In Memory (1 Viewer)

ProStockJunkie

Nitro Member
Girl, 17, dies in 500 km/h jet car crash
Teen had been racing since age 9
Vehicle veered off end of race trackWindsor-area girl Kendall Hebert Racing jet car on track near Cayuga
Oct. 2, 2006. 08:14 AM

CAYUGA, Ont. - A 17-year-old Windsor-area girl was killed yesterday afternoon when the jet-powered car she was piloting crashed at a race track near Cayuga.

Provincial police say Kendall Hebert of Tecumseh, who has been racing since she was nine, was travelling at more than 500 km/h (about 310 mph) on the quarter-mile track when the vehicle veered off the end of the strip.

The vehicle then crashed into a concrete barrier, bounced over the wall and rolled several times, ejecting her from the vehicle.

Emergency personnel at the track transported her to West Haldimand Hospital in Hagers ville, where she was pronounced dead.

The Toronto Motorsport Track is just outside the city of Hamilton.

Hebert was a Windsor high school student who started in Junior Dragsters and worked her way up to Top Dragster class, where runs hit 290 k/ph.
There are about 50 of the much faster jet cars in North America.

This is terrrible that she could still be alive if it weren't for the faulty seat belts! Any idea who made the seat belts?

I have a feeling if this crash happened in the US (and on an NHRA track), Kendall would still be alive today and telling us about this. :mad:

Such a talented, beautiful girl. What a shame. :(

I have a feeling if this crash happened in the US (and on an NHRA track), Kendall would still be alive today and telling us about this. :mad:

Such a talented, beautiful girl. What a shame. :(

Nice cheap shot at Canada and the IHRA. This was really uncalled for at this time.

Nice cheap shot at Canada and the IHRA. This was really uncalled for at this time.

Sorry John, I wasn't trying to knock the IHRA and Canada. As a matter of fact I thought that track was independent. My apologies. :eek:

There is a reason why I said that:

NHRA limits jet cars to 300mph. She was going 307. Not much, but at times it could be huge. Also, track officials should have inspected the belts prior to her making a run (maybe they did, but I didn't see anywhere that they have). I have heard that some independent track leave it up to other people. Like I said above, at least I thought it was an independent track....

My question is, why was a 17 year old driving a jet dragster? Nothing she could have driven prior to a jet car would have prepared her for this. Too young and not enough experience for a 300 mph car in my opinion.

Concerning the seat belt and her ejection from the car... has anyone ever survived a jet car crash?

My question is, why was a 17 year old driving a jet dragster? Nothing she could have driven prior to a jet car would have prepared her for this. Too young and not enough experience for a 300 mph car in my opinion.

Concerning the seat belt and her ejection from the car... has anyone ever survived a jet car crash?

I agree with you on that she was too young. Jet cars should have an age limit on them. I have read that many big-name top fuel pilots have said they would NOT try a jet dragster. That should give you an indication.

And yes, racers have survived jet car crashes before.

By the way, about the seatbelts:

I can imagine that someone was not doing their job checking the safety equipment on this one. But then again, who expects 6 week old seatbelts to fail? That's why I have a feeling that they were defective right from the factory and was not thoroughly tested by the manufacturer. If that is the case the girl's family should sue the living crap out of them. Now THAT would be a lawsuit that is warranted, not like that Big O vs Big M bullsh*t!

has anyone ever survived a jet car crash?

Guston has survived more jet car crashes then most drivers have ever been in....i do not agree with the argument that she was too young to be driving a jet car. She knew the car well, she had experience driving other race cars. There really is no type of car that can prepare you to drive a jet car. They are so different from conventional racecars in terms of horsepower distribution and such that the only way to become a good jet car driver is to drive one. She was on her way and now we must all mourn her loss.
RIP KENDALL

P.S. I seriously hope that the belts in her car were not Simpson or Impact! or else this could get even uglier

P.S. I seriously hope that the belts in her car were not Simpson or Impact! or else this could get even uglier

Simpson is in hot water already over what happened to Darrell Russell (for the record I don't blame them for that, just sayin'). If those belts in her car were Simpson it's not exactly going to look good for them.

Registered member said:
I agree with you on that she was too young. Jet cars should have an age limit on them. I have read that many big-name top fuel pilots have said they would NOT try a jet dragster. That should give you an indication.

Here is part of a bio excerpt used by NHRA for a certain 3 Time Top Fuel World Champion...

------------------------------------------------------------
At 19, Tony competed in his first NHRA event with a 1969 Super Street Chevelle.
In 1992, Tony moved up to a 160-MPH NHRA Super Comp dragster. His natural
ability and enthusiasm caught the attention of Wayne Knuth, who asked Tony to
drive his jet dragster, “Odyssey.” In five years, Tony had advanced from his 90
MPH Pontiac to the world’s fastest jet-powered car. He and Knuth toured every
corner of North America in 1993 and 1994, thrilling crowds at large and small
tracks with speeds regularly approaching 300 MPH.

According to DSR's website, here are the race car stepping stones that the future 3 time Top Fuel World Champion used.

Tony began racing NHRA sportsman cars in the early 1990s. As Tony progressed from driving sportsman cars to a 300 MPH Jet Dragster, a 250 MPH Alcohol Funny Car and two years at the wheel of the Peek Brothers’ 300 MPH Top Fuel Dragster...

Too young? Not enough experience? 'Big time' 'would NOT try'?

The jet dragster experience seems to have worked out pretty well for Tony Schumacher and his vehicle to vehicle, speed to speed progressions appear to be pretty darn close to those made by Kendall Hebert.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back