Is the clock ticking for Rob Flynn?? (1 Viewer)

Didn't Forest Lucas try these tactics? It sure as hell didn't work for him. Now that he has kept the same guy for a while(Walsh) Things are starting to happen for them. I believe nitro tuning is not near as easy as many here happen to believe.

True, but did/could Morgan hire anybody that was a real talent to begin with?
No disrespect, but couple that, while with working for a (trying to not be disrespectful here, but a better word isn't coming to me) silverspooner. no fault to the Lucases, but it is a hurdle they face. I don't see that as being attractive to any talented crew chief at this point in his career.
Not a good comparison, Kenny Bernstein, IMO, who is the absolute best and most highly respected person in drag racing vs. Morgan Lucas...
Kenny is also having to deal with hiring someone with a lame duck program. A difficult thing to do in today's market. I hope Flynn turns things around fast.

When you are without a sponsor for the next year, it's great to sit by the campfire holding hands and singing kum-by-ya and sharing the love with one another, but I just hope there is a multimillion dollar sponsor holding hands with you, or that you have some great pictures of the CEO in a compromising position.....
If not, and this guy needs to sell your program to his board of directors which in turn has to answer to the shareholders that they made some great friends for their millions. I just don't see a real solid future in the works.

It's not about love and friendship, it's about R-O-I people...

Last edited:
You make it personal by acting like an as#hole, George. Your attitude is an insult to any racer out there busting their as# trying to make it happen.

I'm not a racer my friend. I'm a businessman. With your insult as an indicator, you are probably equipped to do neither..
I do believe that someday you may realize that to do both at the same time successfully is very dificult. When it does come together, it's the best of times, but when one component is missing, tough decisions need to be made.

Trust me, I hope Rob pulls it together and goes on a run, for Kenny's sake..

Last edited:
I dare you to step into his shoes and do what he has done and then play the F'ng politically game that he plays where everyone knows better

Nancy everyone knows Rob Flynn has tuned some fast cars over the years, but I think George is right when he says "It's how the car's running today" that matters(pun)! Dale Armstrong at one time was the highest paid Crew chief in the sport, once he was released by Kenny Bernstein he had lost his edge. Anyone remember what a star Wes Cerny was after Indy '91? Running the fastest speeds in the history of the class, he gets hired away by Bernstein for a Butt load of cash! Who is Wes Cerny tuning for now?

I'm not a racer my friend. I'm a businessman. With your insult as an indicator, you are probably equipped to do neither..
I do believe that someday you may realize that to do both at the same time successfully is very dificult. When it does come together, it's the best of times, but when one component is missing, tough decisions need to be made.

Trust me, I hope Rob pulls it together and goes on a run, for Kenny's sake..
It's not an insult. It's just my astute observation about the tone of your posts.

Since you are such the businessman..I would assume you would make that tough decision and sh!tcan Coil & Medlin as well, right? pfft

--Medicated for your safety!!--

Nuff said about your astute judgement.:rolleyes:..

Funny that you bring up Coil..
Maybe you think his job may be in jeopardy, or are you too medicated to think that he may be changing positions soon?
He may be next, but unlike Kenny, John has a program in place for next year. I would bet Coil will soon be moving "up" to team manager instead of out.

Maybe you should talk Snake into rehiring Bob Brandt.:)
If you weren't such a closed minded individual, you might accept the possibility that people do not run hot forever. Some never run hot at all, and some never regain the old "form" simply because the competition has become more intelligent.

Last edited:
Nancy everyone knows Rob Flynn has tuned some fast cars over the years, but I think George is right when he says "It's how the car's running today" that matters(pun)! Dale Armstrong at one time was the highest paid Crew chief in the sport, once he was released by Kenny Bernstein he had lost his edge. Anyone remember what a star Wes Cerny was after Indy '91? Running the fastest speeds in the history of the class, he gets hired away by Bernstein for a Butt load of cash! Who is Wes Cerny tuning for now?

95% of the people here just don't understand the concept.

Tuning a fuel car is EXTREMELY difficult, there are many variables and many ways to accomplish the same end result. The truth is there is a very narrow window within which to operate the engine, clutch combination. Throw in the variables of the track condition and temp, weather, driver, parts breakage, crew mistakes and you get an inconsistent performance. It's those that can ride the knife edge and adapt to the variables that are the successful ones.'

Rob Flynn is a good crew chief, he knows both sides of the story and will be just fine.

