Kudos to Bruton Smith. (1 Viewer)

Gordon

Nitro Member
As I watched the Bud Shootout and qualifying I kept asking myself, "Self, isn't Las Vegas owned by Bruton Smith?" Of course I found myself answering in the afirmative.

Then I asked myself, "Doesn't he also own Bristol - another track once famous for it's 'bump(s)'?" Again came a yes.

Then I started wondering rather than asking, primarily because talking to myself was beginning to scare me, whether or not we were going to have to see another car ripped to shreds to make the necessary changes to eliminate the bumps.

Lo and behold, Dave Reiff interviewed one of Bruton's personnel (sorry, I missed the name - probably due to the ongoing conversation in my head) and he described that, 1) they knew about the problem, 2) they had every intention of fixing it, and 3) gave an outstanding reason as to why they waited, which was primarily so the data the crews had on the track would still be usable during the home stretch of the points chases & they'd have it completed prior to testing so they could re-establish baselines prior to the new season.

It's great to see how much Bruton cares about our racers and the product he provides for them to race on! Thanks Bruton!

At the Vegas race two yrs ago I remember watching Dixons car from the east grandstand(tv camera side) during friday night qualifying bow up really high right after it hit the bump, for a split second I thought it was gonna jacknive. Their have been some PSCA cars get loose because of it also.

I think Bruton owns Bristol, Vegas, and Sears Point. They all have the similar suites above the grandstands.

You may not be wanting the long explanation of the problem but it is due to the cross-under for foot traffic (the location of the bump.)
It is constructed completely of concrete and over 10 feet high immediately under the track's surface. Due to expansion and contraction differences of the compacted base course material under most of the track and the solid concrete under the track at the location of the crossing structure there is always a greater deal of motion at the point of the structure underneath. In the coldest times of the year, it is actually a dip and in the extreme heat it is a more emphasized bump.
Simply grinding the surface to create an even track height with the track's surface prior and after the structure would be effective only at the time/temperature/conditions of the track at the time of the grinding. Later that season or even later that evening the surface would experience change again. This could be partially cured by either removing the cross-under structure or tearing it out and lowering it six feet or so to allow a consistent base course to exist beneath the entire track. Either option would have very expensive consequences.

The quick fix is to let the tuners do their job and tune to this track like they do for every other track? I'd opt for that option myself and continue to keep Bruton Smith at the top of my hero list of track owners?
That's just me though?

The quick fix is to let the tuners do their job and tune to this track like they do for every other track? I'd opt for that option myself and continue to keep Bruton Smith at the top of my hero list of track owners? That's just me though?

Normally I would agree with you Bobby, but I recall something Alan Johnson said after Cory Mac's scary crash in Bristol. He mentioned that it appears the only places on the tour the Top Fuel cars seem to be in trouble with the chassis flexing are the tracks with bumps. If we know there's a bump at Vegas, I opt to fix it BEFORE someone gets hurt, not after - regardless of the cost.

Raceway Associates owns the biggest stake in Route 66 raceway.....which is prolly the biggest problem with the facility.....:confused:

I heard Bruton was buying NHRA....

KIDDING....Couldn't resist ... That rumor has kind of gone away hasn't it ?

I was wondering about the effect of the cross under tunnel on the track every time I walked under it this weekend at LVMS. I was having some kind of flashback to watching a race on TV and they talked about the tunnel...in fact it may have been the spring Vegas race coverage.

I am hoping to go back in April for Vegas I because apparently October is a terrible time to travel for the hubby (oops) and a busy weekend in Vegas, too. So, it will be interesting, if possible, to make comparisons.

TO BE ANNOUNCED AT INDY[/Smith will announce he is running for President in 2008 with Don Schumacher as his running mate. If they win son Tony will become Secretary of Defense, Gary B] Bruton Scelzi press secretary, Jim Jannard Commerce Secretary, Shaun Carlson Secretary of Engineering.Chief strategist Alan Johnson will be heading up the campaign.

opps I couldn't resist either:p :p

He's aleady got his own money. When you go out of a bracket race at Bristol you get a five dollar "Bruton Bucks" bill good toward your next entry. If someone who knows how to post it here will PM me their e-mail address, I'll scan one and send it to you.

I am hoping to go back in April for Vegas I because apparently October is a terrible time to travel for the hubby (oops) and a busy weekend in Vegas, too. So, it will be interesting, if possible, to make comparisons.
Vegas I is better imo because they run the alky cars at that event.

I sure wish NHRA would let Bruton Smith get a hold of IRP! That place remains a Dump! The only upgrades I can think of are the Tower suites over those West-side Stands. That 6' wide crossover Bridge is a Joke! Norwalk and Chi-town put IRP to shame!:confused:

Last edited:
This past April the 80's were a little warm. If I'm remembering correctly. I know we, and the folks around us bought quite a few of the buckets of ice and bottled water.

Only if we can get all of the tracks to contact Rt. 66 and use their vendors to repave every other track to match Rt. 66 since it is one of the smoothest surfaces on tour.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back