Jeg, Sr. - Back In The Day (1 Viewer)

Nice video.

Hopefully Bobby will edit the accompanying CompetitionPlus story that states "his parachutes failed to deploy after a 250-mph pass". Clearly from the video, the chute deployed but was ripped away from the shroud lines causing the accident.

Fortunately Jegs was able to walk away uninjured. It is too bad that the same couldn't be said about the very similar crash a few years later involving Doug Kerhulas. If memory serves, Doug had one of the catch net poles come through his helmet's eye opening.

Nice video.

Hopefully Bobby will edit the accompanying CompetitionPlus story that states "his parachutes failed to deploy after a 250-mph pass". Clearly from the video, the chute deployed but was ripped away from the shroud lines causing the accident.

Fortunately Jegs was able to walk away uninjured. It is too bad that the same couldn't be said about the very similar crash a few years later involving Doug Kerhulas. If memory serves, Doug had one of the catch net poles come through his helmet's eye opening.

I have that race on tape, Doug was racing the "GREEK" and had the wing come apart and fall right in the lights, and it snagged the chute on the way out. There was no pole going into his eye opening. What he did have was when the car hit the net, the harness kept his body in place as much as it could, but his head and neck went way forward in the car, just about out of the front of the roll cage. I also heard at one point, the top wire on the net snapped back and hit him in the head when it was out of the cage, but that is not clear from the video.

Last edited:
the top wire on the net snapped back and hit him in the head when it was out of the cage, but that is not clear from the video.

Paul...

You are correct. I remember that the catch net had severely compounded the incident but had some of the details slightly "mis-remembered".

The couple of decades that have passed since the incident made my memory a little fuzzy (but I am sure that there was no sniper fire going on while I listened to the 8 year old girl read me a poem). :eek:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back