Is the clock ticking for Rob Flynn?? (1 Viewer)

Hot Wheels was probably a good deal at the time but for what is has been worth, I'll still stand on the Bud deal as the one BIG deal that made the rest of corporate America stand up and give drag racing a look.

I'll have to disagree with you Charlie.... If you ask Joe On The Street who's RACECAR was sponsored by Budweiser, they would say Junior, and be hard pressed to tell you the previous car and driver that flew those colors- sadly enough, KB would only be recognized in our circle.

Ask who had the Hot wheels cars and Snake and Mongoose will come back as your answer 6 times out of 10. And Mattel as a major corporation in both America and the world still carries some weight.

Hot Wheels-Revell models-CocaCola Cavalcade-Army-Navy-Air Force-Marines.
They were all some of the early money if my memory still serves me.
First "BIG" deal or not, as the single longest running sponsorship in motor sports history(read that somewhere), I'll hate to see Bud go and all that money go with them.
Maybe we should be headed back to the days of touring Pros and grudge matches between fewer national events.

It was more fun then.

Charles no one saying who CAN'T tune a Fuel car! But just about every crewchief hits a funk sooner or later, some get through it and others get released.

Joe what makes you think Rob Flynn has hit a funk? Their 5th in points right now going into the countdown and last I checked Flynn was a pretty darned good crew chief out here. Unless you've been sitting in the K.B. facility on South Point circle on Monday morning with Kenny complaining about robs performance over a cigar I would probably have to say your a little bit off.

Joe what makes you think Rob Flynn has hit a funk? Their 5th in points right now going into the countdown and last I checked Flynn was a pretty darned good crew chief out here. Unless you've been sitting in the K.B. facility on South Point circle on Monday morning with Kenny complaining about robs performance over a cigar I would probably have to say your a little bit off.

In a nornal season like a few short years ago, you may be right, but not now.
Money availability is short, if not totally gone. The sport is in flux with this necessary joke of a race track at 1,000'. Unfortunatly, this 1000' barrier looks like it's here to stay because it's the best option. The future is not bright at all, in fact, it worries me that this particular sport may be in for an extremely rough ride over the next few years. It's also very possible this sport has hit the apex without any real chance to reclaim the interest it once had.
Look how the COT is killing Nascar. A small engine fueler wil surly KILL the NHRA.

If there was a time when a winning streak was needed to help Kenny, it's now.

Last edited:
David,
I'm not going to expect you to understand my thinking. Not a whole lot of people can. I have a tendency to look down the road a few years and work towards that prospective today. I understand that you may not see things, or interpret the world the way I do.
Should Kenny fire his crew chief?
If he should have, or even supplimented his team with another opinion, it's too late in the season to do so, and chances of major improvement with a change right now are less than 50-50.
I wish you well, because I know that you will need all the luck in the world to succeed.

David,

I wish you well, because I know that you will need all the luck in the world to succeed.
LOL..that's funny, George. With 2 successful grown-up children..and another on his was..and being a grandfather..I'll already consider myself a success. But thanks anyway..I know your heart wasn't in the right place. :rolleyes:

LOL..that's funny, George. With 2 successful grown-up children..and another on his was..and being a grandfather..I'll already consider myself a success. But thanks anyway..I know your heart wasn't in the right place. :rolleyes:

Like Ed McMahon used to say, "You are correct, sir"..

By the statements made by some in this thread, it can be concluded that they do not have a clue as to what goes on behind the ropes and at the shops with these teams. Some who claim to be a "great businessman", by his statements has shown he is a very inadequate judge of talent in regards to team owners, crewmembers, crew chiefs, etc.

Every person and team goes through ups and downs. Sometimes you take a step back to incorporate a plan that hopefully will make you better at the proper time. The Bud team has been doing just that. With a little digging, facts could be found to verify what is really taking place so that assumptions don't have to be used to make "dumb" remarks about quality people doing their job in the best manner they know how.

Most sponsorships are not started or continued based upon being a constant winner. More exposure and return for the sponsors investment takes place away from the track. But since the team is the marketing tool, there is much that goes on at the racetrack, and sometimes owners/drivers/crew chiefs have pressing business to take care of immediately and with the time constraints and their mind busy, they don't always use the proper demeanor to convey this to a fan that wants their time.

And it would behove many to understand who actually has some ownership in some of these teams. It is not always public knowledge, but it does affect what positions are filled by who. Just as it is in all businesses, talent is not the only criteria for hiring, firing, success or failures of teams and crew chiefs.

Excellent post Virgil, as usual. Kenny and Brandon and the team are not having a bad year, they are solidly in the countdown, and therefore have a shot at the title. The sad truth is, even if they went on a tear, and won everything between now and Pomona, I really don't think it would affect their sponsor hunt as much as many would think. There are just not that many mult-million dollar, multi-year deals out there to be landed, there never have been, and now it's tougher than ever. Love him or hate him, it will hurt to not have KB back next year should it play out that way. I just don't see anything on the horizon that is going to open the floodgates and let us see big-dollar, corporate deals for thirty-something nitro cars, anybody else think different? Also, how many times have we seen Toliver land a new, non-automotive deal, and after a layoff, rather than a winning streak?

By the statements made by some in this thread, it can be concluded that they do not have a clue as to what goes on behind the ropes and at the shops with these teams. Some who claim to be a "great businessman", by his statements has shown he is a very inadequate judge of talent in regards to team owners, crewmembers, crew chiefs, etc.

Every person and team goes through ups and downs. Sometimes you take a step back to incorporate a plan that hopefully will make you better at the proper time. The Bud team has been doing just that. With a little digging, facts could be found to verify what is really taking place so that assumptions don't have to be used to make "dumb" remarks about quality people doing their job in the best manner they know how.

