Indy Advert On Tv (1 Viewer)

mike

Nitro Member
Did anyone catch this today? PJ would love it lol, but that's not what I'm in here to talk about, what I am here to talk about is why do the NHRA need to use Cory Mac's crash to sell a race? Honestly :rolleyes: If you need to use a crash as a selling point there is something really wrong. Maybe I'm just a sulker, and it's not really a bad thing :rolleyes:

I don't care because the campsite is booked and the flights are booked.

I am going to Indy BABY!!!!

Campsite 211 at the gate 4 campgrounds (Raceview Family Campground). It is a 70X50 site, so we are able to get BOTH of our RVs in one site!!!

I am STOKED can't you tell by my judicious use of exclamation points!!!!

ALL 'Maters are welcome to drop by for premium Kentucky Bourbon (maybe even some shine), ice cold Pacifico beer, and cokes and water if that is your thing!!!!

We get in on Thursday night ...staying until they kick us out ... see Y'all in Indy!!!

Michael, I totally agree with you. I thought it very tacky that any crashes were shown. I guess NHRA will do anything now days to put butts in the seats.

there will be some serious partying at indy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! got a lil serious at 50k brk @stanton this weekend but indy will surpass it easily!! "like we say if yer scaird jus say so". kelly ron still needs a partner for the cornhole game ,

Guys crashes have always been used to sell tickets! The day after Doug Herbert's explosion at Pomona, there were a TON of first timers I ran into. They saw all the footage of that Huge Mushroom cloud explosion played over and over again by the L.A. Press. And wanted to see for themselves so to speak. I bet after the Cory Crash happened, the Following race or two saw a bump in admission.

except for showing off CMac's crash, i thought it was the best NHRA commercial i've ever seen. i don't understand why they can't run this commercial at times other than the race, and on other channels.

Well... As long as everyone comes out safe you know crashes are the most exciting part (ever been to a Nascar race?)... It's once it happens and you think it was so cool to watch you realize for those two seconds of excitement you have to wait two hours for a clean up... Not a great trade off in my opinion... If it was the final class of the final round and everyone was okay, that would be a different story... :D

It's just advertisement...

CJ Curtsinger

In response to Joe, I've never really had the chance to see the adverts here, as I'm not from here. It just kind of ticked me off yesterday.

But yeah these photos deffs make me feel all weird...

gb-cory.jpg

gb-cory2.jpg

From Todd Myers post on The Kalitta blog

No real drag racing fan wants to see a crash, but there is no doubt they are usually spectacular and that grabs EVERYONE'S (Drag Racing Fans or not) attention. I'll give you an example. We (myself & a few friends) went to a local sports bar to catch the Seattle race. This is a very nice place and has 60" Plasma screens throughout (over 40 of them) and the race was on most of them. We were the only group into the race until the Ashley Force crash. After that all eyes were glued to the TV’s. People realized that we were really into it, and several moved into our area to learn more. If you remember the weather was great in Seattle and there were a lot of good close races. The newbies we very impressed, and I’m positive that a few new fans were made that day. I’m also sure that if Ashley had not crashed they never would have given the race a second thought.

Whereas I agree 110% that none of us 'true' drag racing fans want to see a crash while we're at the track, the reality is that crashes sell. If NHRA is attemtping to sell excitement, then they're almost going to HAVE to show a crash or two in their advertisements. Sure, we want them to show 4.428 second passes in Top Fuel, and 4.659 second passes in Funny Car, etc. We'd also ask them to show as much fan interaction with the drivers as possible in a 30 or 60 second slot, and we'd show door handle to door handle racing in Pro Stock... But unless you are actually at the track or have experienced those things first hand, they don't sell on TV. Unfortunately, crashes do.

BTW - National Dragster does it too - look at the preview edition of any Natl. Dragster and it has a Thrills and Spills section, complete (and often a majority) w/ photo's of crashes from past events at that venue.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back