Melanie Simmons looking forward to competing in upcoming Quick 32 Sportsman Series (1 Viewer)

“I’m excited. This new series could not come at a better time.”
ORILLIA, ONTARIO (March 16, 2009) - Melanie Simmons can’t wait to get on the track.

The 24-year old is looking forward to competing in the new Quick 32 Sportsman Series presented by NAPA Auto Parts of drag racing for 2009.
“I’m excited,” said the Barrie office administrator recently. “This new series could not come at a better time. We needed a change.”

“I love the idea of racing at different tracks,” she continued. “And this series will be good for my sponsors.”

Starting in Junior Dragsters when she was 11 years old, Simmons has spent many a weekend at the track. For the past several years she has driven her Top Dragster, a car capable of times in the sub-eight second range at speeds up to 175 mph.

Sitting in the 255-inch LJ chassis is a 540 cubic-inch Chevy big block engine with an Enderle fuel injection system pumping the methanol alcohol into the cylinders. Painted a dark black, the car’s power gets to the rear slicks via a two-speed Powerglide transmission.

Most of her racing has been done at the Grand Bend Motorplex, but she said she is getting prepared to race at the other Quick 32 venues, such as Cayuga and St. Thomas Dragway. Simmons added that she adheres to the side of caution when racing, and if something isn’t quite right during her run, she will back off.

“I’ve got a lot of money and time in this car,” she said. “If I think it’s necessary, I will shut down early.”

Simmons does more than just drive the dragster. Her father Roger Simmons, a former racer, and crew chief on the Toyrific Racing entry, has her daughter perform mechanical duties on the car, and she believes this is an important aspect to her racing.

“Dad makes me work on the car also,” she said. “It’s important to be involved,” adding that she has a good rapport with Roger and the rest of the crew when it come to spotting issues with the car after racing.
And she listens to her father, who raced a 1972 Vega and walked away when Simmons got into the Junior.

“My racing hero is my Dad. He puts his heart into it. And he gets me to the track every weekend.”

Main financial support for the team comes from Delta Faucet Canada, Jackson Transportation Systems, and Barrie Harley Davidson. Crew members include Colin Steels, Dave Gregg, Suzanne Simmons, and Tanner Simmons.
Simmons said she will stay with the dragster at present, and has no plans to get into a door-slammer.

“I love the dragster,” she said. “I really feel comfortable. And this new series is going to be a sweetheart deal.”

The Quick 32 Sportsman Series presented by NAPA Auto Parts, Quick 32 Sportsman Series, will compete six times, several times with the Pro Modified Racing Association (PMRA), Pro Modified Racing Association, as well as selected special events, offering fans a great show of drag racing.

For 2009, dates include Toronto Motorsports Park in Cayuga, Ontario, starting with the season opener on May 16 and 17 and the season-closer on September 19 and 20, at St. Thomas Dragway on July 11 and 12, and the South-western Ontario track of the Grand Bend Motorplex on June 27 and 28, August 8 and 9 and September 5 and 6.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back