Just like ESPN (1 Viewer)

fatcat

Nitro Member
Come snooping on here tonight thinking I might see some outrage about the 29 minute , suppose to be 1 hour qualifying show. Not the case, guess no one cares about being overrun by some lame ass 5th tier college baseball game.

Yea its like espn 2 all over again,except espn got the sound right. IMO espn was much better.

Hey it's 4-Wide what do you expect? Everything has to be confusing and out of the ordinary, right down to the TV coverage.

They showed one pass of Pro Stock from the finish line, you couldn't tell who was what. Also Jason Line was in a red Summit car and Reiff kept referring to him as Greg Anderson.WOW !!

They still dont have staging lights for us tv viewers,guess thats to much for them to figure out lol

I accidentally clicked on the 2010 4-wide race on All Access and I'll admit, Paul Page & Mike Dunn was a much better show....and on ESPN

Come snooping on here tonight thinking I might see some outrage about the 29 minute , suppose to be 1 hour qualifying show. Not the case, guess no one cares about being overrun by some lame ass 5th tier college baseball game.
Women's College softball out draws men's College baseball and it out draws the lame ass show that the NHRA puts on TV.

They moved qualifying to FS2 until the program was done on FS1 then moved it back.
Works great when you set the DVR and they push back the programming and/or bump it to a different channel. :mad:
Certainly does remind me of ESPN where hot dog eating contests, spelling bees and poker games took precedence over drag racing. How much is NHRA paying Fox for the right to air them and then push them all over?

This seems to be following the same trend that was encountered with ESPN. Both started out with a lot of hoopla and hype, and good timely productions; and gradually deteriorates into the same old second rate mess.

And here is why drag racing is the red-headed bastard stepchild of television. From RACER:

"The Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series race at Dover scored a 1.69 rating and averaged 2.77 million viewers Sunday afternoon. That seemed to hold even during a rain delay, with a 1.57 and an average of 2.59 million viewers. On this weekend last year, the series was at Talladega, and earned a 3.53 with 5.9 million viewers. The race is expected to rank among FS1’s most-watched telecasts so far this year, according to SportsBusniness Journal.
The Xfinity Series scored a 0.54 rating and averaged 783,000 viewers on FS1; in 2017, just under two million tuned in to watch the series at Talladega, earning a 1.34 rating.
The NHRA Mello Yello Drag Racing Series’ Sunday morning qualifying window on FS1 drew a 0.21 and averaged 331,000 viewers; final eliminations drew a 0.59/956,000. Last year’s eliminations rated 0.24 with 378,000 viewers.
Ratings were not immediately available for Sunday’s IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship race at Mid-Ohio and the debut of the World Endurance Championship on Velocity."

Real numbers. Real facts.

Point taken: more people watch NASCAR on TV than NHRA.

However, look at the same-weekend comparisons between this year and last:

NASCAR Cup: 2017 - 5.9million; 2018 - 2.59million
Xfinity: 2017 - nearly 2million; 2018 - 783,000

NHRA elims: 2017 - 378,000; 2018 - 956,000.

Looks like NHRA is the one making the gains.

Point taken: more people watch NASCAR on TV than NHRA.

However, look at the same-weekend comparisons between this year and last:

NASCAR Cup: 2017 - 5.9million; 2018 - 2.59million
Xfinity: 2017 - nearly 2million; 2018 - 783,000

NHRA elims: 2017 - 378,000; 2018 - 956,000.

Looks like NHRA is the one making the gains.

That is one way to look at it, but the truth of the matter is whenever NHRA has NASCAR as the lead in on FS-1, like they did last weekend, the ratings are much bigger than when they have a stick and ball lead in. That is what explains the year-over-year gain from the same weekend last year. Don't get me wrong, I am happy a lot more people watched NHRA this year, and I hope they keep watching.

Understood. We only get an extremely compressed hour of post-race highlights over here, so don't see that bigger picture.

However, if NHRA were reporting drops in viewing figures like those shown by NASCAR, alarm bells would be clanging. This appears to lead on to a topic covered in a different thread here, which I am about to read.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back