they think caused the cut across his leg.

Here is a pic of Ron on the "Fire and Ice" bike...
photo_bike_atl_300.jpg

For anyone who ever complains about how many miles you put on in a season-this guy has you beat. Hes out of Alaska-and the bike is (was?) based out of Okalahma. He ran Prostar-all the tracks are in a triangle from Indy to Atco to Gainsville. in '92 I was helping someone over from Germany with his bike at Atco. He had traveled LESS miles than Ron!

For anyone who ever complains about how many miles you put on in a season-this guy has you beat. Hes out of Alaska-and the bike is (was?) based out of Okalahma. He ran Prostar-all the tracks are in a triangle from Indy to Atco to Gainsville. in '92 I was helping someone over from Germany with his bike at Atco. He had traveled LESS miles than Ron!

Ron Webb has a snow removal, and road paving buisness in Alaska. A guy named " Big Carl " (who has since passed)from Oklahoma, took care of and serviced Ron's bike for him. Ron would fly in to the races.

Since Big Carl passed, I'm not sure whats going on with the bike, or if Ron even has plans to keep on racing it.

I went by Larry's shop today, and asked him about Ron. He said he hasn't heard anything from him.

On a side note, Larry and Steve were working on a Top Fuel "three wheeled" sand dragger with paddle tires. Talking about a wild looking piece.... that thing takes the cake !
It's going to be interesting to see how that thing turns out. A guy from Louisiana/Alabama area is the owner. It will have the same type motor set-up Larry runs on his bike. They supposedly run it on a 300' track that is a sand/clay mix.

TJ

Just curious? Would the front tire/wheel act like a rudder at all? Do you lean? (My fault. After replying to something on the first page, I read from the top of the last page. The middle pages would have answered this for me) Or, is the run just straight or not straight.

Could the helmets be better shaped for what they do? I'd like to see a top end pic to compare to the one above.

I hope one of those folks never loses their grip at that MPH. They could go up like we've seen funny car bodies do.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back