Kurt Busch (1 Viewer)

When fans wonder why more and more areas of sports venues become restricted from them, it is because of IDIOTS like the one with the cell phone recording this behind the scenes scenario. None of this is his business and he should not have any rights to record or publish this anywhere. If you are having trouble understanding Kurt's situation and his reaction, then you are probably also having trouble understanding why you will never be in his position.

The attitude shown by this driver, and just about all others in similar situations in all sports, is what propels them to take their god given talents to a level that is attained by very few in this world. Some hide their emotions in public better than others, and have perfected their on screen "persona" to give the illusion of being civil, but this burning fire is in the gut of all of them and it doesn't take much to bring it to the surface.

Shortly after competitors lose this fire they quit their profession and move on to their next passion.

And on a related subject, I am tired of people having to apologize for saying or doing things that some perceive as not PC. I always thought that we are in a land of freedom, and speech was one of those freedoms. In this instance, Kurt did not infringe upon anyone else's rights or freedoms, so why should he be made to apologize?

It is my opinion "Racers, Politicians, Actors, Athletes" Put themselves in positions through their talents as well as put their selves into the public realm. Given these talents they should be expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner whenever in public. Especialy because of the vast amounts of "Cell phone cameras" we have out there. If they want to throw things, rant & rave, ***** and complain then they can do it behind closed doors. But step out of the hauler, you have a job to do, FOR the people that pay you, the people that are associated with you, as well as the people that admire you.

If you can't do the job and conduct yourself professionally then step down and let someone in who can.

As an example I was a Paramedic In the Nations Capital. Do you have any Idea how many times I have been spit on, thrown up on, bled on, urinated on? And because of my position in the "public eye" I always behaved professionally. Did I ever get mad and angry, Hell Yes! but not where someone with a "cell phone camera" could record it and not in public.

You are correct It is Free country and the "Idiot" has just as much right to record it as anyone else.

Do the job correctly or get out! There is no excuse!

Last edited:
Both Alan and Virgil bring logic and common sense to their posts (as usual). On a bigger scale, while we are in the land of the free, technology has made it very tough to have privacy anymore. Anyone with a cell phone can take your picture, video, and record you, and have it on the internet in no time.

When fans wonder why more and more areas of sports venues become restricted from them, it is because of IDIOTS like the one with the cell phone recording this behind the scenes scenario. None of this is his business and he should not have any rights to record or publish this anywhere. If you are having trouble understanding Kurt's situation and his reaction, then you are probably also having trouble understanding why you will never be in his position.

The attitude shown by this driver, and just about all others in similar situations in all sports, is what propels them to take their god given talents to a level that is attained by very few in this world. Some hide their emotions in public better than others, and have perfected their on screen "persona" to give the illusion of being civil, but this burning fire is in the gut of all of them and it doesn't take much to bring it to the surface.

Shortly after competitors lose this fire they quit their profession and move on to their next passion.

And on a related subject, I am tired of people having to apologize for saying or doing things that some perceive as not PC. I always thought that we are in a land of freedom, and speech was one of those freedoms. In this instance, Kurt did not infringe upon anyone else's rights or freedoms, so why should he be made to apologize?

Well that's just like me saying..

My road rage makes me the most competitive driver on the highway! I have a god given talent to drive better than 95% of the people on the road and they just don't understand it. Someone should give me a ride in a NASCAR car.. I could do great things!

:D;):p:eek:

Speaking of cameras catching things they maybe shouldn't... I remember when ESPN caught Rhonda and John Smith yelling at Jack Ostrander at the top end of U.S. 41 Raceway back in 1994 at the IHRA Summer Nationals after being "burned down" on the starting line. It was pretty entertaining.

How many more times are we going to hear the standard boiler plate response.?

Penske Racing extends its apologies to Dr. Jerry Punch, our media partners and our sponsors and fans for Kurt Busch's inappropriate actions in Homestead on Sunday. These actions do not represent Penske Racing and are inconsistent with the company's standards for behavior, respect for others and professionalism. This matter is being reviewed internally with no further comment at this time.(Penske Racing)(11-22-2011)

OR

(Insert Race team name here) Racing extends its apologies to (Insert Name here), our media partners and our sponsors and fans for (Insert Driver Name here)inappropriate actions in (Insert race way here) on Sunday. These actions do not represent (Insert Race team name here) Racing and are inconsistent with the company's standards for behavior, respect for others and professionalism. This matter is being reviewed internally with no further comment at this time.((Insert Race team name here Racing)(Insert date here)

OR What it Should Be

Penske Racing extends its apologies to Dr. Jerry Punch, our media partners and our sponsors and fans for Kurt Busch's inappropriate actions in Homestead on Sunday. These actions do not represent Penske Racing and are inconsistent with the company's standards for behavior, respect for others and professionalism.

