Is John ready to race? (1 Viewer)

The Counterfeiter

Nitro Member
According to two sources, he will not be driving the car at test sessions. The challenge appears to be getting his legs strong enough to exit the car in case of an "emergency". I have been told that part of the licensing procedure for fuel drivers is a test to see if they can exit the car in a timely manner.
Should be very interesting to see if NHRA requires John to prove he is fit to drive before he returns to competition.

According to two sources, he will not be driving the car at test sessions. The challenge appears to be getting his legs strong enough to exit the car in case of an "emergency". I have been told that part of the licensing procedure for fuel drivers is a test to see if they can exit the car in a timely manner.
Should be very interesting to see if NHRA requires John to prove he is fit to drive before he returns to competition.

That will not be an exception..not even for one of the Greatest Funny Car drivers in history!!! He needs to be 100%....Physically and Mentally before he gets in the seat of that car. As much as I'd really like to see John out there again, I'd rather see him @ 100%, then struggle and risk further injury. I say, let my twin..(Just Kiddin Mary ;) ) Phil Burkhart Jr. run in that car all season. Let John take the year off, spend some time with Court and Brit as they learn how to drive A/Fuel, and enjoy being a dad at the races....:cool:

With the Countdown thing, John realistically could skip the first couple races if he needed to and should be OK to still make a run at the Championship. I agree he shouldn't get back out there until he is 100%. He'll keep working on it and he will be back sooner or later, I hope!

Dave

Good news is that he is walking on his own now. He'll be back when it's time.

With the Countdown thing, John realistically could skip the first couple races if he needed to and should be OK to still make a run at the Championship. I agree he shouldn't get back out there until he is 100%. He'll keep working on it and he will be back sooner or later, I hope!

Dave

I agree with you 100%. He could probably not race until Vegas at the absolute latest and still have a shot at the title as long as the car is running well when he steps into the seat.

He needs to be 100%....I say, let my twin..(Just Kiddin Mary ;) ) Phil Burkhart Jr. run in that car all season. Let John take the year off, spend some time with Court and Brit as they learn how to drive A/Fuel, and enjoy being a dad at the races....:cool:
I`m sure Castrol wouldn`t be real thrilled having John sit out. Absolutely he needs to be close to 100%, but there`s still a month til they roll into Pomona. Let`s see how he`s doing then.

I`m sure Castrol wouldn`t be real thrilled having John sit out.

You're probably right, Chris. But at the end of the day, what Castrol (and all the other sponsors, for that matter) really want is a winning car and a mouthpiece. We already know that if the car is up to par, Burkhart can get the job done behind the wheel until Big John is ready, and regardless of whether or not he's in the seat, you know he (Force) will get more than ample air-time, which is ultimately what it comes down to.

If I'm Castrol and John says he needs to sit out a year, I could care less as long as he's at the races and accessible to the fans and media.

Sean D

It would make me feel a whole lot better if he sat out. The kind of injuries he suffered were huge! I just wouldn't want him to undo all the healing that he has worked very hard for in one "pedalfest". I am not a doctor, but I am just not convinced that his ankle is ready for that kind of abuse! I would hate to see it explode!!!

What does John have to prove anymore? Nothing other than getting back into a Funny Car.

IMO I think it is time for him to consider turning the driving over to the next generation of drivers that he has assembled and become the team owner. He will always get plenty of air time even when no longer behind the wheel.

Don Prudomme is a good example of a champion driver turned owner and he is at the track for every event.

John isn't a young fellow anymore and a full recovery of his injuries is going to take time. The stress of driving is what took Joe Amato out of the seat. The same thing happened to Big Daddy.

What does John have to prove anymore? Nothing other than getting back into a Funny Car.

IMO I think it is time for him to consider turning the driving over to the next generation of drivers that he has assembled and become the team owner. He will always get plenty of air time even when no longer behind the wheel.

Don Prudomme is a good example of a champion driver turned owner and he is at the track for every event.

John isn't a young fellow anymore and a full recovery of his injuries is going to take time. The stress of driving is what took Joe Amato out of the seat. The same thing happened to Big Daddy.

would YOU want to have that run be your last-or retire on your own terms? :(

And i think the stress that took Joe +Big out was the stress of negitive G's-didnt both of them have detached retinas?

CASTROL is involved w/ drag racing because of John Force and they will want him in a funny car...It is about business, not if he is feeling 100%..
Ashley, Neff, Hight are not the reason or future reasons of Castrols success in auto racing...

CASTROL is involved w/ drag racing because of John Force and they will want him in a funny car...It is about business, not if he is feeling 100%..
Ashley, Neff, Hight are not the reason or future reasons of Castrols success in auto racing...

Terry,

I really don't think Castrol would send John down the track if he was not 100%. That is TOO much of a liability. Not only that, it may pose a danger to the person in the other lane. He has a great relationship with Castrol and they would want what is best for John.

I wonder if thats why we haven't heard what changes there will be to the countdown, maybe they're waiting to see how long John will need to sit, if any?

Wasn't there an alky driver back in the 80's that didn't have use of his legs. I want to say he drove the raysbetos (sp) funny car. I was just a kid then so I may be way off. Were the exit rules not in place then or is alky to nitro the difference?

John WILL be back in the car in Pomona and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he is in it in Phoenix testing. If determination was the only factor he would have been back at the finals. But he is extremely motivated and is working in rehab EVERY day to be ready to go. I have been going to Yorba Linda regularly on other business, but I stop in to see him each time I’m in town and I can tell you first hand that he is stronger, and looking better every time I see him. The last time I was there was last Friday (the 4th) and I was impressed by the progress he had made since I saw him just before Christmas. The casts are gone and he is looking like his old self.

Anybody who doesn’t think that John will race in Pomona, I’m taking action, and if I need a financial backer I have a feeling that I know a 14 time Champ that will cover me.

Alan

As much of a Papa John fan as I am, going all the way back to the Wendy's days, and only being a couple of years younger, hate to say it, but last year was a wake up call.

John has built the 'Next Generation' (Star Trek much?) he's been on his head and on fire more than I care to think about. But, a Fifty-mumble-mumble year old body doesn't heal like a 40 year old body. Having the butterflies ripped out of your hands as the car is breaking in half under your thighs just might be 'someone's' way of telling you He's has other things in Mind for you.

We call you 'Superman', but a much as we love and respect you John, you're not. You're the Father of Four Beautiful Daughters, a wonderful and charming granddaughter, you've have one heck of a son-in-law, and soon to be another.

I'd love for you to Walk Ashley down the isle, then Brit, then Courtney.

If you drive and win a 15th, will that be enough? Is it ever going to be enough? You mean as much to the Sport outside the car as you do inside. Your 'Force-isms' are worth as much as any record you've set, and I for one am happy that you 'Saw Elvis at 1000 feet' instead of over peanut butter sandwiches last September.

It's your choice Papa John, do what you must. I'm just glad you are here to listen to my opinion...

Robert, Phil, Alan R., please pass this onto the man.

Thanks
Karl

Well, it sounds like he is doing very well. Thanks for the update Alan. Determination is what drives him.

I was there Friday also. Bigger concern should be actual race cars to drive! They're not there yet!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back