Langdon, no sponsor next year? (1 Viewer)

Maybe Shawn needs to put his bracket cars away and dedicate himself to developing sponsorship that lives with him, instead of depending on teams to hire him for his now class average leaving skills. The secret to longevity in pro drag racing is not starting line talent, but boardroom talent.

the secret to longevity in drag racing is having rich parents and that is a little hard to control, when your the kid!

Maybe Shawn needs to put his bracket cars away and dedicate himself to developing sponsorship that lives with him, instead of depending on teams to hire him for his now class average leaving skills. The secret to longevity in pro drag racing is not starting line talent, but boardroom talent.

Have you ever listened to Shawn and JR Todd's podcast, Nomex Effect? I think that he is putting himself out there. Maybe not in the boardroom, but he is creating a public presence that should be attractive to the suits? I hope all is well with you and Tiger!

boardroom talent? there's plenty of that out there, with no results. what part of the line should shawn get in? in front of or behind tony schumacher, alan johnson, larry dixon, and many, many others.
no tv audience = no sponsors. it's that flippin' simple. if michael jordan were driving a TF'r, no one would care one bit more. it's a rich person's game. i appreciate the small guys like joon and haddock,
but at some point what is the object of the exercise? hello?

This was posted by Steve Bryson of Global Electronic Technologies. Sounds like they will be back next year.

Attachments

• 46B411B7-20F9-4F5A-A630-36312A20B3FD.png
    46B411B7-20F9-4F5A-A630-36312A20B3FD.png
    195.7 KB · Views: 119
but he didn't say what team he'd be back with
exactly, as the word 'pivot' insinuates?.......will stick with my earlier prediction. the sponsor will remain with shawn, the car will get longer, and a 1 car team will become 2.

exactly, as the word 'pivot' insinuates?.......will stick with my earlier prediction. the sponsor will remain with shawn, the car will get longer, and a 1 car team will become 2.

Which one car team is he going to?

Hi Jeff. Things are good here in SoCal.
Drag Racing in general has a horrible record of selling itself to corporate America. Kenny Bernstein showed the sport how to do it, and they didn't learn from him. He would be an excellent choice for the empty NHRA BOD seat.

Have you ever listened to Shawn and JR Todd's podcast, Nomex Effect? I think that he is putting himself out there. Maybe not in the boardroom, but he is creating a public presence that should be attractive to the suits? I hope all is well with you and Tiger!

Doing 2 podcasts a year is no way to cultivate an audience that you can sell in the boardroom. I had a lot of hope for that podcast (from an entertainment and information perspective), but man have they dropped the ball on that one.

As I said much earlier Global wants or wanted a fuel dragster. That's what they started with and circumstances changed and they agreed to a funny car. Again I have no inside knowledge but don't be surprised to see them along with perhaps Shawn in the Alan Johnson, Mike Salinis (?) camp next year.

You maybe on to something here, as the Global logo has been on the wing of the Salinas TF car most of the season. My only speculation is if Langdon will be the wheel man considering Salinas has a daughter that is looking to make the jump up to TF. Langdon does however have a successful history with AJ, so time will tell.

As I said much earlier Global wants or wanted a fuel dragster. That's what they started with and circumstances changed and they agreed to a funny car. Again I have no inside knowledge but don't be surprised to see them along with perhaps Shawn in the Alan Johnson, Mike Salinis (?) camp next year.
I've always heard that it was the other way around. Global wanted to be on a FC, that's why they took Langdon and put a roof over his head?

You maybe on to something here, as the Global logo has been on the wing of the Salinas TF car most of the season. My only speculation is if Langdon will be the wheel man considering Salinas has a daughter that is looking to make the jump up to TF. Langdon does however have a successful history with AJ, so time will tell.
i mentioned this on october 8th in the 'alexis is back' thread......it's just a guess, and only a guess. i have no inside information........mike salinas is no spring chicken. he has had the opportunity to compete and win in the class he has admired since he was young. what an amazing accomplishment......now what's next for him and his team? well, he has announced his daughter will move up. what if and when his daughter moves up, she has a still somewhat youthful, yet championship caliber driver to mentor from and race with as a teammate? again, only a personal opinion, but i don't think we're going to see mike driving for many more years. maybe only one or two more.

There has been a lot of talk around here that Mike has had serious talks with the Bowsers about taking over Famoso (Auto Club Raceway). It was supposedly a done deal but is now on hold I think since final money details (negotations) are a problem. Famoso has been a backup track for Pomona since the area down there has been trying to shut them down forever and NHRA has held the Master lease with Auto Club sinage. Kern County Airports owns the property and there is not much of a chance that it will be taken over by real estate building since that property is designated as auxilary space for military aircraft storage in case it is needed and it is between the Oil Patch and Agriculture. Salinas has both the money and skills to make Famoso a Bruton Smith caliber facility. Also - being an owner as well as Pro driver with family that races he knows the racers side of things as well as the business side.

I've always heard that it was the other way around. Global wanted to be on a FC, that's why they took Langdon and put a roof over his head?

I know Alan disagrees with me on this and without a doubt he's better informed than I am BUT sometime back I participated (uh...listened) in a group conversation with some people who are at least as close and knowledgeable as Alan. They said in no uncertain terms that the Global people wanted to go back to TF and would when their contract expired. Of course things sometimes change rapidly. Me, I'm just an old guy who used to participate in nitro classes many many years ago and gets to hang around and is sometimes tolerated because of that. I only know what I hear and know nothin for sure. I sure wouldn't quote anyone by name and that's why I always put a disclaimer on anything I might post.

Amanda Busick interviewed Salinas earlier this year and he talked about wanting to race a Pro stock bike with his daughter. Maybe he will put Langdon in his TF dragster with Global and AJ and go race Pro Stock with his daughter.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back