Most sponsorships are not started or continued based upon being a constant winner. More exposure and return for the sponsors investment takes place away from the track. But since the team is the marketing tool, there is much that goes on at the racetrack, and sometimes owners/drivers/crew chiefs have pressing business to take care of immediately and with the time constraints and their mind busy, they don't always use the proper demeanor to convey this to a fan that wants their time.

And it would behove many to understand who actually has some ownership in some of these teams. It is not always public knowledge, but it does affect what positions are filled by who. Just as it is in all businesses, talent is not the only criteria for hiring, firing, success or failures of teams and crew chiefs.

Even Virgil Hartman isn't immune to embellishment. I guess I am a little surprised that you feel the need to say "great businessman" when I never said such a thing. "Dumb" also is a very telling statement coming from a former team owner on a forum like this. Not impressive.
I'm a small businessman who has been very fortunate not to make the same mistakes three times over... I'm not asking for anybody's respect, because it doesn't matter and I really don't care. I do however feel that I have a sliver of common sense.
The point is this, I have my right to my opinion as anyone else, and in usual Mater style, it gets ugly fast when the opinion isn't the popular, nausiating, @ss kissing variety.. It does surprise me, and makes me a little sad that you fall into the same flaming catagory as some of the others here. :confused:

I have had my lessons on this site, so nothing surprises me. I do remember how I was totally assaulted a couple of years ago when I called out a certain team owner who's name rhymes with Evan Knoll for trying to BS the world. While I was being hung for public consumption, ( and 95% of the membership did take a bite), everybody else was sending him a get well card...
I didn't think it took much common sense for most to see what was going on, and boy, I was wrong about that one. Only a few could see through the smoke, and only one would support me... I'll expect more of the same after this post.

Anyway, I disagree with your concept. Winning "is" everything. Lots can be said for the hard working team who can support his or her sponsor with shows and autograph signings at their various franchises, especially in the middle of a robust economy and in the middle of a three year deal. I do however believe more is said when your guy is the world champ, or making headlines in a motorsport that is losing popularity among fans and losing corporate attraction and the money that comes with it..
I don't know Rob Flynn. He may be one hell of a wrench, a great man and a superb talent. If he is, he will be just fine, and it will be up to Kenny Bernstein to determine that, and he will get it right. Be that as it may, it is sponsorship time at Kennys, and I was giving my opinion..
To me, Kenny is "the" class of the sport and needs to be a part of the NHRA. I want to see Brandon next year on the track.
One member mentioned Jerry Toliver and his sponsor successes.
Well, he has had a lot of deals, but how good were they? Did the checks cash?
I can guarantee you that a class act like Kenny Bernstein will be a little more picky with the people he associates and shares his great name and legecy with.

Last edited:
Using the logic of some in this thread.

The off with their heads list...
Austin Coil
Jimmy Prock
Jon Oberhoffer
Jim Oberhoffer
John Medlin

That's just off the top of my head. I mean these guys obviously lost the knack of winning and should all get their walking papers to make room for someone who has a clue. Maybe a real businessman who could hire some talent.

I never did per say, just responding to the subject at hand which when I jumped in was Job security for crew chiefs. Not associating any of that with Rob Flynn in preticular! KB has let a lot of crew chiefs go over the years.

Well look what just happened over at AlAnabi-- Aaron Brooks moved out of the way for Dickie V and Kurt E. Hmmm, a first year team that [if memory serves ] won 2 races and is in 7th place with exactly 100 less points than the Bud team and kaboom they pull the plug on the crew chief. What these facts add to the discussion -- well I'm not quite sure. But I'm sure others will post their opinions.

Well look what just happened over at AlAnabi-- Aaron Brooks moved out of the way for Dickie V and Kurt E. Hmmm, a first year team that [if memory serves ] won 2 races and is in 7th place with exactly 100 less points than the Bud team and kaboom they pull the plug on the crew chief. What these facts add to the discussion -- well I'm not quite sure. But I'm sure others will post their opinions.

I don't think AJ was actively searching for a replacement CC.....It was more just the fact that Dickie was available. A lot of these big $ teams will pick up these all star crew chiefs just so the competition doesn't get them (example: DSR getting Lee Beard as 'team manager').

I don't think AJ was actively searching for a replacement CC.....It was more just the fact that Dickie was available. A lot of these big $ teams will pick up these all star crew chiefs just so the competition doesn't get them (example: DSR getting Lee Beard as 'team manager').

May be true:confused:, but why demote Brooks???

I'm hoping it's not as much a demotion, Barry..I'm thinking expansion.

Aaron rocks..they performed well. I think it's just an investment. Either way..Aaron will be just fine ya think?

Expansion yes , but from the outside looking, I would think he deserves more respect than this for the job he has done. Heck he has 2 wins in the first half of the season. And it's a first year team.

Expansion yes , but from the outside looking, I would think he deserves more respect than this for the job he has done. Heck he has 2 wins in the first half of the season. And it's a first year team.
Barry, how do we not know that this is all being done with class. Aaron didn't get fired..or even demoted as far as we know.

I'm guessing a tight knit group with plans for the future.

I guess we'll see..but I don't see many negatives coming out of this..jeez..what a stable they have going on.

Hmm, Rob Flynn, let's see, David Power's, Rod Fuller, contending for #1 and would have had it if it weren't for the count down.

So, why is this a topic on here? Many things go into a team for success and demise. To point the finger at one is not necessarily the correct approach IMHO.

Seems crewchiefs are a lot like college football coaches--too much credit when things are going great, and too much blame when things are in the dumper.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back