Kate Harker Crash (1 Viewer)

Just a Little info on the crash, I sprayed Halon into the Injectors after Moving her hand Off the Handle, I pushed the fuel Shut Off and it Kept running for about 20 Seconds, I to am very glad she is OK, When i pulled out on the track on the Emergency Quad, She was aimed right at me and I changed Lanes to the far Left wall, When she Passed me I turned around and chased her down along the Left wall and ran to her to get the engine turned off,

RE: Fuel shutoff

the fuel consumption of the motor at idle and wide open throttle is night and day. they teach you as an a/f driver that if the throttle hangs, pull the fuel shutoff.

when i was crew chiefing jason cannon's afd, we had a situation where it shook so hard it bent the sliding section of the throttle cable to where it wouldn't release. so when he went to lift out of this violent shake, it kept pulling. he reached over and killed the fuel, and it shut off pretty much instantly. it shook so hard that it shook the mags off the car. upon inspection of the run on the racepak, the rpm (mags) went dead over half a second before he shut it off with the fuel. the rpm graph dropped off, but the driveshaft rpm continued to accelerate. to clarify for some of you not familiar with a racepak, engine rpm is picked up off the coil or points box, so if the ignition goes dead, the racepak doesn't see engine rpm. despite the computer not recording rpm, the motor was still running at wide open throttle on detontation with fuel. the car was still accellerating hard. when he pulled the fuel shutoff, it was almost instant.

the fuel consumption of the motor at wide open throttle is much greater than idle. an a/f motor will read 26+ gallons per minute on the flow meter at wide open, and the flow and pressure is so little at idle, it seldom registers. thats why they run so long when you pull the fuel shutoff at idle.

Just a Little info on the crash, I sprayed Halon into the Injectors after Moving her hand Off the Handle, I pushed the fuel Shut Off and it Kept running for about 20 Seconds, I to am very glad she is OK, When i pulled out on the track on the Emergency Quad, She was aimed right at me and I changed Lanes to the far Left wall, When she Passed me I turned around and chased her down along the Left wall and ran to her to get the engine turned off,

Hey Donny, as a spectator at Sonoma, I wanted to say a quick THANK YOU for all of the dedication and hard work you and your crew do every race to keep these drivers safe and us entertained. Without you guys, there would be no drag racing for us and the competitors to enjoy. :)

All part of the Job We all do, It was not just me, We all did a Great Job and took Extra Care with her as we would do with any driver Out there, Just glad she is ok.

Hey Donny, as a spectator at Sonoma, I wanted to say a quick THANK YOU for all of the dedication and hard work you and your crew do every race to keep these drivers safe and us entertained. Without you guys, there would be no drag racing for us and the competitors to enjoy. :)

I'll second that.

She looked like a bobble-head on that slow-mo shot... Shes lucky she didn't get neck problems... My neck still aches from watching it...

CJ Curtsinger

Looks like she stayed in it way to long and should have been off the throttle by 200 ft .

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back