Kalitta Toyota Solara body Debut (1 Viewer)

I think the front end looks like the nose of a late model dirt track car. :confused:

Does it need to be approved ? It is only testing - and before someone comes back with a " why would they bother testing an unapproved body " - maybe they're looking further down the track (2007?).

Mark.

If I remember correctly Shoe said it costs about $450,000-$500,000 to get a body to usable condition. This does not include tin work, spoiler or paint. Don't you think NHRA Tech. has approved Kalitta's body prior to being manufactured? The question I'd ask is why does Toyota see a benefit to having a FC body in competition while Honda sits on the sidelines and goes drifting?

Well, all I can say is it doesn't look like a Stratus, or a Monte Carlo, or a Mustang, but as far as looking like a Toyota Solara? Not even close. It might help to have some paint on it, and some painted on headlights and grille, but otherwise it just looks like some super sleek unidentifiable generic funny car body.

Well, HEY.... They gotta paint the fake grill, bumpers, headlights, etc... first!!! :D :D

Hey, I'm all for it. Frankly, something has to give. Right now they need some excitement on that team. There's too many good, seasoned, talented guys on Scott's crew - with many Wally's under thier belts - which which obviously doesn't correspond to the way thier first flopper season has gone. Nobody said it would be easy. Coming off the success of the "Jesse James" tours, everybody knows these guys are capable. Will simply a Toyota body put them in the winners circle? Highly unlikely. But I do know they are learning more with each pass, and there's no denying every person on this team knows how to win.

well said chris. moreruns more seat time for scott is whats needed. hopefully 07 will be a very good year for scott in funny car. oh yeah my post about alan and the kalitta team, i was just playing devils advocate. just imagining him with the team. that would be sweet. anyway, good luck to scott and the team no matter what body they run.

Hey, I'm all for it. Frankly, something has to give. Right now they need some excitement on that team. There's too many good, seasoned, talented guys on Scott's crew - with many Wally's under thier belts - which which obviously doesn't correspond to the way thier first flopper season has gone. Nobody said it would be easy. Coming off the success of the "Jesse James" tours, everybody knows these guys are capable. Will simply a Toyota body put them in the winners circle? Highly unlikely. But I do know they are learning more with each pass, and there's no denying every person on this team knows how to win.
I agree completely, Chris. Something needs to happen soon. It's been a long year already for those guys, and I think frustration only begins to describe their general mood. But as you pointed out, there's a lot of talent on that team. And with Jim O helping Connie and with the vast amount of knowledge coming from the Kalitta teams in general, they'll get it figured out.

They were not that successful in Top Fuel under the Jesse James banner and a Funny Car is a lot harder to tune.
They are a very talented team what they need is a top notch tuner and the pickings are slim!
I would love to see them do well but they are really struggling right now.

I think the front end looks like the nose of a late model dirt track car. :confused:

THats EXACTALLY what I was going to post. But I figured somebody beat me to it . Sure enough you did. I was looking for all the pop rivits holding the front end together like the dirt trackers do.

Last edited:
They messed up the body in Norwalk last night and ran the Monte Carlo today.

An odd side note: Kalitta got to the finals against Densham and rain postponed the event until Monday so they've split the purse and no winner will be named.

Man, Scott has had some bad luck with new bodies.
Bummer.
Does anybody know if the NHRA regular attendee cars need any changes to compete at IHRA events? (sanctioning body requirements)
Or can they run them with all the same hardware?

I was at Norwalk on Friday. A couple people mentioned "dirt track" type styling. That is a great explanation. I didn't care for it but then again it wasn't painted. I'll have to wait and see.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back