The fact that they are a lame duck car at this point doesnt help but add the pressure I'm sure, but the decision for Budweiser to pull out has nothing to do with the cars' performance this year, that decision was made soon after InBev bought out AB. I for one, will no longer drink an AB product...and I'm from Missouri! Home of AB and have many friends that do or have worked there.

I love how people get in these forums and start blasting on people with years of experience in tuning and then cant understand why people are telling them to zip it.

Could be KB has nothing for next year and is just finishing the Bud deal and going home.
I remember back when he left the track (Baton Rouge I believe), went to St Louis for the Bud pitch and returned to La. for the race.
Brought the first BIG deal to the sport.
The 1st big deal?...i think a couple of guys nicknamed Snake and Mongoose had the FIRST big deal,um Hot Wheels ring a bell?

Nuff said about your astute judgement.:rolleyes:..

Funny that you bring up Coil..
Maybe you think his job may be in jeopardy, or are you too medicated to think that he may be changing positions soon?
He may be next, but unlike Kenny, John has a program in place for next year. I would bet Coil will soon be moving "up" to team manager instead of out.

Maybe you should talk Snake into rehiring Bob Brandt.:)
If you weren't such a closed minded individual, you might accept the possibility that people do not run hot forever. Some never run hot at all, and some never regain the old "form" simply because the competition has become more intelligent.
Nice to see you edit your post, George, after giving it more thought. Your added insight is appreciated.

Yea..if I were Force..and he had your extensive knowledge of the business world..I would certainly move Austin to a consultant role..oh..I'm sorry..that was Team Manager. He certainly isn't performing his role as crew chief. Ya know..after 14 championships..that don't mean jack. So in your executive decision, tough choices have to be made. Tell that to Coil, Dude.

And beings I'm so closed minded and medicated, do you see how absurd your line of thought is? Don't win..your gone!! Well, sh!t dude..we would have 4 car fields!! Maybe.

Nice to see you edit your post, George, after giving it more thought. Your added insight is appreciated.

Yea..if I were Force..and he had your extensive knowledge of the business world..I would certainly move Austin to a consultant role..oh..I'm sorry..that was Team Manager. He certainly isn't performing his role as crew chief. Ya know..after 14 championships..that don't mean jack. So in your executive decision, tough choices have to be made. Tell that to Coil, Dude.

And beings I'm so closed minded and medicated, do you see how absurd your line of thought is? Don't win..your gone!! Well, sh!t dude..we would have 4 car fields!! Maybe.

We'll see..

I think kenny should take him out back like old yeller and put him out of his misery since he so useless according to this thread.

Changing crew chiefs is very expensive at this point in the season. The new crew chief comes in and wants to run his "setup". That could mean all new clutch discs, pistons, fuel pumps, etc etc. Secondly, with the new testing rules, the new crew chief isn't going to have time to work out his setup, he is going to have to use qualifying as his test session, never the ideal circumstance. Thirdly, who out there sitting on the sidelines right now is better than Flynn? Flynn gets you qualified every week, and you are going to make the Countdown. We know Bernstein is not afraid to pull the plug on a crew chief in the middle of a year, he dropped Lee Beard after Vegas 1 in 2001 and went on to win a Championship with Tim and Kim Richards, but I think the Countdown and new testing rules make this somewhat impractical this year. Lastly, it could be that firing the crew chief could send the wrong message, like there is panic in the Bernstein pits. If you are trying to attract a new sponsor for next season, you don't need to be explaining personnel decisions to potential partners. You always emphasize the positive, and marginalize the negative. This is a team that has won races and championships before, it is in their muscle memory, and I am not willing to write them off from winning a race or two this year. Bernstein has run a fuel team for as long as I have been alive, I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he knows what is going on.

Last edited:
I seem to remember reading that they were trying out a different car.......
Does anyone remember that story? Anyway, the point is, quick triggers (Lucas etc.) cause more problems than they solve. Sure it is their right but it doesn't make it correct. Maybe let it play out and see how it ends.

The 1st big deal?...i think a couple of guys nicknamed Snake and Mongoose had the FIRST big deal,um Hot Wheels ring a bell?

Hot Wheels was probably a good deal at the time but for what is has been worth, I'll still stand on the Bud deal as the one BIG deal that made the rest of corporate America stand up and give drag racing a look.

I love how people get in these forums and start blasting on people with years of experience in tuning and then cant understand why people are telling them to zip it.

Charles no one saying who CAN'T tune a Fuel car! But just about every crewchief hits a funk sooner or later, some get through it and others get released.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back