Knowles Ends Troubled Season On a High Note (1 Viewer)

Grand Junction, CO – A wrecked primary car, an engine program change, a tuner change along with the struggles of running a business are a few of the things that have weighed on Mike Knowles' mind this season. Those problems all but vanished from Knowles' memory this past weekend.

Ending 2008 with a runner-up finish at the final event of the 2008 Jeg's Pro Mod Challenge made all of this season's trials and tribulations a bit easier for Colorado's Mike Knowles. "We've had a fantastic run these past few races," said Knowles "Getting our first five in Virginia and our performance this weekend really made our season," added Knowles.

The Jeg's series has quickly become the premier Pro Mod series on the planet and sometimes just qualifying for an event can become a feat in itself; Knowles found that out as he squeaked into the Vegas field on his final try. Entering the final session Knowles was holding onto the bump with a 6.18. While he improved to a 6.16 on his final attempt Knowles was unable to improve on the 16th qualifying position.

By virtue of qualifying in the final spot he was paired with number one qualifier Raymond Commisso. On paper Commisso held over a tenth and a half advantage, but drag races aren't run on paper. The first round saw Knowles take the win with a 6.12 to Commisso's slower 6.19. Round two was a close race between Knowles and Californian, Kirk Kuhns. Knowles was able to take the win with a 6.07 to Kuhns' 6.09. In the semi-finals Knowles' "Blown Money" Vette squared off with Tommy Gray and his "Undertaker" Camaro. Gray posted an impressive 6.08 but it wasn't enough to take out Knowles; who lit up the boards with a 6.03. The win over Gray put Knowles into his first final of the season.

With consistent sub one-second 60-foot times combined with Knowles' string of quick reaction times the "Blown Money" team felt confident heading into their pairing with recently crowned two-time series champ, Josh Hernandez. "Josh has a great team over there, one of the best in the business, but we've made progress in our program and we think we'll have something for them" said Knowles. "No matter what happens the fans are the winners here. Think about it. Al Billes vs. Jim Oddy. I don't care who you are; if you're a doorslammer fan this is a big one."

As the tree came down both drivers had phenomenal reaction times, Knowles with a .015 and Hernandez with a .016. Unfortunately that's as close as Knowles got to defeating Hernandez as Hernandez took the stripe with a 6.00 to Knowles' 6.04.

"This was a fantastic way to end this year," said Knowles. "The only thing better would've been getting the win against Josh in the final. I mean come on; this car has the Vegas theme all over it, " added a jubilant Knowles.

No matter who you are in this sport a driver is only as good as the people around him and Mike Knowles feels he has his supporters to thank for his recent change in luck. "Our performance these last few races is a testament to my tuner and my chassis builder. Four races ago we were 24th in points; we finished 12th. Al (Billes) came to our team late in the season and quickly gelled with my guys. His expertise as a tuner is well documented and I'm proud to have him on my side. Tim McAmis built me one heck of a car and his customer service is second to none, whenever I had a question he was there for me, both as a mentor and a friend. Both Al and Tim have a wealth of experience in their fields, not to mention both of their experience behind the wheel. Being able to tap into their knowledge was invaluable," said Knowles

"I have the greatest group of guys on my team and I can't thank them enough for all of the hard work they've put in this year. The troubles that we've gone through this year have caused us to become a better team. Billy (Rice), Mike and Justin (Reiger), and Bobbie (Knowles) always do what ever is needed and still have the time to make sure the car looks great for it's next run. They take pride in our performance and our image. That type of professionalism is what makes good teams become great. Mike and Jeff Strasburg of B&J transmission always go the extra mile and put in the extra effort, even if it means bringing their entire fuel team over to help out in tight spots. I can't thank B&J transmissions, along with the entire Strasburg family enough for everything they do for this team."

When your pursuing a lifetime passion, support from one's friends and family is essential. Luckily, Mike Knowles has such people in his life. "I couldn't do any of this without the support of my wife, Kim, and my boy, Zach. Their support along with the help I get from the people whom I work with day in and day out allow me to live a dream," said Knowles.

With the way the season ended for Knowles and his "Blown Money" team one can easily put them on the short list as contenders for the Jeg's Pro Mod Challenge title in 2009.

Knowles Racing consists of:
Driver: Mike Knowles
Tuner: Al Billes
Crew: Billy Rice, Mike and Justin Reiger, Jeff and Mike Strasburg, and Bobbie Knowles

Knowles Racing Competes on the NHRA circuit in the Jegs ProMod Challenge Series.

Photo By: Tim McAmis Race Cars

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back