Kurt Busch has been relieved of his duties and contract without any further compensation. We wish Mr. Busch the best in his future endeavors. We will have no further comment at this time.(Penske Racing)(11-22-2011)

John, you make an excellent point even if it isn't the point you were trying to get across. That point being; this situation is between Kurt and his sponsor. If the sponsor deems Kurt’s behavior unacceptable as a representative of their company then they can/will/should take action. Other than that SO WHAT! Kurt used foul language at a RACE TRACK and in his PIT. Big F'n deal. It's not like he clocked the guy over the head with a breaker bar. I don't get the uproar because he wasn't PC. Welcome to the REAL world.

Speaking of cameras catching things they maybe shouldn't... I remember when ESPN caught Rhonda and John Smith yelling at Jack Ostrander at the top end of U.S. 41 Raceway back in 1994 at the IHRA Summer Nationals after being "burned down" on the starting line. It was pretty entertaining.

I remember that and the ESPN telecasts ran with it for all its worth because it added emotion and personality to the racers. Don't condone either Busch's comments or actions, but they sure make NASCAR a lot more entertaining. Give me a racer that shows his/her emotions on their sleves anyday over the politically correct, emotionless robots that are often out there. No wonder some of my favorite racers over the years have been Scotty Cannon, Whit, Angelle, and others who weren't afraid to show and tell you how they felt. Of course, the fact they aren't out there racing shows us the realities of today's racing and also likely why ratings and attendance keeps falling. Even if you can't stand someone for their actions, it does keep you interested and involved in what is going on. Heck, last night I turned on the Duke basketball game just so I could root for the other team because I can't stand Duke. Think the advertisers or ESPN cared? JMHO

People seem to want it both ways: they want their sports heroes to demonstrate undying passion and aggression on the field of play, but they want them to appear normal, rational, and calm within seconds of that. There are some people who can do that, who have a "switch" that they can just turn on and turn off. But I know I'm not one of them. When I get pumped up it takes me many minutes, if not hours to flush the adrenalin from my system and for me to be someone you'd want to interview on camera. Catch me just after a loss and I promise you'd need a carefully worded press release to cover my tracks...

The Hornaday incident is fresh on everyone's mind and it appears that both Buschs, in this case, are being painted with the same brush. I don't think anyone would argue about how arrogant Kyle Busch is, but so was Tony Stewart at one time, and the fans ate it up.

Kurt's outburst looked bad and calling the cameraman a MF was pretty unclassy. But as pointed out, it was in Busch's own pit, right after what had to have been a disappointing mechanical failure, and Kurt had no idea he was being filmed.

Those of us who aren't professional racers, or someone who interacts with them on a regular basis like Reinhart, probably aren't qualified to comment on how these guys are supposed to act.

Well that's just like me saying..

My road rage makes me the most competitive driver on the highway! I have a god given talent to drive better than 95% of the people on the road and they just don't understand it. Someone should give me a ride in a NASCAR car.. I could do great things!

:D;):p:eek:

It is your opinion that you are "better than 95%" not a proven fact. And when people only have enough passion to impress themselves, they sit back and expect someone to "give" them a "ride".

Where those with true talent and the passion to hone that talent, they are willing to do what is necessary to prove their superiority in their chosen field. They do not wait, or expect, someone else to give them anything.

Back to Kurt, he had a mechanical failure on the track, went to his garage and got further discouraging news. He was walking from the garage area to his "safe haven", his hauler, and on the way was asked to do an interview. He was willing, waited for what he said was 10 minutes with a camera stuck in his face. He asked if they could tape the interview and was told they wanted it live, and he said he was ready to do that 10 minutes earlier. At that time the producer told Dr Punch never mind, probably because they were not going to get to it for several minutes or more and he could see the frustration level in Kurt's actions elevating. I see nothing that Kurt did that was wrong in that situation.

As far as the guy recording it by cell phone, he will be the one whining the most when he, or many others, no longer have access to those areas in the future. He may have the right but I feel it is totally unethical.

I bet 90% of all Pro drivers have had "Off Camera" episodes similar to this one, only problem is we haven't seen them via a cellphone! I bet a lot of drivers are gonna be looking over there shoulder off camera after this!

Last edited:
People seem to want it both ways: they want their sports heroes to demonstrate undying passion and aggression on the field of play, but they want them to appear normal, rational, and calm within seconds of that. There are some people who can do that, who have a "switch" that they can just turn on and turn off. But I know I'm not one of them. When I get pumped up it takes me many minutes, if not hours to flush the adrenalin from my system and for me to be someone you'd want to interview on camera. Catch me just after a loss and I promise you'd need a carefully worded press release to cover my tracks...

Somebody mark this historic date. I agree with Chris!

You want emotional drivers, but not if they're going to be to emotional. You want passion it your sport, but they need to be able to turn it on and off.

Does Kurt wish it hadn't happened? I'm sure he does. Had it not been made public, would he have found both Dr. Punch and the cameraman to apologize later I'm sure he would have.

John Farr,

Are you saying that after one of those instances you never said to a co-worker or spouse that you hated getting spit on and you wished you could just leave the SOB by the side of the road? If somone had taped your "Private" outburst and put it on the web how would you feel? I can tell you that if I got fired everytime I was upset and said something that wasn't supposed to be public I would be living under a bridge. And I have many times made apologies for a heat of the moment response that was just that, heat of the moment.

Alan

As a fan, that guy paid A LOT of money for that level of garage access at a NASCAR event. In doing so I do feel he has the right to photograph or videotape the various events of his day, unless he is instructed otherwise by NASCAR officials. Kurt has no expected rights of privacy anywhere a fan can go.

As a fan at the track, I have no expected rights of privacy in the stands, the concourse, pit road etc. And if there was a video of a fan being a buffoon by the haulers, no one would have any problem with that video being posted on youtube.

Chris,

In that case, the difference as I see it is that you are in my "locker room" I'm not in yours.

Alan

Guys that was NOT an ESPN interview. It was Kurt waiting for one. He is Pissed about his car, he doesn’t want to talk, Jerry says can I get a minute? Kurt says OK. Then he is made to wait. And he is venting, not on camera (he thinks) but he is made to look bad.

If you had any idea how many of our drivers have told Gary G. “How F…ing long are you gonna make me stand here? You wouldn’t believe it. If I recorded everything that was said before and after an interview I could retire. But the people I work with trust me and I do the same with them. If I have a bad day and tell my friend that “my boss is the dumbest SOB and a blind monkey could do a better job” he knows I am blowing off steam, and he isn’t going to call my boss and tell him what I said. I GUARANTEE you that Dr. Punch, doesn’t hold a grudge against Kurt, he knows the pressures and the stresses Kurt is under that’s why he let him go. So he wouldn’t explode on camera and look bad to the world. I have many times, told guys “I’ll catch you later” and given them a chance to cool down. That’s what Jerry was doing for Kurt. And I’m sure Kurt has thanked him for it.

Have you ever slammed down a phone and said to yourself “that’s the dumbest F…ing guy on the planet” or read an email and said “Are these F…ing morons for real?

I ask you this, if I put a camera on you, at work, all day every day would you want me to pick out the part where you were blowing off steam to show the word what kind of person you are? I know I wouldn’t.

Alan

Bingo Alan. Nothing wrong with somebody being natural. I'm so sick of the PC interviews and quotes from drivers and people. Give me this anyday over " It's a shame our (enter sponsor here) car was running good and those guys are a great team over there and I wish them luck " When you know he wants to cuss and hopes they lose the next round.

Bingo Alan. Nothing wrong with somebody being natural. I'm so sick of the PC interviews and quotes from drivers and people. Give me this anyday over " It's a shame our (enter sponsor here) car was running good and those guys are a great team over there and I wish them luck " When you know he wants to cuss and hopes they lose the next round.

Great call. I guess some ppl can't handle controversy and fun and entertainment.

Hell, Line up 43 Jimmie Johnson's on Sunday.

IN all these posts i have not seen or mention what was said to Kurt right before he goes off... unless i missed it....

Punch told Kurt a piece of his tranny went through the grill of Tony Stewarts car... so not only is Kurt pissed he is out early..but he might, at the time, have caused Tony an issue that could take away his chances for the title.. it didnt ..but at that time no one knew for sure....

what he did was off base..but not sure if i would not of acted the same way.. out of the last race early ... and being told my issuessome thing out of my control, might have ended some one elses chances at a title...

Billy

Outside’a the PNW “locals; Kahne and Biffle, the Bush boys are my favorites. No fun rootin’ for the same folks as everyone else…

You may, or may not like them, but digital recording devices are out there, most people have them, and they're NOT going away anytime soon. They're here to stay. That's called reality.

So.

Kurt spouted off because he was having a bad day at the track. His car broke early in the race, he was in a foul mood. I understand all that, and can understand his reaction to that whole deal. He's got a couple of gallons of adrenalin in him, he's frustrated, pi$$ed, and wants to get to the hauler to cool off. I get all of that, and I for one am not all that bothered by this incident. Heck, I've heard worse at family get togethers. Plus, I’m sure that Dr Punch, and others in his profession have probably developed some pretty thick skin over the years. If they haven’t, they need to find another line of work.

On the other hand, these guys are in what The Professor WJ once called the "Engineering Entertainment" industry. That means Kurt, and all of the other drivers out there have to know that, unless they're in the hauler, with the door shut, they're "On." They HAVE to know that if they're in an area of the track that the public has access to, there's a VERY real possibility someone's going to be standing around with one of devices switched on and ready to go if the owner sees something interesting. The only way that can be stopped is to officially ban all phones and cameras from the pit area. Then search all the fans entering that area, confiscating any phones or recorders that are found. That's NOT going to happen, and everyone, drivers included, knows that.

So while I understand Kurt’s reaction, I don’t have any particular sympathy for him either, because he knows darn good and well those recorders are out there, and that something like this incident WILL find it’s way to YouTube or some other video sharing site for all the world to see.

As much as you may or may not like it, that’s called reality.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back